Brandy/Cognac

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
    • miciofelice2003
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
        This confirm my sentences: in fact in the link you posted is written "
        a bottle that is labeled brandy must have been produced from grape
        wine".
        So, "brandy" is the distillate produced by grape wine.

        If is produced with some fruits must have also the name of the fruit
        on the label.

        If the brandy is produced in a particular region of France (Petit
        Charente, Grand Charente and Charente Maritime) with a particular
        still named Charentais (this one must be copper made), by using some
        particular wines obtained from some particular grapes, following a
        particular method (first run named brouillage and secon distillation
        handled carefully), stored in particulars barrels made with some
        particulars woods and aged for some years in particulars places, is
        called Cognac.

        In Italy and in Spain and I think also in other Countries, of course)
        they do the same but what you get is called Brandy and not Cognac.

        So, I don't understand the reason to post the link you posted: is even
        obvious what is written on!!!

        Anyway I still don't understand to do what you are doing: the goal of
        the Forum should be the dissemination of knowledge about distilling,
        and not a place to talk endlessly about what in my opinion are foolish
        things.

        take care

        micio felice

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2006
          National pride often appears in discussions on alcoholic beverages
          which shows that they do have an important cultural role along with
          food. Its not only the Italians who make pomace brandy and 'grappa' is
          one of countless names (e.g. filu e feru).
          The link povided is informative for others at least(I hope!)

          'Rubbish' is an emotive word but strictly pomace and molasses is the
          end product (i.e. rubbish) of a process which has the prime purpose to
          make wine or sugar crysrals. The Romans used to make a 'vino piccolo'
          from pomace but I doubt if it was regarded highly. The best pomace
          brandies come from lightly pressed grapes which still contains a fair
          bit of wine rather than bone dry pomace. Possibly wine is even added.
          Relax... Creative provocation is a useful rhetorical device.
          Ciao,
          uaglio (wal)
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003"
          <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

          > This confirm my sentences: in fact in the link you posted is written "
          > a bottle that is labeled brandy must have been produced from grape
          > wine".
          > So, "brandy" is the distillate produced by grape wine.
          >
          > If is produced with some fruits must have also the name of the fruit
          > on the label.
          >
          > If the brandy is produced in a particular region of France (Petit
          > Charente, Grand Charente and Charente Maritime) with a particular
          > still named Charentais (this one must be copper made), by using some
          > particular wines obtained from some particular grapes, following a
          > particular method (first run named brouillage and secon distillation
          > handled carefully), stored in particulars barrels made with some
          > particulars woods and aged for some years in particulars places, is
          > called Cognac.
          >
          > In Italy and in Spain and I think also in other Countries, of course)
          > they do the same but what you get is called Brandy and not Cognac.
          >
          > So, I don't understand the reason to post the link you posted: is even
          > obvious what is written on!!!
          >
          > Anyway I still don't understand to do what you are doing: the goal of
          > the Forum should be the dissemination of knowledge about distilling,
          > and not a place to talk endlessly about what in my opinion are foolish
          > things.
          >
          > take care
          >

          > micio felice

          > > Brandy/Cognac
          > > http://www.pinkiesonline.com/brandy.htm
          > >
          > > wal

        • Andrew Bugal
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2006
            Micio,

            The members are a passionate lot and thirst for the knowledge of the origins of their hobby. As an Italian, you should know about passion.

            I believe this site is more than an encyclopedia on distilling. I also believe hobby distilling always involves a personal touch from somethings almost forgotten or recipes an older person just happened to remember when they learn a younger person is distilling.

            You are seen as a potential expert in the production of a spirit from times long past that is still produced today. How was it done? Who started it? How can I make it authentic?

            In other words, don't take it too seriously.

            (Bloody Volvo drivers)

            Best regards,

            Bwyze

            wrote:

            > This confirm my sentences: in fact in the link you posted is written "
            > a bottle that is labeled brandy must have been produced from grape
            > wine".
            > So, "brandy" is the distillate produced by grape wine.
            >
            > If is produced with some fruits must have also the name of the fruit
            > on the label.
            >
            > If the brandy is produced in a particular region of France (Petit
            > Charente, Grand Charente and Charente Maritime) with a particular
            > still named Charentais (this one must be copper made), by using some
            > particular wines obtained from some particular grapes, following a
            > particular method (first run named brouillage and secon distillation
            > handled carefully), stored in particulars barrels made with some
            > particulars woods and aged for some years in particulars places, is
            > called Cognac.
            >
            > In Italy and in Spain and I think also in other Countries, of course)
            > they do the same but what you get is called Brandy and not Cognac.
            >
            > So, I don't understand the reason to post the link you posted: is even
            > obvious what is written on!!!
            >
            > Anyway I still don't understand to do what you are doing: the goal of
            > the Forum should be the dissemination of knowledge about distilling,
            > and not a place to talk endlessly about what in my opinion are foolish
            > things.
            >
            > take care
            >

            > micio felice
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" wrote:
            > >
            > > Brandy/Cognac
            > > http://www.pinkiesonline.com/brandy.htm
            > >
            > > wal

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • polenta222
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2006
              Micio, I second Andrew's advice. Number 1, never lose your passion
              about our national drink. And number 2, you can't take things too
              personally on the site here. Just for the record your passion and
              knowledge have been priceless to me. I come from a long line of
              grappa makers, all of whom think they know what they are doing, but
              they have all given me pitiful advice based on, "It must be right
              because my grandfather and father did it this way." I have followed
              your advice and think I will make better grappa as a beginner than
              any of them because of you. Thank you for that. P.S. Please answer
              my question from yesterday regarding how to cut my second run of
              grappa (otherwise I will be forced to ask the foreigners on this
              site, god forbid). Mille Gratzie.

              --Dan Zadra

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

> [...]
              distillation
              > > handled carefully), stored in particulars barrels made with some
              > > particulars woods and aged for some years in particulars places,
              is
              > > called Cognac.
              > >
              > > In Italy and in Spain and I think also in other Countries, of
              course)
              > > they do the same but what you get is called Brandy and not
              Cognac.

              > > So, I don't understand the reason to post the link you posted:
              is even
              > > obvious what is written on!!!
              > >
              > > Anyway I still don't understand to do what you are doing: the
              goal of
              > > the Forum should be the dissemination of knowledge about
              distilling,
              > > and not a place to talk endlessly about what in my opinion are

            • miciofelice2003
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                Ciao waljaco!!

                Nice to hear from you.

                I was a little bit nervous, in fact, for some particular reasons
                and so i was not clear in my mind.

                May I correct you?

                Grappa is the general name; then in some particular regions of Italy
                they call it also in some other ways.
                For example, the "filu 'e ferru" (is in sardinian dialect, that
                means "metallic wire") is a particular grappa distilled in Sardinia.

                That grappa has that name because they say that the taste is quite
                strong and rough.
                An other interpretation is that to avoid to be discovered by police,
                the sardinian distillers were used to bury the bottles of grappa and
                to put a small metallic wire as signal of the place where the
                bottles were buried.

                Curious, isn't it?

                Ciao a tutti
                da

                micio felice

                > National pride often appears in discussions on alcoholic beverages
                > which shows that they do have an important cultural role along with
                > food. Its not only the Italians who make pomace brandy
                and 'grappa' is
                > one of countless names (e.g. filu e feru).
                > The link povided is informative for others at least(I hope!)
                >
                > 'Rubbish' is an emotive word but strictly pomace and molasses is
                the
                > end product (i.e. rubbish) of a process which has the prime
                purpose to
                > make wine or sugar crysrals. The Romans used to make a 'vino
                piccolo'
                > from pomace but I doubt if it was regarded highly. The best pomace
                > brandies come from lightly pressed grapes which still contains a
                fair
                > bit of wine rather than bone dry pomace. Possibly wine is even
                added.
                > Relax... Creative provocation is a useful rhetorical device.
                > Ciao,
                > uaglio (wal)
              • miciofelice2003
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Hi Andrew.

                  I think the biggest obstacle is the language: I know (at least, I
                  hope to) a little bit of english language, but this isn't my mother
                  tongue.
                  So, sometimes, happens to misunderstand a word.

                  Anyway, I'm feeling proud to belong to this site.

                  If sometimes I'm looking too passionate, please tell me.

                  If you need to know something about grappa distillation, let me know
                  and I'll do my best to help you to get a spirit coming from the past
                  (but with modern methods).

                  Ciao a tutti
                  da

                  micio felice

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

                  > Micio,
                  >
                  > The members are a passionate lot and thirst for the knowledge of
                  the origins of their hobby. As an Italian, you should know about
                  passion.

                  > I believe this site is more than an encyclopedia on distilling.
                  I also believe hobby distilling always involves a personal touch
                  from somethings almost forgotten or recipes an older person just
                  happened to remember when they learn a younger person is distilling.

                  > You are seen as a potential expert in the production of a spirit
                  from times long past that is still produced today. How was it
                  done? Who started it? How can I make it authentic?

                  > In other words, don't take it too seriously.
                  >
                  > (Bloody Volvo drivers)
                  >
                  > Best regards,
                  >
                  > Bwyze

                • miciofelice2003
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                    Ciao Dan.

                    I don't know if I'm in time to answer your question.

                    I'm going to become used to the anglosaxon humour: anyway give me
                    some more time.

                    As I already answered, you can dilute your spirit as you like.
                    Personally I prefer 40% and I'm used to drink it a little bit cold
                    (not freezed, only cold at 10-12 °C) in summer and at room
                    temperature in winter. I don't put any ice on the glass, and also
                    any soda, water, or something else.
                    Just grappa.

                    Oh, I forgot.

                    It's better to give about three or four days of "rest" between the
                    first and the second distillation. If you distilled carefully
                    (referring to head and tails) you have to dilute to 18-22 % two days
                    before the second run.

                    If you distilled the first run following the french method (what i
                    prefer) you don't need to dilute the first run.

                    If you can find a root of liquorice (wood) cut it in the middle and
                    put into the bottle for about one month: the taste is very good,
                    believe me.

                    Or you can put into your grappa a little bit (only a little bit
                    because too much is toxic) of "ruta graveolens". The taste is good
                    and help to digest and the colour is a beautiful green.

                    ciao a tutti
                    da

                    micio felice

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polenta222" <polenta222@...>

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Non problemo!
                      Artists make beatiful creations from junk (rubbish). Skilled
                      Distillers can make lovely drinks from what others discard, and as you
                      can see I did not ever say that rum or grappa was rubbish.
                      wal
                      PS Yes, I noticed that homedistilling in Italy is still very secretive
                      and seeing the price of official grappa I can see why. The best
                      grappa I actually tasted in Moneglia (Liguria) made from local white
                      grapes.