Methanol Inhalation poisoning

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      Howdy All,
      Just wondering, is it possible to get methanol poisoning through
      inhalation during the distillation process? Or maybe even making a
      mulled wine with a high methanol wine like pear wine? What sort of
      exposure would be nessesary?
      Cheers
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@y...>
        wrote:

        > Howdy All,
        > Just wondering, is it possible to get methanol poisoning through
        > inhalation during the distillation process? Or maybe even making a
        > mulled wine with a high methanol wine like pear wine? What sort of
        > exposure would be nessesary?
        > Cheers

        You'd have more chance of getting Carbon Monoxide poisoning by
        taking 3 quick breaths outside your front door. Of course you could
        always hold your breath all day, but that's not recommended either.
        Asphyxiation is bad for your health. So is DiHydrogen Monoxide.
        Better not use that stuff either. http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

      • detcord@houston.rr.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
          http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/methanol.htm

          > Just wondering, is it possible to get methanol poisoning through
          > inhalation during the distillation process? Or maybe even making a
          > mulled wine with a high methanol wine like pear wine? What sort of
          > exposure would be nessesary?
          > Cheers

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • DetCord
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
            Yeah that DiHydrogen Monoxide is almost as dangerous as Dioxide deprevation.

            Harry wrote:
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@y...>
            > wrote:

            > You'd have more chance of getting Carbon Monoxide poisoning by
            > taking 3 quick breaths outside your front door. Of course you could
            > always hold your breath all day, but that's not recommended either.
            > Asphyxiation is bad for your health. So is DiHydrogen Monoxide.
            > Better not use that stuff either. http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
          • Gregory Bloom

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                  All very well to jest, Detcord, but toxicology studies have shown that
                  Dioxide is so toxic that in concentrations of less than 2 ppm it can cause
                  cyanosis and death. NOT a risk to be taken lightly!

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                    I was thinking that O2 was also named Dioxide...looks like I stand
                    corrected.
                    I was being funny since Dihydrogen oxide is water, I assumed dioxide was
                    oxygen.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                      Ok, here goes.
                      http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/SU/sulfur_dioxide.html

                      SO2 is nasty shit. I worked in an oil refinery and had to wear one an
                      SO2 monitor at all times. SO2 is the stuff that will kill you and <2ppm
                      concentrations over a period of 8 hours are allowed for safe working
                      conditions to exist.

                      Did you confuse what I was calling Dioxide (O2, which may have been
                      incorrect anyway) with Sulfur Dioxide?

                      I stand corrected, but a Google of Dioxide did not produce a valid hit
                      on anything with such name.

                      detcord@... wrote:
                      > I was thinking that O2 was also named Dioxide...looks like I stand
                      > corrected.
                      > I was being funny since Dihydrogen oxide is water, I assumed dioxide was
                      > oxygen.

                    • J0n
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                        You don't per chance mean Dioxin(s) - or PCCD's do you?

                        Measured in parts per trillion ...

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
                          Just wondering how many people are dead as a result of assumptions?

                          DetCord <detcord@...> wrote: Ok, here goes.

                          detcord@... wrote:
                          > I was thinking that O2 was also named Dioxide...looks like I stand
                          > corrected.
                          > I was being funny since Dihydrogen oxide is water, I assumed dioxide was
                          > oxygen.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Robert Hubble
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                            Detcord,

                            Sorry I double-jived you. Yes, I WAS talking about O2, and if you breath O2
                            in concentrations of less than 2ppm, you WILL turn blue and die. The body
                            is much happier with contcentrations of 20% or so.

                            Sorry (sort of) to mess with you, but you fell for it.

                            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                            >From: detcord@...
                            >To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Methanol Inhalation poisoning
                            >Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:11:40 -0600
                            >

                            >I was thinking that O2 was also named Dioxide...looks like I stand
                            >corrected.
                            >I was being funny since Dihydrogen oxide is water, I assumed dioxide was
                            >oxygen.

                          • det01cord
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                              DOH!!!
                              you did get me, and good too.
                              You got me on a technicality with the 2ppm portion. I was familiar
                              with the >19% level being safe. When I read your message I read it as
                              saying that in concentrations as small as 2ppm ( read 2ppm and larger)
                              that Dioxide would be lethal. I didn't even consider it to be less
                              than 2ppm being dangerous. It appeared you were contradicting my
                              deprivation statement.

                              All in fun.

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Hubble" <zymurgybob@h...>