Re: [Distillers] Re: Im using Baking soda with my sugar wash

  • Gregory Bloom
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2006
      Yep. You're right. The fizzy bubbles are from decomposition. That's why they call it "Baking Soda". (D'oh!) Fortunately, I don't do chemistry for a living.

      Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

      Greg,
      what you're seeing isn't (entirely) due to neutralisation of acetic
      acid (this is fast even at room temp). What you're seeing is
      decomposition of bicarb to carbonate (as utilised in baking):
      2NaHCO3 -> Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

      But your point about reaction acceleration due to heat is absolutely
      true.
      Cheers,
      Rob.
      p.s. the heating, with associated production of the stronger alkali
      (sod. carbonate) is the main reason for the really rapid increase in
      rate of removal of esters. Yup, if you use washing soda instead of
      baking soda, the reaction is better.