Re: Column Head - Cooling Portion- Question

  • crackher_crackher
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2 11:54 AM

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crackher_crackher"
      > <caschera@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey guys,
      > > I am currently building a still reflux based on the design
      present
      > in
      > > the website http://www.moonshine-still.com/ it is a very
      > informative
      > > website. My question is one that I cannot seem to find an answer
      > for
      > > else. On the top of the Cooling column (The part that contains
      > the
      > > copper condensing coil in this case the 3" copper shell contains
      > the
      > > tubing. is the top of this assmebly capped off. I would think
      > that if
      > > it is not capped then vapor will be permitted to rise into the
      > > atmosphere, thus I would be losing vauble resources. Can anyone
      > verify
      > > that this condensor shell is indeed left open to the stmosphere,
      > or
      > > closed off???
      > >
      > > Thanks all..
      > >

      > Yes it is open to atmosphere, for safety reasons. No chance of
      > pressurising and making a big 'bang'. If you have vapour coming
      out
      > the top, it means your condenser ain't working right to knock down
      > all the vapour. You need to...
      > a) increase the coolant flow, or...
      > b) get a bigger condenser, or...
      > c) reduce the amount of heat you're driving into the column, thus
      > slowing the vapour speed.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Perfect thanks a lot Harry!!

      are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..
      i am think about using turbo yeast 48 fermented to ~18% based on a
      straight forward sucrose wash. I guess the only remaining variable
      is that i am planning on using scrubbers as a column packing...the
      supplier up here is out of Raschig Rings anyways.
    • crackher_crackher
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2 12:30 PM
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ruggershiner" <mnelson@...> wrote:

        > > Yes it is open to atmosphere, for safety reasons. No chance of
        > > pressurising and making a big 'bang'. If you have vapour coming
        out
        > > the top, it means your condenser ain't working right to knock
        down
        > > all the vapour. You need to...
        > > a) increase the coolant flow, or...
        > > b) get a bigger condenser, or...
        > > c) reduce the amount of heat you're driving into the column, thus
        > > slowing the vapour speed.
        > >

        > > Slainte!
        > > regards Harry
        >
        > Harry,
        >
        > I agree with everything that you said, but...
        >
        > He could close the top, leaving the takeoff valve open. This way he
        > could make the adjustments that you suggested (with feedback) until
        > balance could be achieved. This will work, my rig is was set up
        this
        > way.
        >
        > But...Don't forget to open the valve!!!
        >
        > Mark

        Mark, when you say the 'takeoff' value do you mean a value placed on
        the top of the condensor or the condensate ? I you have a pic that
        would be great.
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2 1:56 PM
          <caschera@...> wrote:

          > Perfect thanks a lot Harry!!
          >
          > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..
          > i am think about using turbo yeast 48 fermented to ~18% based on a
          > straight forward sucrose wash. I guess the only remaining
          variable
          > is that i am planning on using scrubbers as a column packing...the
          > supplier up here is out of Raschig Rings anyways.

          Copper scrubbers will work a lot better than Rashig Rings. Just
          make sure they're 'true' copper, not just coated. Test 'em with a
          magnet. If it sticks, they're coated. Then cut 1 strand with a
          knife & look at the cross-section. Some real cheapies are coated or
          coloured plastic.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2 2:07 PM
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ruggershiner" <mnelson@...> wrote:

            > I agree with everything that you said, but...
            >
            > He could close the top, leaving the takeoff valve open. This way he
            > could make the adjustments that you suggested (with feedback) until
            > balance could be achieved. This will work, my rig is was set up this
            > way.
            >
            > But...Don't forget to open the valve!!!
            >
            > Mark

            The one thing I don't like about that type of design is there's only 1
            outlet to atmosphere, namely the take-off valve, and that is closable.
            If it is left closed during boilup for equilibration purposes, you
            have nowhere for the heated expanding air to be driven out. Thus an
            over-pressure situation is possible.

            Converse to that, when the run is finished, an unthinking person could
            close off the outlet. What happens when the still cools? Implosion.

            Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
            at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
            if it's capped.

