MICIO I NEED YOUR GRAPPA ADVICE

  • polenta222
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2006
      Micio, several months ago I had a traditional 30-liter copper pot
      still sent from my family's village in Northern Italy. I wanted to
      make grappa as my grandfather did and you gave me good advice. First
      I made my usual Zindfandel wine, then I made a batch of second wine---
      50 gallons---and you suggested that I make my grappa (brandy really)
      from the second wine. You also told me how to prepare my new still,
      thank you for that. This past weekend I finally distilled 5 gallons
      of my second wine and was stunned at the good results. The first half
      gallon was fragrant, smooth, really wonderful---far more enjoyable,
      in my opinion, than the $40 per pint commercial grappa I buy at the
      liquor store. This was a big surprise to me. My intention was to do
      a double distillation and then cut the result with distilled water as
      you suggested. But the flavor was so good in the first distillation
      that I was tempted to just stop and enjoy what I had created.
      Instead, I kept distilling until I had yielded a gallon. The flavor
      at that point was deteriorating so I stopped. Micio, I do not have a
      thermometer on my still so I am doing this the old fashioned way, by
      nose and flavor. So here's my questions: 1) Is it okay to just do a
      single distillation and leave it at that? If so, I am assuming that
      I would stop collecting somewhere around 1/2 gallon (from a starting
      wine batch of 5 gallons) because that's where my nose told me that I
      was coming to the "wet cardboard smell" that you warned me about. 2)
      If I do a second distillation of the gallon that I collected on my
      first run, approximately how much heads and tails should I estimate.
      I'm thinking I would discard 100 mm heads, and maybe just keep
      tasting the batch and stop collecting when the flavor and smell
      started changing. Can you advise me. The final two questions: After
      I have done my second distillation, how much water should I add to
      cut it? Is there a benchmark or rule of thumb about that? Last
      question: My Italian cousins tell me to swirl my finished grappa in a
      bottle and if it leaves a crown of bubbles that means it's good.
      What is this old tradtion based on? Thank you Micia. Of all the
      advice I have read, yours has helped me the most. Ciao. Dan
    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi, Dan.
        Nice to hear you.

        Answering to your post:

        > of my second wine and was stunned at the good results. The first
        half
        > gallon was fragrant, smooth, really wonderful---far more
        enjoyable,
        > in my opinion,

        I'm glad for this.

        But the flavor was so good in the first distillation
        > that I was tempted to just stop and enjoy what I had created.
        > Instead, I kept distilling until I had yielded a gallon. The
        flavor
        > at that point was deteriorating so I stopped.

        Should be better to keep separated the "core" of the head from the
        final part of that one. In fact you jumped in tails and now all your
        distillated is "contaminated" by tails.

        Micio, I do not have a
        > thermometer on my still so I am doing this the old fashioned way,
        by
        > nose and flavor.

        What happens if you are cold or having a flue?
        No, you must have at least three termometers: the head termometer,
        the first vapour termometer, the boiler termometer. If you have a
        pot still you can avoid to have the first vapour termometer, but
        it's necessary to have the other ones.

        So here's my questions: 1) Is it okay to just do a
        > single distillation and leave it at that?

        In your case should be better a second run to "cancel" the tails.
        Having a pot still it's compulsory a second distillation to sharpen
        the grappa. Such in this way you loose a little bit of aroma but get
        a lot of "roundness" (is this word right?)

        If so, I am assuming that
        > I would stop collecting somewhere around 1/2 gallon (from a
        starting
        > wine batch of 5 gallons) because that's where my nose told me that
        > was coming to the "wet cardboard smell" that you warned me about.

        Another test is to keep a little bit of grappa among your fingers
        and to rub those ones like you have to count money. If you feel
        something of "lube" you are into tails.
        Anyway, for a second wine of about 12% the quantity is,
        approximately: having 10 liters of wine you collect about 1.7 liters
        of liquid at 68%. This quantity is formed by: 0.17 lt of methylic
        alcool, 1.2 lt of "core", 0.34 lt of tails.
        So, the good quantity is about 1.2 lt. of distillate at 68%.
        But, don't keep as Bible words what I'm telling you: it's something
        in general terms.

        2)
        > If I do a second distillation of the gallon that I collected on my
        > first run, approximately how much heads and tails should I
        estimate.

