Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'

  • art
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
      Greetings, I had to delurk for this one.
      Every year for the past three Years, I have made Limoncello.
      Unfortunately it turned in to one of the most popular Christmas
      gifts from the kitchen (number two only to my wife's "cappuccino
      fudge"). Last year I made a half gallon batch, bottled it in 3/8
      Liter fancy bottles with fancy labels and wax sealed tops (layered
      green and red wax). Long story short, I had to make a second batch
      to replace the bottles my wife *procured* for her co-workers.

      Yes, a shot of Limoncello in tonic water, or club soda is great (try
      a shot of it un-diluted (95%) and unsweetened in seven-up or some
      such.

      Has anyone used Vanilla? I started macerating 1 bean (scrapped) in
      one bottle of 80 proof, add a 1/4 of white sugar, and enjoy. I am
      thinking about other spices, herbs and fruits for summer drinks,
      mint, strawberries, apples, cinnamon.
      (SNIP)

      > A couple of days ago, my wife came home from shopping at Costco,
      the
      > ubiquitous warehouse-discount store, with a big bag of lemons so
      aromatic
      > that I could smell them coming through the door, and my thoughts,
      being
      > always linked to the olfactory stuff, turned to the recent
      discussion in
      > this forum on limoncello. Long story short, there are now 2 liters
      of lemon
      > peel macerating in 50%abv on my drainboard. With the powerful
      lemon-peel
      > scent on my hands, I thought, "How much lemon liqueur can we drink
      in a
      > year?" I had a thought - has anyone ever tried limoncello with
      tonic water?
      > It sounds like a great summer drink, especially if that lemon
      aroma stays
      > intense.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

    • Mark Nelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
        While most others in this group focus on the fermentation and distillation
        processes, my favorite part of our hobby is the blending and finishing of
        the product. I have rows and rows of jars lined up with various proofs and
        flavorings. I travel through-out the Caribbean several times a year and have
        the good fortune to return with the best quality nutmeg, various citrus,
        real cinnamon, vanilla beans etc. After the maceration process, the fun
        begins. Take some vodka/rum (homemade of course) then add a teaspoon of this
        and that. Everyone has different preferences in tastes so experiment. My
        wife loves raspberry vodka, I like rum with white oak for smoothness, a very
        tiny amount of red oak for a bite and some vanilla that sits in the
        background to compliment the sweetness. Yum. Limoncello is great, but why
        stop there?

      • Robert Hubble
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          Hi, Art,

          >From: "art" <asrcav8r@...>
          >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'
          >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:52:44 -0000
          >
          >Greetings, I had to delurk for this one.

          Well, I'm certainly glad you did

          >Every year for the past three Years, I have made Limoncello.
          >Unfortunately it turned in to one of the most popular Christmas
          >gifts from the kitchen (number two only to my wife's "cappuccino
          >fudge"). Last year I made a half gallon batch, bottled it in 3/8
          >Liter fancy bottles with fancy labels and wax sealed tops (layered
          >green and red wax). Long story short, I had to make a second batch
          >to replace the bottles my wife *procured* for her co-workers.

          My wife pressures me to bottle my gifts in fancy glassware, and I probably
          would, if she didn't insist on such impractical glass.

          >Yes, a shot of Limoncello in tonic water, or club soda is great (try
          >a shot of it un-diluted (95%) and unsweetened in seven-up or some
          >such.

          I though it might be a great drink. I use 40%abv alcohol for steeping, but
          it would be easy to put away some unsweetened stuff. Dang, I'm going to
          have to send my wife back for another big bag of lemons.

          >Has anyone used Vanilla? I started macerating 1 bean (scrapped) in
          >one bottle of 80 proof, add a 1/4 of white sugar, and enjoy. I am
          >thinking about other spices, herbs and fruits for summer drinks,
          >mint, strawberries, apples, cinnamon.

