molasses and steam distillation

  • qwine2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
      i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad quality
      with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but it
      is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
      distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale has a
      boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
      george
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
        Apparently beet molasses is inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
        smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
        You really need a good column to clean it up.
        wal
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:

        > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad quality
        > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but it
        > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
        > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale has a
        > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
        > george

      • george papanikolaou
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
          Thank you waljaco for answering my message.obviously factories exhaust the good stuff and press the limits of molasses quality

          waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Apparently beet molasses is inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
          smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
          You really need a good column to clean it up.
          wal
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:

          > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad quality
          > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but it
          > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
          > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale has a
          > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
          > george

          Management team Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture Culture

          ---------------------------------

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
            George,
            sugar beet is cr*p smelling. I can even smell it in beet derived
            refined sugar. Keep to cane mollasses and you'll do fine.
            Cheers,
            Rob.

            --- george papanikolaou <qwine2000@...> wrote:

            > Thank you waljaco for answering my message.obviously factories
            > exhaust the good stuff and press the limits of molasses quality
            >
            > waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Apparently beet molasses is
            > inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
            > smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
            > You really need a good column to clean it up.
            > wal
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad
            > quality
            > > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but
            > it
            > > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
            > > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale
            > has a
            > > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
            > > george

            > Management team Food and drink Culture club
            > Organizational culture Culture

            > Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • george papanikolaou
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
              Rob
              yes i admit that i am disappointed although when i add 10 per cent carbon in the distillate it becomes bearable
              george

              Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:
              George,
              sugar beet is cr*p smelling. I can even smell it in beet derived
              refined sugar. Keep to cane mollasses and you'll do fine.
              Cheers,
              Rob.

              --- george papanikolaou <qwine2000@...> wrote:

              > Thank you waljaco for answering my message.obviously factories
              > exhaust the good stuff and press the limits of molasses quality
              >
              > waljaco <waljaco@...> wrote: Apparently beet molasses is
              > inferior to sugarcane molasses (lots of
              > smellies) and has a reputation for making a terrible samogon vodka.
              > You really need a good column to clean it up.
              > wal
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "qwine2000" <qwine2000@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > i am experimenting with beet molasses but what i take is a bad
              > quality
              > > with a burned taste,it is getting better with carbon treatment but
              > it
              > > is still of inferior quality. I wonder if somebody has tried steam
              > > distillation since i believe it could solve the problem.Furfurale
              > has a
              > > boiling point about 168 celcious.I salute you all
              > > george

              > Management team Food and drink Culture club
              > Organizational culture Culture

              > Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------

              Cheers,
              Rob.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2006
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, george papanikolaou
                <qwine2000@...> wrote:

                > Rob
                > yes i admit that i am disappointed although when i add 10 per
                cent carbon in the distillate it becomes bearable
                > george

                Hi George,

                Beet molasses can be used as a feedstock, but IMHO only if you are
                making NEUTRAL ethanol for later flavouring/mascerating. Go to the
                library,
                Click [Books]
                Get the first book on the list, 'Distillation & Denaturing, 1907'
                Read chapters IX and X
                All you ever wanted to know about beets and beet molasses.

                When you're through with that, have a look at 'Molasses as a
                Feedstock', by J.E.Murtagh, same list, further down. It will give
                you insight as to how molasses should be prepared before
                fermentation.

                I recommend these books as primers for anyone interested in beverage
                distilling as a hobby. There's much to be learned from how it was
                done commercially in bygone eras.

              • george papanikolaou
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2006
                  Harry
                  Thank you for the excellent library, I will try again
                  greetings from Greece