Tropical fruit wines and liqueurs

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2006
      Last week I spent holidaying in Cairns which is located in tropical
      north Queensland (Australia). It is a marvellous place where
      rainforested mountains meet the sea, and the Great Barrier Reef is not
      far out.
      While there I noticed a number of wineries that were using locally
      grown exotic tropical fruits. I did not get a chance to discuss their
      recipes but from the literature one needs to adjust the sugar and acid
      balance to levels similar to grape wines so the ratio of
      fruit:water:sugar is about 3:3:1 or 2:4:1.
      Here are some sites -
      1)Golden Drop Winery
      http://www.goldendrop.com.au
      2)Paradise Wines
      http://www.paradisewines.com.au
      3)Murdering Point Winery
      http://www.murderingpointwinery.com.au
      4)Shannonvale Tropical Fruit Winery
      http://www.shannonvalewine.com.au
      5) Pacific Blue winery
      http://www.pacificbluewinery.com

      A good site for Fruit Wines is Chpt 21 of 'The Home Winemakers Manual'
      by Lum Eisenman -
      http://www.homebrewit.com/winemakers.pdf

      Of even more interest is a new artisanal or boutique distillery just
      south of Mareeba which is a rare find in Australia:
      "Mt Uncle Distillery is nestled among avocado and macadamia nut
      orchards as well as banana plantations that provide the lady finger
      bananas for the 'Elixir de Musa' Mt Uncle's flagship liqueur."
      The distillery has a new Holstein still from Germany and they plan to
      produce rums shortly, something I picked up while tasting their
      liqueurs. Here is the site -
      Mt Uncle Distillery
      http://www.mtuncle.com

      wal