Re: So, how about a 1.5in column?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
      That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find items.
      They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
      stores by 10 foot section.

      Dave

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

      > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
      need a
      > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
      > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-conditioning
      > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places that
      this and
      > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of industries
      that use
      > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these industries
      > they will all have off cut they can't use.
      > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to be
      able to
      > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
      plumbers
      > nightmare.
      >
      > Good luck
      > Dean.
      >
      > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
      call for
      > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a hard
      > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down the
      > > road from my house.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > starch

    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
        mcmaster.com

        will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

        they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

        cary r

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

        > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
        items.
        > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
        > stores by 10 foot section.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
        wrote:

        > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
        > need a
        > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
        > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
        conditioning
        > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
        that
        > this and
        > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
        industries
        > that use
        > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
        industries
        > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
        > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
        be
        > able to
        > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
        > plumbers
        > > nightmare.
        > >
        > > Good luck
        > > Dean.
        > >
        > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
        > call for
        > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
        hard
        > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
        down the
        > > > road from my house.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > > starch

      • ethanall
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
          Dean Thomas replied:

          > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
          need a
          > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.

          Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
          Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
          above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
          usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

          Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
          gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
          to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
          worth it.

          Is this all true?:
          1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
          maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
          because of vapor speed.
          2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
          run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
          cooling capacity.

          So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
          it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
          And what would be optimum packing height?

          Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
          columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
          with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
          coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
          of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
          necessary?

          Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.
        • stevolate
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
            > Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
            > Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
            > above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
            > usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

            Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
            > gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
            > to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
            > worth it.

            Depends how much of a hurry you are in.

            > Is this all true?:
            > 1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
            > maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
            > because of vapor speed.
            > 2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
            > run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
            > cooling capacity.

            True

            > So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
            > it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
            > And what would be optimum packing height?

            This depends on element size and the rate you wish to collect at.
            I had a 42 mill column 600 mill long which I collected 1 drip per
            second of 95%. I know use a 63 mill column 1200 mill long which I can
            collect 60 mill per minute of 95% which has no smell. I can collect
            faster but it starts to get a smell even yhough it remains 95%.
            Have been testing 50 mill column 500 mill long and can collect at fast
            drips just before a stream at 95%. This changes depending on mash %

            > Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
            > columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
            > with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
            > coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
            > of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
            > necessary?

            If you collect to fast you lose purity. This is the case with most
            tall columns that have low %. The smaller columns collect slowly and
            keep high %, there must be plenty of reflux.

            > Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.

            I use a triac to control a 3600-watt element, which gives me total
            control and a shotgun condenser; Harry's design modified which can
            handle full power if required.
            Hope this helps.

            Happy drinking
            Stevo
          • StumpHoleWater
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
              Hey Starch.

              I just went through this same situation. If you are in the States, go to a
              website called - www.plumbingsupply.com. I purchased both 2 inch and 3
              inch copper pipe and they have a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer which I could find
              nowhere. They are a little pricy, but you get exactly what you want. Hope
              this helps. Michael

              will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

              they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

              cary r

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

              > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
              items.
              > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
              > stores by 10 foot section.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
              wrote:

              > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
              > need a
              > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
              > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
              conditioning
              > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
              that
              > this and
              > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
              industries
              > that use
              > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
              industries
              > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
              > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
              be
              > able to
              > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
              > plumbers
              > > nightmare.
              > >
              > > Good luck
              > > Dean.
              > >
              > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
              > call for
              > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
              hard
              > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
              down the
              > > > road from my house.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > > starch

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • wally13oo
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                50 foot roll of soft cooper
                and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.

                tia
                Wally

                > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                for
                > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                hard
                > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                the
                > road from my house.
                >
                > Thanks
                > starch

              • Robert Thomas
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                  No probs with 1.5". Check homedistiller.org for what your throughput
                  etc will be.
                  p.s. don't tell any other newbees, but there is a sister group to this
                  one: new_distillers, where beginners questions tend (I use that phrase
                  lightly - no dig at you Wally, just those who are a little short on the
                  group) to get answered better/quicker/more socially.
                  Cheers,
                  Rob.

                  --- wally13oo <wally13oo@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                  > I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                  > SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                  > Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                  > 50 foot roll of soft cooper
                  > and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                  > any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.
                  >
                  > tia
                  > Wally
                  > >
                  > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                  >
                  > for
                  > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                  > hard
                  > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                  > the
                  > > road from my house.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > starch