RE: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 9:45 AM
      Hi, Art,

      >From: "art" <asrcav8r@...>
      >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'
      >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:52:44 -0000
      >
      >Greetings, I had to delurk for this one.

      Well, I'm certainly glad you did

      >Every year for the past three Years, I have made Limoncello.
      >Unfortunately it turned in to one of the most popular Christmas
      >gifts from the kitchen (number two only to my wife's "cappuccino
      >fudge"). Last year I made a half gallon batch, bottled it in 3/8
      >Liter fancy bottles with fancy labels and wax sealed tops (layered
      >green and red wax). Long story short, I had to make a second batch
      >to replace the bottles my wife *procured* for her co-workers.

      My wife pressures me to bottle my gifts in fancy glassware, and I probably
      would, if she didn't insist on such impractical glass.

      >Yes, a shot of Limoncello in tonic water, or club soda is great (try
      >a shot of it un-diluted (95%) and unsweetened in seven-up or some
      >such.

      I though it might be a great drink. I use 40%abv alcohol for steeping, but
      it would be easy to put away some unsweetened stuff. Dang, I'm going to
      have to send my wife back for another big bag of lemons.

      >Has anyone used Vanilla? I started macerating 1 bean (scrapped) in
      >one bottle of 80 proof, add a 1/4 of white sugar, and enjoy. I am
      >thinking about other spices, herbs and fruits for summer drinks,
      >mint, strawberries, apples, cinnamon.

      I use a bit of vanilla bean to "temper" rums, and as a kid used to sip
      vanilla extract, which I still love. I have a flourishing mint patch, that
      I use mostly for cooking, but you've got me interested in the flavor of
      macerated fresh mint, as opposed to distilled extract mint. Another of my
      goals is a strong ginger liqueur, perhaps with a trace of lemongrass?

      Anyway, thanks, Art, for your response. You've got me thinking, and that's
      ALWAYS dangerous.

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2 10:25 AM
        Thanks for responding, Mark

        Like you, I also enjoy messin' with adding flavors, either through simple
        maceration, maceration and distillation, or oak-and-oxygen aging.

        A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
        raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
        loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
        the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
        it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
        lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
        pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
        presence of gel.

        Oh, I NEVER had any intention of stopping at limoncello. I also have some
        alcohol on cocoa powder, which extracts a lovely deep dark redbrown
        chocolate chocolate flavor, that I use to make creme de cacao. As I
        mentioned in another post, the ginger-lemongrass liqueur is sounding good to
        me.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        >From: "Mark Nelson" <mnelson@...>
        >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'
        >Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:48 -0800
        >
        >While most others in this group focus on the fermentation and distillation
        >processes, my favorite part of our hobby is the blending and finishing of
        >the product. I have rows and rows of jars lined up with various proofs and
        >flavorings. I travel through-out the Caribbean several times a year and
        >have
        >the good fortune to return with the best quality nutmeg, various citrus,
        >real cinnamon, vanilla beans etc. After the maceration process, the fun
        >begins. Take some vodka/rum (homemade of course) then add a teaspoon of
        >this
        >and that. Everyone has different preferences in tastes so experiment. My
        >wife loves raspberry vodka, I like rum with white oak for smoothness, a
        >very
        >tiny amount of red oak for a bite and some vanilla that sits in the
        >background to compliment the sweetness. Yum. Limoncello is great, but why
        >stop there?

      • Dennis Crawford
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2 10:52 AM

          >A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
          >raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
          >loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
          >the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
          >it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
          >lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
          >pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
          >presence of gel.

          Store in a wide-mouth jar, serve on toast for breakfast!!!

          :-))

          DC
        • David Eastham
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2 2:31 PM
            OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

            Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

            I've got a 25 litre mash going in my shed. Its minus 5 at the moment
            in there. I have a small band heater, and the fermenter is wrapped in
            a blanket. The mash has dropped from 22 Celsius to 18, so I've just
            plugged an oil filled radiator in. Gotta look after your baby. Be a
            lot easier if wife'd let me ferment in the house!!

            Dave E
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2 4:56 PM
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <deastham2000@...>
              wrote:

              > OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.
              >
              > Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

              Over there! <<<<<<<<< (left of screen at group webpage) [Links] >>
              [Recipes]. Hundreds of other also. Wal & others put in a lot of work
              to provide these clickable links.

            • Brendan Keith
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3 7:37 PM
                As much lemon peel as you can peel off.

                Some strong neutral spirit to soak it in.

                Enough sugar to sweeten it.

                I found that it was quite cloudy and had never seen the commercial stuff so
                I didn't know if that was correct.
                I ended up boiling it on the stove, with an ice filled wok on top, and it
                came out crystal clear.

                I later saw the real thing and it was cloudy. Live and learn.

                --
                Brendan Keith
                bkeith@...

                OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

                Recipe for Limoncello anybody?
              • Lindsay Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3 11:30 PM
                  When peeling, don't go into the white pith as this will give it a
                  bitter taste.

                  Cheers,
                  Lindsay.