Rye; Whisky recipe

  • switchy62
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      New member wanting to know if this recipe is the right ratio: 25 lbs.
      rye to 50 lbs. sugar to 2 and a half lbs. yeast to 50 gallon water.
      My buddy uses 50 lbs corn with 2 lbs yeast and 50 lbs. sugar. Recipe
      was giving to me by my dad. Is this the right ammount of rye?? Does
      it matter if i use soft water or hard water with the recipe?? Deeply
      apprieciated for any comments and referals back to about this.

      Thank you , Switchy62
    • Gregory Bloom
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
        One of the great things about this hobby is experimentation. So, like the Pirate's Code, any recipe you find "...is more what you would call guidelines than actual rules. Welcome to the distillers group, switchy."

        That said, a traditional Rye Whisky recipe would hoist it's nose at the thought of using sugar. But if you don't use malted rye or malted barley or some other source of saccharifying enzymes, all the starch from your rye will be wasted (so sugar would become a required ingredient, and your recipe would be for a rye-flavored sugar wash - which makes for a fine drop, mind you, just not 'traditional').

        As for hard versus soft water, I don't think it matters much. My rule is to only use ingredients that I would otherwise have no problem eating or drinking.

        switchy62 <cdswitch@...> wrote:

        New member wanting to know if this recipe is the right ratio: 25 lbs.
        rye to 50 lbs. sugar to 2 and a half lbs. yeast to 50 gallon water.
        My buddy uses 50 lbs corn with 2 lbs yeast and 50 lbs. sugar. Recipe
        was giving to me by my dad. Is this the right ammount of rye?? Does
        it matter if i use soft water or hard water with the recipe?? Deeply
        apprieciated for any comments and referals back to about this.

        Thank you , Switchy62

        Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture