Re: Column Head - Cooling Portion- Question

  • Lindsay Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006
      Hard to go wrong with the turbo and sugar. Just follow the
      instructions and you will find about 3 days will do it. I just thrash
      the water/sugar with a paddle to get some oxygen into it then pitch
      the turbo in at around 40C and thrash it some more! Seal it up and try
      to run it at around 25C. My first bubble comes out in 2 min!!

      Good luck and cheers,
      Lindsay.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crackher_crackher" <caschera@...>

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crackher_crackher"
      > > <caschera@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey guys,
      > > > I am currently building a still reflux based on the design
      > present
      > > in
      > > > the website http://www.moonshine-still.com/ it is a very
      > > informative
      > > > website. My question is one that I cannot seem to find an answer
      > > for
      > > > else. On the top of the Cooling column (The part that contains
      > > the
      > > > copper condensing coil in this case the 3" copper shell contains
      > > the
      > > > tubing. is the top of this assmebly capped off. I would think
      > > that if
      > > > it is not capped then vapor will be permitted to rise into the
      > > > atmosphere, thus I would be losing vauble resources. Can anyone
      > > verify
      > > > that this condensor shell is indeed left open to the stmosphere,
      > > or
      > > > closed off???
      > > >
      > > > Thanks all..
      > > >

      > > Yes it is open to atmosphere, for safety reasons. No chance of
      > > pressurising and making a big 'bang'. If you have vapour coming
      > out
      > > the top, it means your condenser ain't working right to knock down
      > > all the vapour. You need to...
      > > a) increase the coolant flow, or...
      > > b) get a bigger condenser, or...
      > > c) reduce the amount of heat you're driving into the column, thus
      > > slowing the vapour speed.
      > >

      > > Slainte!
      > > regards Harry
      > >

      > Perfect thanks a lot Harry!!
      >
      > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..
      > i am think about using turbo yeast 48 fermented to ~18% based on a
      > straight forward sucrose wash. I guess the only remaining variable
      > is that i am planning on using scrubbers as a column packing...the
      > supplier up here is out of Raschig Rings anyways.

    • w_upnorth
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006

        > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..

        Well to start with I wouldnt try to push any yeast to its limit.
        I use " Highg Alcohol Distiller's Yeast " That if you beleave the label
        will go to 20%,and I am shure it will. With the perfect water, suger
        and Temp control. My water is hard, My suger is cheep and my temp
        comtrol sux. And yet I have found a way to push the yeast.
        What I do is buy 4 5lb bages of suger of witch I am to lazy to weigh
        out to 18lb, so I add it all to 24.4lt of hard water. No toping up to
        25lt here. It will make apx 29.8lt of wash @ 17.8% abv. Then I let it
        go till its done, depending on the season, 2 weeks to a month.
        Then there is the how fast you can run curve that most ppl go thru.
        Also the get every drop out of the mash sendrome.
        Most ppl learn that if you push the still to the limit they can get 95%
        and still have a foul taste,and or spend all weekend trying to get
        every drop of alcohol. I have learned that I like quality over speed or
        getting every last drop. By the way I toss the heavy heads and tales
        and keep the light ones.
        Hope this helps
        W_upnorth
      • w_upnorth
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2006

          > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..

          Well to start with I wouldnt try to push any yeast to its limit.
          I use " Highg Alcohol Distiller's Yeast " That if you beleave the label
          will go to 20%,and I am shure it will. With the perfect water, suger
          and Temp control. My water is hard, My suger is cheep and my temp
          comtrol sux. And yet I have found a way to push the yeast.
          What I do is buy 4 5lb bages of suger of witch I am to lazy to weigh
          out to 18lb, so I add it all to 24.4lt of hard water. No toping up to
          25lt here. It will make apx 29.8lt of wash @ 17.8% abv. Then I let it
          go till its done, depending on the season, 2 weeks to a month.
          Then there is the how fast you can run curve that most ppl go thru.
          Also the get every drop out of the mash sendrome.
          Most ppl learn that if you push the still to the limit they can get 95%
          and still have a foul taste,and or spend all weekend trying to get
          every drop of alcohol. I have learned that I like quality over speed or
          getting every last drop. By the way I toss the heavy heads and tales
          and keep the light ones.
          Hope this helps
          W_upnorth
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006