        If you have a termometer it's very easy: till 78.4 °C is methylic.
        Just to keep a little bit of safety margin, is better to start to
        collect a little bit above this value, or to start to collect only
        when the last drop at that temperature was gone.
        But I can't say now (here in italy is 23.40 and I am a little bit
        sleeping)

        > I'm thinking I would discard 100 mm heads, and maybe just keep
        > tasting the batch and stop collecting when the flavor and smell
        > started changing. Can you advise me.

        Normally it's better to use the termometers and after, but only
        after, to confirm the termometer indication with nose and tongue.

        The final two questions: After
        > I have done my second distillation, how much water should I add to
        > cut it?

        There are some lists of the value of water to add to get the degree
        you want starting from the degree you have. There is also a formula.
        Normally grappa should be at 38-40-42 %.

        Is there a benchmark or rule of thumb about that? Last
        > question: My Italian cousins tell me to swirl my finished grappa
        in a
        > bottle and if it leaves a crown of bubbles that means it's good.

        This I don't know. As you know, when you add water to alcohol the
        volume of the mixture decrease and there is a release of bubbles
        that are the result of the decreasing of volume. May be your cousin
        was referring to this phenomena.

        > What is this old tradtion based on? Thank you Micia. Of all the
        > advice I have read, yours has helped me the most. Ciao. Dan

        Ciao Dan. Happy of the good result of my helping you.

        micio felice

      • Sven Pfitt
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
          I bow to your experience on points speciffic to making Grappa, but
          take exception to your comment on thermometers.

          The only point that a thermometer is really useful at is the vapor
          temp as it reaches the swan's neck (in a pot still).

          Monitoring this tells you everything you need to know about the
          process, including the temp of the liquid, which really is irrelevent
          because you can do nothing to change it but wait for the
          concentration to shift. Adding power does not change the liquid temp.
          It only makes it boil more vigorously, and gives you a greater flow
          of product.

          It is possible to run without a thermometer at all, but it takes
          closer monitoring and experience.

          Take your output in small samples of say 5% of the expected output
          until you reach 25%, collect in a single vessle until you reach60% of
          your expected volume and switch back to 5% samples.

          Don't mix them until they are all chilled below 25C/75F. Sample
          carefully and blend to reach your objective.

          Having a beginner try to pay attention to three thermometers will
          just confuse them.

          Best wishes.

          Sven

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
          <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Dan.
          > Nice to hear you.
          >
          > Answering to your post:
          >
          > > of my second wine and was stunned at the good results. The first
          > half
          > > gallon was fragrant, smooth, really wonderful---far more
          > enjoyable,
          > > in my opinion,
          >

          > I'm glad for this.
          ....snip....

          > Micio, I do not have a
          > > thermometer on my still so I am doing this the old fashioned way,
          > by
          > > nose and flavor.
          >

          > What happens if you are cold or having a flue?
          > No, you must have at least three termometers: the head termometer,
          > the first vapour termometer, the boiler termometer. If you have a
          > pot still you can avoid to have the first vapour termometer, but
          > it's necessary to have the other ones.

          ....snip....>
          > micio felice

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
            I beg to differ Sven,
            Although I don't have multiple thermometers, I can see a very good
            reason for having at least a second one. A head/take-off therm is
            obvious. I t tells you what the boiling point of your product is, and
            therefore an indication of it's purity.
            Having a thermometer in the vapour space above the boiler tells you
            what the temp gradient is along the column. To take extreme examples;
            if your boiler temp (vapour) is 100 degC then your column is maxed out.
            if your boiler temp (vapour) is at (say) 80 and your head is at (say)
            79 then the whole of your column is refining the fraction between those
            two temps: very efficient in therms of purity, lousy in terms of speed.
            There is definately valuable info to be gained by having the boiler
            thermometer.

            That said, it is not necessary or foolproof, and perhaps should be
            avoided be beginners for those reasons alone.
            You decide
            Cheers,
            Rob.

            Cheers,
            Rob.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Sven Pfitt
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
              "polenta222" <polenta222@...>
              Date: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm
              Subject: MICIO I NEED YOUR GRAPPA ADVICE polenta222

              Micio, several months ago I had a traditional 30-liter copper pot
              still sent from my family's village in Northern Italy. "

              1)Polenta was talking about a pot still.

              > Having a thermometer in the vapour space above the boiler tells you
              > what the temp gradient is along the column.

              I dissagree.

              The temperature gradient in a properly insulated column in in
              equalibrium is so small that we can not properly measure it without
              spending thousands of dollars on high precision thermometers.

              The boiler temp is irrelivent if you have a properly insulated and
              equaliberated collumn.

              If you don't, then all the thermometers in the world are useless.

              If you have a vapor temp of 100C in your boiler you aren't distilling
              alcohol water mix, you are boiling water.

              On the other hand, if you are in to tinkering and just wat to see
              what you can do with multiple thremometers, more power to you.

              Sven

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > Having a beginner try to pay attention to three thermometers will
              > > just confuse them.
              > >
              > > Best wishes.
              > >
              > > Sven
              > >
              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
              > > <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi, Dan.
              > > > Nice to hear you.
              > > >
              > > > Answering to your post:

              > > > half
              > > > enjoyable,
              > > >

              > > > I'm glad for this.
              > > ....snip....
              > > >
              > > > Micio, I do not have a
              > >
              > > > by
              > > >

              > > > What happens if you are cold or having a flue?
              > > > No, you must have at least three termometers: the head
              termometer,
              > > > the first vapour termometer, the boiler termometer. If you have
              > > > pot still you can avoid to have the first vapour termometer,

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                > Micio, several months ago I had a traditional 30-liter copper pot
                > still sent from my family's village in Northern Italy. "
                >
                > 1)Polenta was talking about a pot still.
                Point taken! and there fore my points are relevant.

                > > Having a thermometer in the vapour space above the boiler tells you
                > > what the temp gradient is along the column.
                >
                > I dissagree.
                >
                > The temperature gradient in a properly insulated column in in
                > equalibrium is so small that we can not properly measure it without
                > spending thousands of dollars on high precision thermometers.
                But not in a grappa still. Or indead any badly insulated still.
                Or any still when you reach then end of the viable distillable
                fraction.

                > The boiler temp is irrelivent if you have a properly insulated and
                > equaliberated collumn.
                >
                > If you don't, then all the thermometers in the world are useless.
                >
                > If you have a vapor temp of 100C in your boiler you aren't distilling
                sorry Sven, I was being extreme to make my point.

                > alcohol water mix, you are boiling water.
                >
                > On the other hand, if you are in to tinkering and just wat to see
                > what you can do with multiple thremometers, more power to you.

                Given a sterting abv of lets say 10% and distilling to 90%, surely you
                cannot argue that the temp difference is (a) measurable, and (b)
                significant? (99degC vs. 79degC).
                As this difference decreases, so your inaccuracies increase.

                AND NO, I'm not saying that the boiling point is variable. What I'm
                saying is, if the boiler vapour is nearing 99 then the column is empty
                of useful ethanol.

                Cheers
                Rob.

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • miciofelice2003
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Hi Sven.

                  In a pot still the bottom column thermometer is useless: a pot still
                  doesn't has column.

                  But my experience suggest that is very useful to have this when you
                  have a column.
                  I have to say that I was talking about my column: a very simple
                  column, made for grappa (that means a spirit full of aroma and not
                  so refined and pure as making vodka and gin).

                  When I'm in the middle of the "heart" the difference of temperature
                  bottom/head column is about 8-9 °C.
                  That means the "heart" is evaporating and condensing. I rimember
                  what a "guru" of home distilling is used to say: "the alcohol must
                  be manipulated, as the bread".

                  My column, and all the columns to make grappa in industrial
                  distillers, is necked, without insulation because must have an heat
                  exchange with the external.

                  If I insulate my column I'll collect an "heavier" spirit, richer in
                  components "tail-oriented", and I don't want it.

                  About the boiler thermometer I have to say that the boiler
                  thermometer is very useful: Morganfield wrote, some weeks ago, a
                  good post (I don't remember the number of it, sorry)about it.
                  I recognized in those words my behaviour in consulting the boiler
                  thermometer.

                  For example, when the head column temperature is 85 - 87 °C (and so
                  I'm in the middle of hearth collecting), the boiler temperature is
                  about 95 °C, in full tails zone.

                  And those tails are evaporating, believe me.

                  What avoid me to collect tails on my distillate is the capacity of
                  my column to knock down those tails. The column get this by cooling
                  the vapours.

                  In my humble opinion we have a completely different distilling way
                  because our spirits are different.

