Re: to miciofelice and other italians

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
      Ciao!

      I'm just back from some days of holiday spent in Mexico.
      I learned that tequila can be "blanca" (young tequila), "reposada"
      (aged for a while) and "anejo" (more aged).
      Then I learned that (and I didn't know before)the "true" tequila has
      written "100% de agave", otherwise is, mostly, 51% tequila and 49%
      of sugar syrup . At least, I was told so.

      I learned also that the worm they put into the bottle of Metzcal is
      a "sign of warranty" of the pure origin of the Metzcal.

      Coming back to the post I'm answering, I'm not really sure but in my
      opinion isn't in Italy a spirit diluted with wine (or a wine
      strengthened up to 40%). My be, of course, but I don't know and, if
      existing, is only at level of curiosity.

      I know about the existence of strong wines (15 - 16 %),e.g. Amarone
      di Recioto that is produced in Garda lake zone, Brunello di
      Montalcino that is a very expensive wine produced in a region of
      Italy called Umbria, Barolo and Barbaresco (those ones are a little
      bit lower: 13.5 % typically) produced in the region called Piemonte,
      and some wines of the South of Italy, particularly some white wines
      called Zibibbo (produced in Sicily) and Passito di Pantelleria,
      produced in a small island placed on the far South of Italy, at the
      same level (geographically speaking) of Africa.

      I hope I was able to satisfy the question.

      Ciao

      micio felice

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Micio (not heard from you in a while)
      > and others knowledgable about Italian spirits.
      > Is there an italian drink which is wine strengthened up to 40%?
      > Or seen another way, spirit diluted with wine to 40%.
      > I'm trying to find whether Metaxa is a one-off type, or whether
      this
      > type of blending might be common among Nations who distil and make
      > wine. I'm thinking specifically that it may be a grappa/marc/raki
      > regional speciality.
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      > p.s. MicioF, can you email me, I've lost your address due to isp
      > change!
      >

      > Cheers,
      > Rob.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
        Hello Micio,

        There are people who are allergic to grains that drink 100% Agave and this
        beverage can also come from Africa but cannot be technically called Tequila.
        The official Tequila is only supposed to come from the town of Tequila. Our
        biofuels president was a university-based research scientist for cactus
        plants including Agave and Aloe. Because the plants were once affected by
        disease, there was a scramble to produce the famous beverage and health
        products based commercial cacti. As I understand the story, the African
        market emerges as a safe guard to keeping cactus-based distillation viable.
        When I go to purchase the cactus-based beverage for a certain person who
        cannot drink whisky due to the grain allergy, I only ask for 100% Agave and
        it makes no difference to me where that plant was grown.

        By the way, according to George, our biochemist, it is fairly simple to
        distill cactus and there can be a number of boutique concoctions made from
        different cacti for the adventurous distiller.

        Peggy

        Subject: [Distillers] Re: to miciofelice and other italians

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
          Thamks Peggy for what you said.
          I think is useful for us to know more about our common hobby.

          Ciao

          micio felice

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
            The generic name is mescal. Tequila is a mescal made from the blue
            agave and from a particular geographical area. Many varieties of agave
            can be used to make mescal. Cactus is not related to agave and is only
            used in cooking or as a stock food.
            wal