Method for distilling on the grains in a direct fired or electric still.

  • Murphy-Marsh, Leigh
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 5:42 AM
      I posted this in the new distillers board. Wondered what you guys
      thought about the idea.

      Look Guys, I know distilling on the grains is a big no-no in an eletric
      still but has anyone tried doing it by placing the grains in a Mesh sock
      and suspending it above the element? Like a big tea bag. You could
      filter out the really coarse pieces in a strainer and then remove all
      the fine pieces too small for the mesh strainer in a piece of cloth to
      prevent them from burning. You should end up with just liquid and bigger
      bits that wont go through the fine mesh. Chuck the mesh bag in with the
      grains in it (with some sort of protection to keep it from touching the
      element) and bobs your uncle. I don't do grain as it's too much trouble
      but if it works it might help out you guys that want to.
      Cheers,
      Leigh.

      Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:44:24 -0000
      From: "morganfield1" <morganfield1@...>
      Subject: Re: Corn conversion...

      And one more thing. I believe to make good wiskey, you must ferment "on
      the grain" and sparge before distilling. Some will distill on the grain
      also, but you must have a still built for that or you'll have a nasty
      mess at the end.
      Tip one, Morgan

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 8:33 AM
        Well, I've tried mesh covered heating element approach which is quite
        similar. The problem is that some of the finer husks get through and
        get burned to the element. Not enough to spoil the whiskey but PITA
        to clean. Your idea could work with fine enough mesh. Another big
        problem with on the grains approach is incomplete fermentation if you
        do not agitate the fermenter every now and then.

        - Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Murphy-Marsh, Leigh"
        <Leigh.Murphy-Marsh@...> wrote:

        > I posted this in the new distillers board. Wondered what you guys
        > thought about the idea.
        >
        > Look Guys, I know distilling on the grains is a big no-no in an
        eletric
        > still but has anyone tried doing it by placing the grains in a Mesh
        sock
        > and suspending it above the element? Like a big tea bag. You could
        > filter out the really coarse pieces in a strainer and then remove
        all
        > the fine pieces too small for the mesh strainer in a piece of cloth
        > prevent them from burning. You should end up with just liquid and
        bigger
        > bits that wont go through the fine mesh. Chuck the mesh bag in with
        the
        > grains in it (with some sort of protection to keep it from touching
        the
        > element) and bobs your uncle. I don't do grain as it's too much
        trouble
        > but if it works it might help out you guys that want to.
        > Cheers,
        > Leigh.
        >

        > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:44:24 -0000
        > From: "morganfield1" <morganfield1@...>
        > Subject: Re: Corn conversion...
        >
        > And one more thing. I believe to make good wiskey, you must
        ferment "on
        > the grain" and sparge before distilling. Some will distill on the
        grain
        > also, but you must have a still built for that or you'll have a
        nasty
        > mess at the end.
        > Tip one, Morgan
        >
        > This message and any attached files may contain information that is
        confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use
        by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or
        the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended
        recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error
        and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or
        attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the
        information therein. If you have received this message in error
        please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 8:46 AM
          An allied approach is taken by the raki distillers of Crete (more than
          likely grappa guys too). Put a false bottom in above the heat source.
          Part fill that with water if necessary. Put everything else ontop of
          the false bottom.
          This in effect heats the bulk by steam.
          My niggling worry is making sure you get enough liquid returning
          underneath to cover the elements.
          Cheers
          Rob.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 11:30 AM
            --- Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

            > An allied approach is taken by the raki distillers of Crete (more than
            > likely grappa guys too). Put a false bottom in above the heat source.
            > Part fill that with water if necessary. Put everything else ontop of
            > the false bottom.
            > This in effect heats the bulk by steam.
            > My niggling worry is making sure you get enough liquid returning
            > underneath to cover the elements.

            If the false bottom is like that of a lauter tun, then it sounds feasible in
            additioin to the fact that the perforations allow the liquid return. Also, as
            long as you put enough water in to at least reack the false bottom, you're
            guaranteed to keep the elements covered through the entire run.

            Trid