                  You look for the purity of spirit, I look for aroma, flavours, and
                  so on.

                  ciao a tutti

                  micio felice

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@...>
                  wrote:

                  > "polenta222" <polenta222@>
                  > Date: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm
                  > Subject: MICIO I NEED YOUR GRAPPA ADVICE polenta222
                  >
                  > Micio, several months ago I had a traditional 30-liter copper pot
                  > still sent from my family's village in Northern Italy. "
                  >
                  > 1)Polenta was talking about a pot still.
                  >

                  > > Having a thermometer in the vapour space above the boiler tells
                  you
                  > > what the temp gradient is along the column.
                  >
                  > I dissagree.
                  >
                  > The temperature gradient in a properly insulated column in in
                  > equalibrium is so small that we can not properly measure it
                  without
                  > spending thousands of dollars on high precision thermometers.
                  >
                  > The boiler temp is irrelivent if you have a properly insulated and
                  > equaliberated collumn.
                  >
                  > If you don't, then all the thermometers in the world are useless.
                  >
                  > If you have a vapor temp of 100C in your boiler you aren't
                  distilling
                  > alcohol water mix, you are boiling water.
                  >
                  > On the other hand, if you are in to tinkering and just wat to see
                  > what you can do with multiple thremometers, more power to you.
                  >
                  > Sven

                • miciofelice2003
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                    <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Sven.
                    >

                    > What avoid me to collect tails on my distillate is the capacity of
                    > my column to knock down those tails. >

                    Not "capacity". I wanted to mean "ability" .

                    Sorry for it

                    micio felice

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > "polenta222" <polenta222@>
                    > > Date: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm
                    > > Subject: MICIO I NEED YOUR GRAPPA ADVICE polenta222
                    > >
                    > > Micio, several months ago I had a traditional 30-liter copper pot
                    > > still sent from my family's village in Northern Italy. "
                    > >
                    > > 1)Polenta was talking about a pot still.
                    > >

                    > > > Having a thermometer in the vapour space above the boiler
                    tells
                    > you
                    > > > what the temp gradient is along the column.
                    > >
                    > > I dissagree.
                    > >
                    > > The temperature gradient in a properly insulated column in in
                    > > equalibrium is so small that we can not properly measure it
                    > without
                    > > spending thousands of dollars on high precision thermometers.
                    > >
                    > > The boiler temp is irrelivent if you have a properly insulated
                    and
                    > > equaliberated collumn.
                    > >
                    > > If you don't, then all the thermometers in the world are useless.
                    > >
                    > > If you have a vapor temp of 100C in your boiler you aren't
                    > distilling
                    > > alcohol water mix, you are boiling water.
                    > >
                    > > On the other hand, if you are in to tinkering and just wat to
                    see
                    > > what you can do with multiple thremometers, more power to you.
                    > >
                    > > Sven

                  • miciofelice2003
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2006
                      <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Sven.
                      >

                      > What avoid me to collect tails on my distillate is the capacity of
                      > my column to knock down those tails. >

                      Not "capacity". I wanted to mean "ability" .

                      Sorry for it

                      micio felice

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sven Pfitt" <the_gimp98@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > "polenta222" <polenta222@>
                      > > Date: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm
                      > > Subject: MICIO I NEED YOUR GRAPPA ADVICE polenta222
                      > >
                      > > Micio, several months ago I had a traditional 30-liter copper pot
                      > > still sent from my family's village in Northern Italy. "
                      > >
                      > > 1)Polenta was talking about a pot still.
                      > >

                      > > > Having a thermometer in the vapour space above the boiler
                      tells
                      > you
                      > > > what the temp gradient is along the column.
                      > >
                      > > I dissagree.
                      > >
                      > > The temperature gradient in a properly insulated column in in
                      > > equalibrium is so small that we can not properly measure it
                      > without
                      > > spending thousands of dollars on high precision thermometers.
                      > >
                      > > The boiler temp is irrelivent if you have a properly insulated
                      and
                      > > equaliberated collumn.
                      > >
                      > > If you don't, then all the thermometers in the world are useless.
                      > >
                      > > If you have a vapor temp of 100C in your boiler you aren't
                      > distilling
                      > > alcohol water mix, you are boiling water.
                      > >
                      > > On the other hand, if you are in to tinkering and just wat to
                      see
                      > > what you can do with multiple thremometers, more power to you.
                      > >
                      > > Sven

                    • king pin
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 2, 2006
                        Dan, I'm very pleased to see you had success in your grappa endeavor!! I've been away for so long I had to search through a few thousand posts to see how you made out :D