          • Lindsay Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2 2:53 PM
              Hear, hear. Why tempt fate for no good reason?

              Cheers,
              Lindsay.

              > The one thing I don't like about that type of design is there's only 1
              > outlet to atmosphere, namely the take-off valve, and that is closable.
              > If it is left closed during boilup for equilibration purposes, you
              > have nowhere for the heated expanding air to be driven out. Thus an
              > over-pressure situation is possible.
              >
              > Converse to that, when the run is finished, an unthinking person could
              > close off the outlet. What happens when the still cools? Implosion.
              >
              > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
              > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
              > if it's capped.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • Lindsay Williams
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2 3:01 PM
                Hard to go wrong with the turbo and sugar. Just follow the
                instructions and you will find about 3 days will do it. I just thrash
                the water/sugar with a paddle to get some oxygen into it then pitch
                the turbo in at around 40C and thrash it some more! Seal it up and try
                to run it at around 25C. My first bubble comes out in 2 min!!

                Good luck and cheers,
                Lindsay.

              • w_upnorth
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2 4:02 PM

                  > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..

                  Well to start with I wouldnt try to push any yeast to its limit.
                  I use " Highg Alcohol Distiller's Yeast " That if you beleave the label
                  will go to 20%,and I am shure it will. With the perfect water, suger
                  and Temp control. My water is hard, My suger is cheep and my temp
                  comtrol sux. And yet I have found a way to push the yeast.
                  What I do is buy 4 5lb bages of suger of witch I am to lazy to weigh
                  out to 18lb, so I add it all to 24.4lt of hard water. No toping up to
                  25lt here. It will make apx 29.8lt of wash @ 17.8% abv. Then I let it
                  go till its done, depending on the season, 2 weeks to a month.
                  Then there is the how fast you can run curve that most ppl go thru.
                  Also the get every drop out of the mash sendrome.
                  Most ppl learn that if you push the still to the limit they can get 95%
                  and still have a foul taste,and or spend all weekend trying to get
                  every drop of alcohol. I have learned that I like quality over speed or
                  getting every last drop. By the way I toss the heavy heads and tales
                  and keep the light ones.
                  Hope this helps
                  W_upnorth
                • w_upnorth
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2 4:02 PM

                    > are there any other tricks that you would relay to a greenhorn..

                    Well to start with I wouldnt try to push any yeast to its limit.
                    I use " Highg Alcohol Distiller's Yeast " That if you beleave the label
                    will go to 20%,and I am shure it will. With the perfect water, suger
                    and Temp control. My water is hard, My suger is cheep and my temp
                    comtrol sux. And yet I have found a way to push the yeast.
                    What I do is buy 4 5lb bages of suger of witch I am to lazy to weigh
                    out to 18lb, so I add it all to 24.4lt of hard water. No toping up to
                    25lt here. It will make apx 29.8lt of wash @ 17.8% abv. Then I let it
                    go till its done, depending on the season, 2 weeks to a month.
                    Then there is the how fast you can run curve that most ppl go thru.
                    Also the get every drop out of the mash sendrome.
                    Most ppl learn that if you push the still to the limit they can get 95%
                    and still have a foul taste,and or spend all weekend trying to get
                    every drop of alcohol. I have learned that I like quality over speed or
                    getting every last drop. By the way I toss the heavy heads and tales
                    and keep the light ones.
                    Hope this helps
                    W_upnorth
                  • abbababbaccc
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3 12:22 AM

                      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "crackher_crackher"
                      > <caschera@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey guys,
                      > > I am currently building a still reflux based on the design
                      present
                      > in
                      > > the website http://www.moonshine-still.com/ it is a very
                      > informative
                      > > website. My question is one that I cannot seem to find an answer
                      > for
                      > > else. On the top of the Cooling column (The part that contains
                      > the
                      > > copper condensing coil in this case the 3" copper shell contains
                      > the
                      > > tubing. is the top of this assmebly capped off. I would think
                      > that if
                      > > it is not capped then vapor will be permitted to rise into the
                      > > atmosphere, thus I would be losing vauble resources. Can anyone
                      > verify
                      > > that this condensor shell is indeed left open to the stmosphere,
                      > or
                      > > closed off???
                      > >
                      > > Thanks all..
                      > >