          I use a bit of vanilla bean to "temper" rums, and as a kid used to sip
          vanilla extract, which I still love. I have a flourishing mint patch, that
          I use mostly for cooking, but you've got me interested in the flavor of
          macerated fresh mint, as opposed to distilled extract mint. Another of my
          goals is a strong ginger liqueur, perhaps with a trace of lemongrass?

          Anyway, thanks, Art, for your response. You've got me thinking, and that's
          ALWAYS dangerous.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            Thanks for responding, Mark

            Like you, I also enjoy messin' with adding flavors, either through simple
            maceration, maceration and distillation, or oak-and-oxygen aging.

            A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
            raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
            loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
            the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
            it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
            lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
            pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
            presence of gel.

            Oh, I NEVER had any intention of stopping at limoncello. I also have some
            alcohol on cocoa powder, which extracts a lovely deep dark redbrown
            chocolate chocolate flavor, that I use to make creme de cacao. As I
            mentioned in another post, the ginger-lemongrass liqueur is sounding good to
            me.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            >From: "Mark Nelson" <mnelson@...>
            >To: <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: A good week stillin' and bottlin'
            >Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:42:48 -0800
            >
            >While most others in this group focus on the fermentation and distillation
            >processes, my favorite part of our hobby is the blending and finishing of
            >the product. I have rows and rows of jars lined up with various proofs and
            >flavorings. I travel through-out the Caribbean several times a year and
            >have
            >the good fortune to return with the best quality nutmeg, various citrus,
            >real cinnamon, vanilla beans etc. After the maceration process, the fun
            >begins. Take some vodka/rum (homemade of course) then add a teaspoon of
            >this
            >and that. Everyone has different preferences in tastes so experiment. My
            >wife loves raspberry vodka, I like rum with white oak for smoothness, a
            >very
            >tiny amount of red oak for a bite and some vanilla that sits in the
            >background to compliment the sweetness. Yum. Limoncello is great, but why
            >stop there?

          • Dennis Crawford
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006

              >A long time ago, I made some raspberry liqueur for my wife, who is a big
              >raspberry fan. Right after I made it, we had a taste after dinner, and both
              >loved it. A week or 2 later, I made up a picnic lunch for us, and threw in
              >the bottle of raspberry liqueur. When I went to pour it, I discovered that
              >it was completely gelled, and we had to stir it with a knife and eat the
              >lumps. Good, though. It tirns out that raspberries are high in pectin, and
              >pectin is used to test for EtOH, or vice versa. A positive test it the the
              >presence of gel.

              Store in a wide-mouth jar, serve on toast for breakfast!!!

              :-))

              DC
            • David Eastham
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

                Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

                I've got a 25 litre mash going in my shed. Its minus 5 at the moment
                in there. I have a small band heater, and the fermenter is wrapped in
                a blanket. The mash has dropped from 22 Celsius to 18, so I've just
                plugged an oil filled radiator in. Gotta look after your baby. Be a
                lot easier if wife'd let me ferment in the house!!

                Dave E
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <deastham2000@...>
                  wrote:

                  > OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.
                  >
                  > Recipe for Limoncello anybody?

                  Over there! <<<<<<<<< (left of screen at group webpage) [Links] >>
                  [Recipes]. Hundreds of other also. Wal & others put in a lot of work
                  to provide these clickable links.

                • Brendan Keith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                    As much lemon peel as you can peel off.

                    Some strong neutral spirit to soak it in.

                    Enough sugar to sweeten it.

                    I found that it was quite cloudy and had never seen the commercial stuff so
                    I didn't know if that was correct.
                    I ended up boiling it on the stove, with an ice filled wok on top, and it
                    came out crystal clear.

                    I later saw the real thing and it was cloudy. Live and learn.

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                    OK I dont mind experimenting but I'd rather have a heads up start.

                    Recipe for Limoncello anybody?
                  • Lindsay Williams
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2006
                      When peeling, don't go into the white pith as this will give it a
                      bitter taste.

                      Cheers,
                      Lindsay.