EXTRACTING ESSENTIAL OILS

  • jchelin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
      Many thanks for your fantastic web site, a great boon for the novice
      distiller.
      My question conserns the extraction of essential oils from botanicals
      mainly for making gin. Under the title of Flavouring - Essential Oils
      you describe methods for carrying out this task, under method 3 you
      describe the method using a "wee stovetop still" do you by any chance
      have the design of the Condenser that is used.
      I tried the method using an Esspresso pot which I can say works quite
      well except for seperating the oil from the liquid, mineral spirit is
      mentioned for adding to the mixture to enable seperation, could you
      give me a commercial name for mineral spirit and how much do you add
      to the liquid.
      Hope somebody can help, yet again many thanks.
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2006
        jchelin,

        If you want, email me offline, and I'll show you a photo of my "wee stovetop
        still" (which is all the design info you'll need), along with some gin
        recipes and procedures. Normally, I'd just do it online, but ir's easier
        when I can do attachments.

        I'm thinking of making a couple more of the tiny stills for other flavor
        extractions, because the gin essence flavor permeates the metal of the
        still, and would flavor subsequent distillations.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        >From: "jchelin" <jchelin@...>
        >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Distillers] EXTRACTING ESSENTIAL OILS
        >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:03:03 -0000
        >
        >Many thanks for your fantastic web site, a great boon for the novice
        >distiller.
        >My question conserns the extraction of essential oils from botanicals
        >mainly for making gin. Under the title of Flavouring - Essential Oils
        >you describe methods for carrying out this task, under method 3 you
        >describe the method using a "wee stovetop still" do you by any chance
        >have the design of the Condenser that is used.
        >I tried the method using an Esspresso pot which I can say works quite
        >well except for seperating the oil from the liquid, mineral spirit is
        >mentioned for adding to the mixture to enable seperation, could you
        >give me a commercial name for mineral spirit and how much do you add
        >to the liquid.
        >Hope somebody can help, yet again many thanks.

        Windows Live Spaces is here! It�s easy to create your own personal Web site.
        http://spaces.live.com/signup.aspx