Re: [Distillers] So, how about a 1.5in column?

  • greg tufts
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hey Starch
      Try this link
      http://homedistiller.org/static_menu.htm
      and check out Making a Still/Designs & Plans.
      I believe there are 1.5 inch columns (tall) in
      use, Since you beginning to research home distilling
      you could try
      Two inch copper is readily available from
      distributors who supply commercial plumbing
      contractors or commercial plumbing contractors,
      I told them I was repairing my irrigation on
      my hobby farm, they were very helpful.
      cheers
      greg
      --- starch <starch@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      I have just begun to research home distilling and most
      sources call for
      a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm
      having a hard
      time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch
      just down the
      road from my house.

      Thanks
      starch

      Distillers list archives :
      http://archive.nnytech.net/

      Management team
      Culture club
      Organizational culture
      Culture

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
        That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find items.
        They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
        stores by 10 foot section.

        Dave

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

        > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
        need a
        > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
        > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-conditioning
        > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places that
        this and
        > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of industries
        that use
        > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these industries
        > they will all have off cut they can't use.
        > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to be
        able to
        > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
        plumbers
        > nightmare.
        >
        > Good luck
        > Dean.
        >
        > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
        call for
        > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a hard
        > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down the
        > > road from my house.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > starch

      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
          mcmaster.com

          will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

          they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

          cary r

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

          > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
          items.
          > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
          > stores by 10 foot section.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
          wrote:

          > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
          > need a
          > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
          > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
          conditioning
          > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
          that
          > this and
          > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
          industries
          > that use
          > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
          industries
          > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
          > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
          be
          > able to
          > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
          > plumbers
          > > nightmare.
          > >
          > > Good luck
          > > Dean.
          > >
          > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
          > call for
          > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
          hard
          > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
          down the
          > > > road from my house.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks
          > > > starch

        • ethanall
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
            Dean Thomas replied:

            > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
            need a
            > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.

            Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
            Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
            above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
            usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

            Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
            gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
            to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
            worth it.

            Is this all true?:
            1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
            maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
            because of vapor speed.
            2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
            run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
            cooling capacity.

            So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
            it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
            And what would be optimum packing height?

            Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
            columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
            with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
            coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
            of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
            necessary?

            Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.
          • stevolate
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
              > Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
              > Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
              > above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
              > usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

              Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
              > gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
              > to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
              > worth it.

              Depends how much of a hurry you are in.

              > Is this all true?:
              > 1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
              > maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
              > because of vapor speed.
              > 2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
              > run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
              > cooling capacity.

              True

              > So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
              > it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
              > And what would be optimum packing height?

              This depends on element size and the rate you wish to collect at.
              I had a 42 mill column 600 mill long which I collected 1 drip per
              second of 95%. I know use a 63 mill column 1200 mill long which I can
              collect 60 mill per minute of 95% which has no smell. I can collect
              faster but it starts to get a smell even yhough it remains 95%.
              Have been testing 50 mill column 500 mill long and can collect at fast
              drips just before a stream at 95%. This changes depending on mash %

              > Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
              > columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
              > with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
              > coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
              > of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
              > necessary?

              If you collect to fast you lose purity. This is the case with most
              tall columns that have low %. The smaller columns collect slowly and
              keep high %, there must be plenty of reflux.

              > Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.

              I use a triac to control a 3600-watt element, which gives me total
              control and a shotgun condenser; Harry's design modified which can
              handle full power if required.
              Hope this helps.

              Happy drinking
              Stevo
            • StumpHoleWater
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                Hey Starch.

                I just went through this same situation. If you are in the States, go to a
                website called - www.plumbingsupply.com. I purchased both 2 inch and 3
                inch copper pipe and they have a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer which I could find
                nowhere. They are a little pricy, but you get exactly what you want. Hope
                this helps. Michael

                will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

                they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

                cary r

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

                > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
                items.
                > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
                > stores by 10 foot section.
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
                wrote:

                > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
                > need a
                > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
                > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
                conditioning
                > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
                that
                > this and
                > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
                industries
                > that use
                > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
                industries
                > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
                > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
                be
                > able to
                > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
                > plumbers
                > > nightmare.
                > >
                > > Good luck
                > > Dean.
                > >
                > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
                > call for
                > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                hard
                > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
                down the
                > > > road from my house.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                > > > starch

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • wally13oo
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                  I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                  SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                  Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                  50 foot roll of soft cooper
                  and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                  any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.

                  tia
                  Wally

                  > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                  for
                  > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                  hard
                  > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                  the
                  > road from my house.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > starch

                • Robert Thomas
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                    No probs with 1.5". Check homedistiller.org for what your throughput
                    etc will be.
                    p.s. don't tell any other newbees, but there is a sister group to this
                    one: new_distillers, where beginners questions tend (I use that phrase
                    lightly - no dig at you Wally, just those who are a little short on the
                    group) to get answered better/quicker/more socially.
                    Cheers,
                    Rob.

                    --- wally13oo <wally13oo@...> wrote:

                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                    > I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                    > SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                    > Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                    > 50 foot roll of soft cooper
                    > and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                    > any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.
                    >
                    > tia
                    > Wally
                    > >
                    > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                    >
                    > for
                    > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                    > hard
                    > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                    > the
                    > > road from my house.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > > starch