Re: molasses and steam distillation

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      Apparently beet molasses is inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
      smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
      You really need a good column to clean it up.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:

      > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad quality
      > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but it
      > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
      > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale has a
      > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
      > george

    • george papanikolaou
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
        Thank you waljaco for answering my message.obviously factories exhaust the good stuff and press the limits of molasses quality

        waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Apparently beet molasses is inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
        smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
        You really need a good column to clean it up.
        wal
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:

        > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad quality
        > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but it
        > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
        > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale has a
        > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
        > george

        Management team Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture Culture

        ---------------------------------

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          George,
          sugar beet is cr*p smelling. I can even smell it in beet derived
          refined sugar. Keep to cane mollasses and you'll do fine.
          Cheers,
          Rob.

          --- george papanikolaou <qwine2000@...> wrote:

          > Thank you waljaco for answering my message.obviously factories
          > exhaust the good stuff and press the limits of molasses quality
          >
          > waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Apparently beet molasses is
          > inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
          > smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
          > You really need a good column to clean it up.
          > wal
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad
          > quality
          > > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but
          > it
          > > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
          > > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale
          > has a
          > > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
          > > george

          > Management team Food and drink Culture club
          > Organizational culture Culture

          > Service.
          >

          > ---------------------------------

          Cheers,
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • george papanikolaou
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            Rob
            yes i admit that i am disappointed although when i add 10 per cent carbon in the distillate it becomes bearable
            george

            Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:
            George,
            sugar beet is cr*p smelling. I can even smell it in beet derived
            refined sugar. Keep to cane mollasses and you'll do fine.
            Cheers,
            Rob.

            --- george papanikolaou <qwine2000@...> wrote:

            > Thank you waljaco for answering my message.obviously factories
            > exhaust the good stuff and press the limits of molasses quality
            >
            > waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Apparently beet molasses is
            > inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
            > smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
            > You really need a good column to clean it up.
            > wal
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad
            > quality
            > > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but
            > it
            > > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
            > > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale
            > has a
            > > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
            > > george

            > Management team Food and drink Culture club
            > Organizational culture Culture

            > Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, george papanikolaou
              <qwine2000@...> wrote:

              > Rob
              > yes i admit that i am disappointed although when i add 10 per
              cent carbon in the distillate it becomes bearable
              > george

              Hi George,

              Beet molasses can be used as a feedstock, but IMHO only if you are
              making NEUTRAL ethanol for later flavouring/mascerating. Go to the
              library,
              Click [Books]
              Get the first book on the list, 'Distillation & Denaturing, 1907'
              Read chapters IX and X
              All you ever wanted to know about beets and beet molasses.

              When you're through with that, have a look at 'Molasses as a
              Feedstock', by J.E.Murtagh, same list, further down. It will give
              you insight as to how molasses should be prepared before
              fermentation.

              I recommend these books as primers for anyone interested in beverage
              distilling as a hobby. There's much to be learned from how it was
              done commercially in bygone eras.

            • george papanikolaou
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                Harry
                Thank you for the excellent library, I will try again
                greetings from Greece