Re: [Distillers] Condensing (was a load of cobblers)

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2006
      There are some interesting comments here.

      In the past, there has been discussions about how long the condensor coil should be. In other words, how long should the quarter-inch (8mm) copper tube be before forming it into a coil.

      The popular belief was that one needed 6 or 8 feet of tube tightly coiled up to get a condensor coil that would really cool down the steam and convert it.

      My still plans were from the Internet and the plans said use a metre (39.5 inches) of 8 mm tube to get about 10 coils and mount the assembly in the condensor column. This was demed as sufficient giving that you have a suitable pump (if using a holding tank) to pump water through the coil as cooler outside ambient air would be passing over the coil as well. Case in point - a pot still using air-cooled condensor coils only.

      My setup works well.

      Regards, bwyze

      J0n <luthjej@...> wrote:

      > This also makes me think of another issue. Since I get a few liters
      > of spirit out of the still, a few liters of air must flow in to
      > compensate. Isn't it scary to think of that air mixed with alcohol
      > vapour in the still? (Unless, as discussed above, the fact that not
      > all the alcohol is ever condensed means that the net flow is actually
      > out of the still, not in???)

      Yes, there is a volume of air sucked back in to the condenser ... it's
      not a huge quantity, but it is there.

      I have seen it proved many a time by immersion of the condensate tube in
      the collection container - the liquid gets sucked back up into the tube
      .... I also think that this may draw more steam up the column by
      creating a slightly lower pressure area (purely a guess on my part) ...

      So, by sucking air back up into the condenser (i.e. not allowing the
      steam mixture to escape), one would think that the vapour within the
      condenser is allowed to remain saturated with ethanol vapour, so
      therefore only the very last volume of vapour within the still, just
      before shutdown, may exhibit the symptom which you describe ...

      Which, if true, would negate the claim of the manufacturer in question,
      unless the condenser were kept precisely at the required temperature to
      condense 99% of the ethanol vapour yet still be hot enough to maintain
      the fusels in the vapour stage.

      Active carbon is a far easier option imho!

      As for implosion .... many a time have I seen apparatus been cooled down
      rapidly without being open to the atmosphere (deliberately - wanting to
      see if there was significant negative pressure generated) ... it doesn't
      even create enough suction through the collector tube to collapse it
      (the silicone tube) - let alone create enough negative pressure to
      collapse the whole contraption.

      There were plans to install a vacuum relief valve, but after seeing the
      results of the experiments - it was deemed not worth the effort.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • joeatsalot
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
        > Yes, there is a volume of air sucked back in to the condenser ... it's
        > not a huge quantity, but it is there.
        >
        > I have seen it proved many a time by immersion of the condensate
        tube in
        > the collection container - the liquid gets sucked back up into the tube

        Interesting! It's good to know it really does happen in practice.
      • joeatsalot
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
          Yeah! Go perverse! I would love to see a still explode, too. Hmm... in
          a large paddock perhaps?

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

          > Man, this may be perverse but I would love to see my 50 litre, heavy
          stainless steel beer keg, which is my boiler, slowly implode. Implode
          right? Not explode and hurt someone but implode as going up it's own ass.
        • Andrew Bugal
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
            Mate,

            Read my message again. I said IMLPODE NOT explode. Slight difference in direction.

            Regards,

            bwyze

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
              I read your message right, and you read mine right. I meant I'd like
              to see one explode as well as seeing one implode.
              I haven't heard of any exploding, though, so it might be less likely
              than it seems. And I can't imagine a heavy SS keg imploding either,
              though hopefully somebody in this group will try it and prove us wrong.

              Cheers

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

              > Mate,
              >
              > Read my message again. I said IMLPODE NOT explode. Slight
              difference in direction.

              > Regards,
              >
              > bwyze
              >
              > joeatsalot <joeatsalot@...> wrote:
              > Yeah! Go perverse! I would love to see a still explode, too. Hmm... in
              > a large paddock perhaps?
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal wrote:
              > >
              > > Man, this may be perverse but I would love to see my 50 litre, heavy
              > stainless steel beer keg, which is my boiler, slowly implode. Implode
              > right? Not explode and hurt someone but implode as going up it's own
              ass.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Andrew Bugal
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                you are probably right mate. Guerss I better get the Darwin award dusted off.

                Bwyze

                joeatsalot <joeatsalot@...> wrote:
                I read your message right, and you read mine right. I meant I'd like
                to see one explode as well as seeing one implode.
                I haven't heard of any exploding, though, so it might be less likely
                than it seems. And I can't imagine a heavy SS keg imploding either,
                though hopefully somebody in this group will try it and prove us wrong.

                Cheers

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal wrote:

                > Mate,
                >
                > Read my message again. I said IMLPODE NOT explode. Slight
                difference in direction.

                > Regards,
                >
                > bwyze
                >
                > joeatsalot wrote:
                > Yeah! Go perverse! I would love to see a still explode, too. Hmm... in
                > a large paddock perhaps?
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal wrote:
                > >
                > > Man, this may be perverse but I would love to see my 50 litre, heavy
                > stainless steel beer keg, which is my boiler, slowly implode. Implode
                > right? Not explode and hurt someone but implode as going up it's own
                ass.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links