Potato Vodka

  • simonday@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2001
      I am looking to trial a potato vodka which could lead to commercial
      quantities, yet have no experience with this raw material!

      Any advice on the preparation, boiling, conversion of potato starch
      to fermentable sugars (including details of manufacturers of
      appropriate enzymes, and fermentation would be greatly appreciated.
      including suppliers of appropriate enzymes would be appreciated. For
      various reasons, I need to derive the vodka 100% from potatoes. Does
      anyone have experience with large scale production?

      Thanks in advance for your advice,
    • waljaco@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 15, 2001
        See also posting #2063 from Ted Palmer.

        Wal
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 27, 2012
          Another recipe site -

          http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj

          wal
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2012

            > Another recipe site -
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj
            >
            > wal

            Why does one recipe suggest leaving potatoes a bit underdone while the other one says boil them until they burst? What do we gain by leaving the potatoes a bit raw, wouldn't it be easier to just overcook them in the first place? Believe it or not, with todays potato prices in here it's cheaper and much easier to do sugar mashes.

            Slainte, Riku
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
              Oral tradition relies on subjective observation and rarely on analysis.
              See also -
              http://tinyurl.com/2ue7u

              wal

              > > Another recipe site -
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj
              > >
              > > wal
              > >

              > Why does one recipe suggest leaving potatoes a bit underdone while the other one says boil them until they burst? What do we gain by leaving the potatoes a bit raw, wouldn't it be easier to just overcook them in the first place? Believe it or not, with todays potato prices in here it's cheaper and much easier to do sugar mashes.
              >
              > Slainte, Riku

            • waljaco
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012

                > Also -
                > http://tinyurl.com/7cx8est
                >
                > A recipe from Finland -
                >
                > wal

                > > Oral tradition relies on subjective observation and rarely on analysis.
                > > See also -
                > > http://tinyurl.com/2ue7u
                > >
                > > wal
                > >
                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:

                > > > Why does one recipe suggest leaving potatoes a bit underdone while the other one says boil them until they burst? What do we gain by leaving the potatoes a bit raw, wouldn't it be easier to just overcook them in the first place? Believe it or not, with todays potato prices in here it's cheaper and much easier to do sugar mashes.
                > > >
                > > > Slainte, Riku

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
                  OK, I think leaving them a bit hard helps the stepped conversion process as it does not require that much stirring when the mash does not start as a sticky goo.

                  Slainte, Riku

                  > Oral tradition relies on subjective observation and rarely on analysis.
                  > See also -
                  > http://tinyurl.com/2ue7u
                  >
                  > wal
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:

                  > > > Another recipe site -
                  > > >
                  > > > http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj
                  > > >
                  > > > wal
                  > > >

                  > > Why does one recipe suggest leaving potatoes a bit underdone while the other one says boil them until they burst? What do we gain by leaving the potatoes a bit raw, wouldn't it be easier to just overcook them in the first place? Believe it or not, with todays potato prices in here it's cheaper and much easier to do sugar mashes.
                  > >
                  > > Slainte, Riku

                • notreally2112
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
                    It sounds like the potatoes are normally left in the mash for fermentation and distillation. Is this correct, and is there anything that needs to be done to avoid burning the solids while distilling? I'm planning to use a gas burner to power my still.

                    > Another recipe site -
                    >
                    > http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj
                    >
                    > wal

                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2012
                      You could pour the mash through a sieve when you fill the boiler. That should remove any large particles that would otherwise settle in the bottom and burn. Also leaving the yeast sludge out (the last liter or so) helps. For small floating particles the rolling action of the boiling is usually enough to keep them "mashborne". I haven't tried potato mash but this works well for flour mashes.

                      Slainte, Riku