92 per cent whisky

  • Brian Bashford
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      Distillery to revive an old recipe for a 92 per cent alcohol whisky which is
      quadruple distilled. I can't imagine it would have much of a whisky flavor
      left after 4 distillations.

      See here .

      http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/27/D8G1LLO00.html

      Brian.

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
        It all depends on cuts. The flavor is there if you use wider cuts.
        Ever read the corn whiskey book by Ian Smiley?

        - Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Bashford" <tipitina@...>
        wrote:

        > Distillery to revive an old recipe for a 92 per cent alcohol whisky
        which is
        > quadruple distilled. I can't imagine it would have much of a
        whisky flavor
        > left after 4 distillations.
        >

        > See here .
        >

        > http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/27/D8G1LLO00.html
        >

        > Brian.

      • Gregory Bloom
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
          I dunno, at 92%, they're not leaving a whole lot of room for congeners, regardless of cuts. On the other hand, something like 80% of the flavor of whiskey comes from the charred oak (or whatever wood you choose) when you age it, so even if it ends up like vodka out of the still, you could still come pretty close to the flavor of whiskey if you age it well on charred oak. I would guess there'd be more taste difference between a double and triple distilled than between a triple and quadruple distilled spirit. I believe Irish whiskey (and some Scotch) is triple-distilled, and it turns out allright.

          wrote:

          > Distillery to revive an old recipe for a 92 per cent alcohol whisky
          which is
          > quadruple distilled. I can't imagine it would have much of a
          whisky flavor
          > left after 4 distillations.
          >

          > See here .
          >

          > http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/27/D8G1LLO00.html
          >

          > Brian.

          Management team Food and drink Culture club Organizational culture Culture

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
            I am not sure that whisky was aged in the 17th century in a way
            similar to brandy. The recipes suggest dried fruits and spices!
            wal