Re: A load of cobblers?

  • morganfield1
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
      Hi All,
      I have read that letting the product "fall" into the collection
      vessel allows fusil oils to evaporate on the way down. It would seem
      to me that, ethanol having a higher bp, fusil oils would be left
      behind, a bit counterproductive, JMSO.
      tip one, Morgan

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi to all following this thread,
      > (Snippity snips follow)
      >

      > > There is some advice out there that says have your collection
      pipe
      > > just above your collection vessel so that the spirit has to drop
      into
      > > the bottle. The reason for this is that some errant oils will
      > > evaporate with this action. Not sure about that one but
      > > hey....nothing lost.
      > I'm really not sure about that. I've also read it.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Andrew Bugal
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2006
        I must admit that all of my 'stilling is done outside.

        --- Andrew Bugal wrote:
        > the column plus THE INCOMING AIR THAT WOULD BE DRAWN INTO THE COLUMN
        > BY THE RISE OF WARM AIR
        There is no convection in a relfux column (or for that matter a
        potstill) because there is a constant temp and pressure gradient from
        the boiler to the condenser.
        If there were convection currents the product would be swept out of the
        still.

        > 2. We collect our product between 78C to 82 C (approx). Before
        > that temperature, the "evil" bits are boiled off which is what they
        > are supposed to do. Boil off! There is no need to trap them.
        They do not need to be collected into product containers. But if you
        value your life/eyebrows you really should condense them. Highly
        volatile vapours can be lethal. Some also have an annoying habit of
        "creaping", whereby the are heavier than air and seep through doorways
        undetected, until they reach an ignition source. PLEASE do not
        underestimate the hazzards.

        > There is some advice out there that says have your collection pipe
        > just above your collection vessel so that the spirit has to drop into
        > the bottle. The reason for this is that some errant oils will
        > evaporate with this action. Not sure about that one but
        > hey....nothing lost.
        I'm really not sure about that. I've also read it.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

      • joeatsalot
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2006
          > > ... our condensors the length has been calculated to give
          > > only enough cooling surface to ...
          >
          > To not affect our profit margin ...

          Haha!