Re: [Distillers] Re: Baking soda + Citric acid ( without type-o's )

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28 5:01 AM
      --- Gregory Bloom <gjbloom@...> wrote:

      > Rob
      >
      > What I proposed was a totally bunk theory, but I posted the question
      > to the sci.chem usenet newsgroup and got a thoughtful reply that
      > explains the potential advantage of adding citric acid right before
      > distilling to control colored amines, while not encoraging
      > re-formation of ethyl acetate. But it doesn't address why
      > citric acid might make the flavor BETTER than bicarb alone. Also, I
      > have a hard time believing that there'd be enough protein in the
      > strippate to cause a coloring problem in the first place, unless
      > there was boil-over or foaming of wash itself into the strippate.
      >
      ><snip>
      Unless you've done something really odd during fermentation, all washes
      are acidic (easily enough to not have to worry about amines etc). If
      you distil this you won't have amines in your strippate, and hence no
      colours. However, adding bicarb before stripping will cause you grief.
      Unless you reacidify prior to stripping!
      Going back to your description of the product; by "better" do you mean
      more neutral? If so what smells/tastes are missing? This may give us a
      clue of what you decomposed/eliminated.
      Cheers,
      Rob.
      p.s. imines, formed from amines and aldehydes/ketones are normally
      colourless unless the imine group is in conjugation with unsaturated
      bonds, particularly large aromatic systems. This is not the case with
      amino acid amine groups.

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com