Cooling Portion Question

  • Andrew Bugal
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      One wonders which one of these idiots will get the Darwin Award (posthumously) if they proceed. In case you are not aware of what I mean here, look up Darwin Awards on the net. These awards are given to those who remove their genes from the reproductive pool in a dramatic way. In other words, the awards are only given to those that kill themselves.

      What are we dealing with here? Temperatures in excess of 80 degrees C, under pressure and alcohol fumes as well. As one web site said "like boiling gasoline on your stove".

      It is really tempting disaster when one considers pressure, heat and forgetfulness to vent the system if they close off the condensor head just before they hear that loud bang (if they hear it and are not looking down at the still when it happens).

      Makes one understand why there is a newby site.

      Good luck,

      Bwyze

    • ruggershiner
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        Andrew,

        I appreciate your enthusiasm, that's what makes this site
        interesting.

        My comments were not well thought out, due to the fact that hobbyists
        are not as careful as those of us who do this for a living. Yes,
        I've actually worked for a large commercial distiller since 1980
        (maybe that makes me a newbie, but I doubt it) and I have yet to blow
        anyone up :>) Anyway, my comments were directed to Harry as an
        observation, because in theory, that is how we balance the columns at
        start up. But, there is a lot involved and I should not have made an
        off handed remark that someone could use to potentially hurt
        themselves. Sorry.

        I will send in some pictures and a brief description of the set-
        up/theory of my home operation when I get some time. It is quite
        interesting as it combines vapor management, reflux valve, offset
        head, parrot head, etc. into an "all in one" system. The problem is
        that it's not practical. It stands 14' (4.267m) high, is made from 2"
        & 3" (5.08 & 7.62cm) copper & brass, has three 2" valves (plus one
        needle valve), two coil condenser heads, one jacketed core condenser
        and is cooled with two 1/4 horse power re-circulating pumps (I hate
        to see water wasted down the drain) The cost was ridiculous, but at
        least I can write it off as "research". With my set up, I can combine
        any number of techniques to analyze time/taste/quality with different
        products. I have got to get a life!

        I try not to respond to inquiries and comments due to the fact that
        my responses would be long, technical and really boring (read
        chemical engineer and son of a chemical engineer) so I will return to
        the background and enjoy. No response required, I just wanted to
        ramble. Thanks for the laughs.

        Mark

        - In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

        > One wonders which one of these idiots will get the Darwin Award
        (posthumously) if they proceed. In case you are not aware of what I
        mean here, look up Darwin Awards on the net. These awards are given
        to those who remove their genes from the reproductive pool in a
        dramatic way. In other words, the awards are only given to those
        that kill themselves.

        > What are we dealing with here? Temperatures in excess of 80
        degrees C, under pressure and alcohol fumes as well. As one web
        site said "like boiling gasoline on your stove".

        > It is really tempting disaster when one considers pressure, heat
        and forgetfulness to vent the system if they close off the condensor
        head just before they hear that loud bang (if they hear it and are
        not looking down at the still when it happens).

        > Makes one understand why there is a newby site.
        >
        > Good luck,
        >
        > Bwyze
      • mel stull
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2006
          good one and with a sense of humor nice to read.
          mel

          http://mail.yahoo.com