Re: [Distillers] sight glass

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
      Hi Rocky,
      was that in the column, or the boiler?
      I have one in the boiler:
      There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
      remember.
      If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
      bastardized it!
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:

      > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe it
      > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me what
      > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the sight
      > glass?

      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • rocky_creek1
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
        Yes in the boiler. Thanks.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

        > Hi Rocky,
        > was that in the column, or the boiler?
        > I have one in the boiler:
        > There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
        > remember.
        > If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
        > bastardized it!
        > Cheers,
        > Rob.
        >

        > --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe it
        > > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me what
        > > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the sight
        > > glass?
        > >

        > Cheers,
        > Rob.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • rocky_creek1
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
          Yes in the boiler. Thanks.

          Sorry if this is a double post.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rocky,
          > was that in the column, or the boiler?
          > I have one in the boiler:
          > There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
          > remember.
          > If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
          > bastardized it!
          > Cheers,
          > Rob.
          >

          > --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe it
          > > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me what
          > > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the sight
          > > glass?
          > >

          > Cheers,
          > Rob.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Robert Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
            Ok,
            it's a "tank/bulkhead" fitting one side (going into the boiler) with a
            90deg turn and a ca. 3/8 to 1/2 inch nipple on the other end. I slipped
            (very dangerous, keep bandages handy) borosilicate glass tube down the
            cheapo plastic pipe. The tube rests in/on the nipple, the plastic pipe
            goes over everything. I figure plastic contact is minimal.
            It was cheap/easy and it hasn't gone wrong in nearly 10 years of
            brewing/stilling.
            Boil the pastic tube to soften, and use lots of soap (though I guess
            the young turks (no degrading ideological slur intended) might try KY
            jelly).
            Hope that gives you a few pointers.
            Cheers
            Rob.

            --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:

            > Yes in the boiler. Thanks.
            >
            > Sorry if this is a double post.
            >

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Rocky,
            > > was that in the column, or the boiler?
            > > I have one in the boiler:
            > > There were/are pics of one in the column somewhere, but I don't
            > > remember.
            > > If it's the boiler, let me know, and I'll explain how I hacked and
            > > bastardized it!
            > > Cheers,
            > > Rob.
            > >

            > > --- rocky_creek1 <rocky_creek@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Someone posted pictures of a still with a sight glass. I believe
            > it
            > > > was Harry, baybe wrong. Would anyone using a sight glass tell me
            > what
            > > > type of washer/gasket they are using and did it come with the
            > sight
            > > > glass?
            > > >

            > > Cheers,
            > > Rob.