                      > Yes it is open to atmosphere, for safety reasons. No chance of
                      > pressurising and making a big 'bang'. If you have vapour coming
                      out
                      > the top, it means your condenser ain't working right to knock down
                      > all the vapour. You need to...
                      > a) increase the coolant flow, or...
                      > b) get a bigger condenser, or...
                      > c) reduce the amount of heat you're driving into the column, thus
                      > slowing the vapour speed.
                      >

                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                      d) stuff a potscrubber inside the coil to reduce vaporspeed and
                      increase cooling efficiency. IIRC the coil in those instructions has
                      huge opening in the middle.

                      - Riku
                    • Robert Lemmen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3 12:43 AM
                        On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:59:34PM -0000, ruggershiner wrote:
                        > He could close the top, leaving the takeoff valve open. This way he
                        > could make the adjustments that you suggested (with feedback) until
                        > balance could be achieved. This will work, my rig is was set up this
                        > way.

                        apart from the fact that the valve as the only opening is dangerous
                        because it can be closed, i also think it has a too small cross section
                        to really count. the resistance of a valve is pretty big, so you won't
                        be able to push 1kw worth of alcoholic vapour through. plus you always
                        risk some kind of oscillation (think pressure -> boiling point -> vapour
                        output -> pressure). in my setup i have a cap on top of the condenser,
                        but is has a really large hole in it (1 cm), and this works fine. no
                        vapour escapes when the power is right, and i had multiple times when it
                        would have been really bad if that hole hadn't been there (e.g. the
                        coolant pipes coming off the still...)

                        cu robert

                        --
                        Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
                      • grayson_stewart66
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3 8:02 AM
                          > > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
                          > > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
                          > > if it's capped.

                          Definately have some outlet to the atmosphere. Not using a cap is a
                          good practice. I use a cap to help hold my coil steady against the
                          weight of the water input/output hoses but have placed a half inch
                          diameter hole in the cap. If you're like me and just waste the water
                          to the flower bed, that hole is also good for making sure you use just
                          enough cooling water to get the job done. I tear off a piece of paper
                          just larger than the hole...place the paper over the hole and adjust
                          the cooling water till the paper just stops fluttering over the hole.
                          Easy way to guage minimal cooling water needed.
                        • Mark Nelson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3 10:15 AM
                            The valve I was talking about is 2" (from a VM system) not a needle valve.
                            Sorry for not being clear. I won't comment unless I have time to be very
                            specific and detailed.

                            apart from the fact that the valve as the only opening is dangerous because
                            it can be closed, i also think it has a too small cross section to really
                            count. the resistance of a valve is pretty big, so you won't be able to push
                            1kw worth of alcoholic vapour through. plus you always risk some kind of
                            oscillation (think pressure -> boiling point -> vapour output -> pressure).
                            in my setup i have a cap on top of the condenser, but is has a really large
                            hole in it (1 cm), and this works fine. no vapour escapes when the power is
                            right, and i had multiple times when it would have been really bad if that
                            hole hadn't been there (e.g. the coolant pipes coming off the still...)

                            cu robert

                            --
                            Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
                          • donald holcombe
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 7 2:37 PM
                              I been stuying this ... I like the wake you think now it makes sense or sents or scense....OOH it soundsOK.

                              grayson_stewart66 <grayson_stewart66@...> wrote:
                              > > Either of these situations are easily avoided by a vent to atmosphere
                              > > at the column top, either leave it open, or at least put a hole in it
                              > > if it's capped.

                              Definately have some outlet to the atmosphere. Not using a cap is a
                              good practice. I use a cap to help hold my coil steady against the
                              weight of the water input/output hoses but have placed a half inch
                              diameter hole in the cap. If you're like me and just waste the water
                              to the flower bed, that hole is also good for making sure you use just
                              enough cooling water to get the job done. I tear off a piece of paper
                              just larger than the hole...place the paper over the hole and adjust
                              the cooling water till the paper just stops fluttering over the hole.
                              Easy way to guage minimal cooling water needed.

                              Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture