Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Distillers] Copper - An interesting observation

Expand Messages
  • Robert Thomas
    assuming full absorption, you would have to drink at least 3 litres at a time to gain ca 10microgramme/litre (body). i suspect liver toxicity would set in
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      assuming full absorption, you would have to drink at least 3 litres at
      a time to gain ca 10microgramme/litre (body). i suspect liver toxicity
      would set in before any bug killing.
      toxicity data for copper sulphate:
      http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/coppersu.htm

      Interestingly, you'd need to drink about 50,000 l to kill yourself by
      copper poisoning.

      A question for Miciofelice:
      when you grappa stillers get your product tested, what level is maximum
      allowed?

      Cheers,
      Rob.
      p.s. calculations are likely to be a factor of upto 2 off, due to
      assumptions:
      1kg of human = 1 litre of liquid, a human is 70kg (well, I am),
      and most drastically (and incorrectly I know, but i'm still recovering
      from NY Eve) copper sulphate weighs the same as copper.


      --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

      > I've come across some info that is food for thought.
      >
      > " Malt whisky contains quite a lot of copper for a liquid.
      > According to literature the average is 477 µg/l. This does not sound
      > like very much. You would need almost 7000 bottles of whisky to get
      > the equilvalent of one euro-cent worth of copper!
      >
      > Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic
      > for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The
      > poisonous effect starts at copper-concentrations of 10 µg/l. "
      >
      > Now this could explain a peculiar phenomenon in my household.
      > During the annual rounds of colds/flu/viral infections, all around
      > me the kids, wife, friends etc. are dropping like flies! I remain
      > virtually unscathed (except for a recent nasty bug from overseas).
      > Could this be due to my penchant for malt whisky? I'd certainly
      > like to think so. Any excuse for a wee dram. ;-)
      >
      > Now if I can just convince my liver not to explode, I should live
      > forever! I hope so, there's lots of Malts I haven't tried yet. :))
      >
      > Perhaps this fellow said it best...
      >
      > "If a person could just find out the exact proportion and quantity
      > that ought to be drunk every day and keep to that, I verily believe
      > that he might live forever, without dying at all, and that doctors
      > and churchyards would go out of fashion". - James Hogg (The Ettrick
      > Shepherd; 1820s).
      >
      >
      > Comments?
      >
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >


      Cheers,
      Rob.




      __________________________________
      Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year.
      http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.