            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crackher_crackher"
            > <caschera@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey guys,
            > > I am currently building a still reflux based on the design
            present
            > in
            > > the website http://www.moonshine-still.com/ it is a very
            > informative
            > > website. My question is one that I cannot seem to find an answer
            > for
            > > else. On the top of the Cooling column (The part that contains
            > the
            > > copper condensing coil in this case the 3" copper shell contains
            > the
            > > tubing. is the top of this assmebly capped off. I would think
            > that if
            > > it is not capped then vapor will be permitted to rise into the
            > > atmosphere, thus I would be losing vauble resources. Can anyone
            > verify
            > > that this condensor shell is indeed left open to the stmosphere,
            > or
            > > closed off???
            > >
            > > Thanks all..
            > >

            > Yes it is open to atmosphere, for safety reasons. No chance of
            > pressurising and making a big 'bang'. If you have vapour coming
            out
            > the top, it means your condenser ain't working right to knock down
            > all the vapour. You need to...
            > a) increase the coolant flow, or...
            > b) get a bigger condenser, or...
            > c) reduce the amount of heat you're driving into the column, thus
            > slowing the vapour speed.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            d) stuff a potscrubber inside the coil to reduce vaporspeed and
            increase cooling efficiency. IIRC the coil in those instructions has
            huge opening in the middle.

            - Riku
          • Robert Lemmen
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
              On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:59:34PM -0000, ruggershiner wrote:
              > He could close the top, leaving the takeoff valve open. This way he
              > could make the adjustments that you suggested (with feedback) until
              > balance could be achieved. This will work, my rig is was set up this
              > way.

              apart from the fact that the valve as the only opening is dangerous
              because it can be closed, i also think it has a too small cross section
              to really count. the resistance of a valve is pretty big, so you won't
              be able to push 1kw worth of alcoholic vapour through. plus you always
              risk some kind of oscillation (think pressure -> boiling point -> vapour
              output -> pressure). in my setup i have a cap on top of the condenser,
              but is has a really large hole in it (1 cm), and this works fine. no
              vapour escapes when the power is right, and i had multiple times when it
              would have been really bad if that hole hadn't been there (e.g. the
              coolant pipes coming off the still...)

              cu robert

              --
              Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
            • grayson_stewart66
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
                > > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
                > > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
                > > if it's capped.

                Definately have some outlet to the atmosphere. Not using a cap is a
                good practice. I use a cap to help hold my coil steady against the
                weight of the water input/output hoses but have placed a half inch
                diameter hole in the cap. If you're like me and just waste the water
                to the flower bed, that hole is also good for making sure you use just
                enough cooling water to get the job done. I tear off a piece of paper
                just larger than the hole...place the paper over the hole and adjust
                the cooling water till the paper just stops fluttering over the hole.
                Easy way to guage minimal cooling water needed.
              • Mark Nelson
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
                  The valve I was talking about is 2" (from a VM system) not a needle valve.
                  Sorry for not being clear. I won't comment unless I have time to be very
                  specific and detailed.

                  apart from the fact that the valve as the only opening is dangerous because
                  it can be closed, i also think it has a too small cross section to really
                  count. the resistance of a valve is pretty big, so you won't be able to push
                  1kw worth of alcoholic vapour through. plus you always risk some kind of
                  oscillation (think pressure -> boiling point -> vapour output -> pressure).
                  in my setup i have a cap on top of the condenser, but is has a really large
                  hole in it (1 cm), and this works fine. no vapour escapes when the power is
                  right, and i had multiple times when it would have been really bad if that
                  hole hadn't been there (e.g. the coolant pipes coming off the still...)

                  cu robert

                  --
                  Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
                • donald holcombe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                    I been stuying this ... I like the wake you think now it makes sense or sents or scense....OOH it soundsOK.

                    grayson_stewart66 <grayson_stewart66@...> wrote:
                    > > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
                    > > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
                    > > if it's capped.

                    Definately have some outlet to the atmosphere. Not using a cap is a
                    good practice. I use a cap to help hold my coil steady against the
                    weight of the water input/output hoses but have placed a half inch
                    diameter hole in the cap. If you're like me and just waste the water
                    to the flower bed, that hole is also good for making sure you use just
                    enough cooling water to get the job done. I tear off a piece of paper
                    just larger than the hole...place the paper over the hole and adjust
                    the cooling water till the paper just stops fluttering over the hole.
                    Easy way to guage minimal cooling water needed.

                    Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture