Re: sight glass

  • rocky_creek1
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6 7:54 AM
      Yes in the boiler. Thanks.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

      > Hi Rocky,
      > was that in the column, or the boiler?
      > I have one in the boiler:
      > There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
      > remember.
      > If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
      > bastardized it!
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >

      > --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe it
      > > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me what
      > > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the sight
      > > glass?
      > >

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • rocky_creek1
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6 8:03 AM
        Yes in the boiler. Thanks.

        Sorry if this is a double post.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rocky,
        > was that in the column, or the boiler?
        > I have one in the boiler:
        > There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
        > remember.
        > If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
        > bastardized it!
        > Cheers,
        > Rob.
        >

        > --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe it
        > > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me what
        > > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the sight
        > > glass?
        > >

        > Cheers,
        > Rob.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Robert Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6 9:00 AM
          Ok,
          it's a "tank/bulkhead" fitting one side (going into the boiler) with a
          90deg turn and a ca. 3/8 to 1/2 inch nipple on the other end. I slipped
          (very dangerous, keep bandages handy) borosilicate glass tube down the
          cheapo plastic pipe. The tube rests in/on the nipple, the plastic pipe
          goes over everything. I figure plastic contact is minimal.
          It was cheap/easy and it hasn't gone wrong in nearly 10 years of
          brewing/stilling.
          Boil the pastic tube to soften, and use lots of soap (though I guess
          the young turks (no degrading ideological slur intended) might try KY
          jelly).
          Hope that gives you a few pointers.
          Cheers
          Rob.

          --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:

          > Yes in the boiler. Thanks.
          >
          > Sorry if this is a double post.
          >

          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Rocky,
          > > was that in the column, or the boiler?
          > > I have one in the boiler:
          > > There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
          > > remember.
          > > If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
          > > bastardized it!
          > > Cheers,
          > > Rob.
          > >

          > > --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe
          > it
          > > > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me
          > what
          > > > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the
          > sight
          > > > glass?
          > > >

          > > Cheers,
          > > Rob.