Re: Column Head - Cooling Portion- Question

  • w_upnorth
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006

      > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..

      Well to start with I wouldnt try to push any yeast to its limit.
      I use " Highg Alcohol Distiller's Yeast " That if you beleave the label
      will go to 20%,and I am shure it will. With the perfect water, suger
      and Temp control. My water is hard, My suger is cheep and my temp
      comtrol sux. And yet I have found a way to push the yeast.
      What I do is buy 4 5lb bages of suger of witch I am to lazy to weigh
      out to 18lb, so I add it all to 24.4lt of hard water. No toping up to
      25lt here. It will make apx 29.8lt of wash @ 17.8% abv. Then I let it
      go till its done, depending on the season, 2 weeks to a month.
      Then there is the how fast you can run curve that most ppl go thru.
      Also the get every drop out of the mash sendrome.
      Most ppl learn that if you push the still to the limit they can get 95%
      and still have a foul taste,and or spend all weekend trying to get
      every drop of alcohol. I have learned that I like quality over speed or
      getting every last drop. By the way I toss the heavy heads and tales
      and keep the light ones.
      Hope this helps
      W_upnorth
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crackher_crackher"
        > <caschera@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey guys,
        > > I am currently building a still reflux based on the design
        present
        > in
        > > the website http://www.moonshine-still.com/ it is a very
        > informative
        > > website. My question is one that I cannot seem to find an answer
        > for
        > > else. On the top of the Cooling column (The part that contains
        > the
        > > copper condensing coil in this case the 3" copper shell contains
        > the
        > > tubing. is the top of this assmebly capped off. I would think
        > that if
        > > it is not capped then vapor will be permitted to rise into the
        > > atmosphere, thus I would be losing vauble resources. Can anyone
        > verify
        > > that this condensor shell is indeed left open to the stmosphere,
        > or
        > > closed off???
        > >
        > > Thanks all..
        > >

        > Yes it is open to atmosphere, for safety reasons. No chance of
        > pressurising and making a big 'bang'. If you have vapour coming
        out
        > the top, it means your condenser ain't working right to knock down
        > all the vapour. You need to...
        > a) increase the coolant flow, or...
        > b) get a bigger condenser, or...
        > c) reduce the amount of heat you're driving into the column, thus
        > slowing the vapour speed.
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        d) stuff a potscrubber inside the coil to reduce vaporspeed and
        increase cooling efficiency. IIRC the coil in those instructions has
        huge opening in the middle.

        - Riku
      • Robert Lemmen
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
          On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:59:34PM -0000, ruggershiner wrote:
          > He could close the top, leaving the takeoff valve open. This way he
          > could make the adjustments that you suggested (with feedback) until
          > balance could be achieved. This will work, my rig is was set up this
          > way.

          apart from the fact that the valve as the only opening is dangerous
          because it can be closed, i also think it has a too small cross section
          to really count. the resistance of a valve is pretty big, so you won't
          be able to push 1kw worth of alcoholic vapour through. plus you always
          risk some kind of oscillation (think pressure -> boiling point -> vapour
          output -> pressure). in my setup i have a cap on top of the condenser,
          but is has a really large hole in it (1 cm), and this works fine. no
          vapour escapes when the power is right, and i had multiple times when it
          would have been really bad if that hole hadn't been there (e.g. the
          coolant pipes coming off the still...)

          cu robert

          --
          Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
        • grayson_stewart66
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
            > > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
            > > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
            > > if it's capped.

            Definately have some outlet to the atmosphere. Not using a cap is a
            good practice. I use a cap to help hold my coil steady against the
            weight of the water input/output hoses but have placed a half inch
            diameter hole in the cap. If you're like me and just waste the water
            to the flower bed, that hole is also good for making sure you use just
            enough cooling water to get the job done. I tear off a piece of paper
            just larger than the hole...place the paper over the hole and adjust
            the cooling water till the paper just stops fluttering over the hole.
            Easy way to guage minimal cooling water needed.
          • Mark Nelson
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
              The valve I was talking about is 2" (from a VM system) not a needle valve.
              Sorry for not being clear. I won't comment unless I have time to be very
              specific and detailed.

              apart from the fact that the valve as the only opening is dangerous because
              it can be closed, i also think it has a too small cross section to really
              count. the resistance of a valve is pretty big, so you won't be able to push
              1kw worth of alcoholic vapour through. plus you always risk some kind of
              oscillation (think pressure -> boiling point -> vapour output -> pressure).
              in my setup i have a cap on top of the condenser, but is has a really large
              hole in it (1 cm), and this works fine. no vapour escapes when the power is
              right, and i had multiple times when it would have been really bad if that
              hole hadn't been there (e.g. the coolant pipes coming off the still...)

              cu robert

              --
              Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
            • donald holcombe
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                I been stuying this ... I like the wake you think now it makes sense or sents or scense....OOH it soundsOK.

                grayson_stewart66 <grayson_stewart66@...> wrote:
                > > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
                > > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
                > > if it's capped.

                Definately have some outlet to the atmosphere. Not using a cap is a
                good practice. I use a cap to help hold my coil steady against the
                weight of the water input/output hoses but have placed a half inch
                diameter hole in the cap. If you're like me and just waste the water
                to the flower bed, that hole is also good for making sure you use just
                enough cooling water to get the job done. I tear off a piece of paper
                just larger than the hole...place the paper over the hole and adjust
                the cooling water till the paper just stops fluttering over the hole.
                Easy way to guage minimal cooling water needed.

                Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture