Re. Condensing Shell

  • burrows206
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2006
      Hi Ty,
      I'd just make another coil and as you suggest make a double
      helix and drop it inside your existing coil. As for steam exiting
      your condenser turn down your heat source. The 3' length of your
      ¼ "coil seems kinda short I think (it should be at least 3 yards
      long). I used about 10 yards of 3/8" pipe (10mm) for a 12 turn
      coil, I had a spare roll of 3/8" that got press ganged into service
      for the job. This has roughly twice the cooling surface area for
      the same given length of ¼" pipe but it's just a lot harder to make
      a coil without kinking it.
      Have you a big enough of a reservoir of cooling water. As
      Bwyze says he has a big 80 litre cooling tank and a few frozen milk
      bottles for extra cooling if he needs it.
      Part of running a still is the problem solving, i.e. You do it
      all yourself. An example: - The difference between a car mechanic
      and a car fitter is: - a car fitter will rebuild a car engine, new
      piece by new piece until the problem goes away. Where as a car
      mechanic, will read the offending symptoms and with the backing of
      experience (apprenticeship) a full working knowledge of engine
      theory, and he will then make a decision as to which part is faulty
      and then refit the defective item, which means less money spent and
      less labour charged.
      The important thing in the example above is having the backing of
      experience and a full working knowledge of engine theory, i.e.
      knowing your still and why it does the things it does. With a
      thorough understanding of your still's working principles and
      problems that you solve you acquire experience

      Geoff