Re: So, how about a 1.5in column?

  • Cary Rhodes
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
      mcmaster.com

      will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

      they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

      cary r

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

      > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
      items.
      > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
      > stores by 10 foot section.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
      wrote:

      > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
      > need a
      > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
      > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
      conditioning
      > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
      that
      > this and
      > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
      industries
      > that use
      > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
      industries
      > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
      > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
      be
      > able to
      > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
      > plumbers
      > > nightmare.
      > >
      > > Good luck
      > > Dean.
      > >
      > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
      > call for
      > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
      hard
      > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
      down the
      > > > road from my house.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > > starch

    • ethanall
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
        Dean Thomas replied:

        > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
        need a
        > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.

        Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
        Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
        above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
        usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

        Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
        gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
        to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
        worth it.

        Is this all true?:
        1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
        maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
        because of vapor speed.
        2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
        run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
        cooling capacity.

        So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
        it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
        And what would be optimum packing height?

        Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
        columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
        with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
        coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
        of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
        necessary?

        Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.
      • stevolate
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
          > Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
          > Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
          > above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
          > usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

          Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
          > gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
          > to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
          > worth it.

          Depends how much of a hurry you are in.

          > Is this all true?:
          > 1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
          > maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
          > because of vapor speed.
          > 2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
          > run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
          > cooling capacity.

          True

          > So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
          > it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
          > And what would be optimum packing height?

          This depends on element size and the rate you wish to collect at.
          I had a 42 mill column 600 mill long which I collected 1 drip per
          second of 95%. I know use a 63 mill column 1200 mill long which I can
          collect 60 mill per minute of 95% which has no smell. I can collect
          faster but it starts to get a smell even yhough it remains 95%.
          Have been testing 50 mill column 500 mill long and can collect at fast
          drips just before a stream at 95%. This changes depending on mash %

          > Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
          > columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
          > with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
          > coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
          > of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
          > necessary?

          If you collect to fast you lose purity. This is the case with most
          tall columns that have low %. The smaller columns collect slowly and
          keep high %, there must be plenty of reflux.

          > Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.

          I use a triac to control a 3600-watt element, which gives me total
          control and a shotgun condenser; Harry's design modified which can
          handle full power if required.
          Hope this helps.

          Happy drinking
          Stevo
        • StumpHoleWater
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
            Hey Starch.

            I just went through this same situation. If you are in the States, go to a
            website called - www.plumbingsupply.com. I purchased both 2 inch and 3
            inch copper pipe and they have a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer which I could find
            nowhere. They are a little pricy, but you get exactly what you want. Hope
            this helps. Michael

            will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

            they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

            cary r

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

            > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
            items.
            > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
            > stores by 10 foot section.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
            wrote:

            > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
            > need a
            > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
            > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
            conditioning
            > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
            that
            > this and
            > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
            industries
            > that use
            > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
            industries
            > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
            > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
            be
            > able to
            > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
            > plumbers
            > > nightmare.
            > >
            > > Good luck
            > > Dean.
            > >
            > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
            > call for
            > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
            hard
            > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
            down the
            > > > road from my house.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > starch

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • wally13oo
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
              I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
              SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
              Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
              50 foot roll of soft cooper
              and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
              any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.

              tia
              Wally

              > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
              for
              > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
              hard
              > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
              the
              > road from my house.
              >
              > Thanks
              > starch

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                No probs with 1.5". Check homedistiller.org for what your throughput
                etc will be.
                p.s. don't tell any other newbees, but there is a sister group to this
                one: new_distillers, where beginners questions tend (I use that phrase
                lightly - no dig at you Wally, just those who are a little short on the
                group) to get answered better/quicker/more socially.
                Cheers,
                Rob.

                --- wally13oo <wally13oo@...> wrote:

                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                > I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                > SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                > Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                > 50 foot roll of soft cooper
                > and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                > any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.
                >
                > tia
                > Wally
                > >
                > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                >
                > for
                > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                > hard
                > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                > the
                > > road from my house.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > starch