Re: Calculating my stills purity

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Lang <porscheguy902@y...>
      wrote:

      > Harry,
      > I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction.
      What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills
      ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its
      efficiency .

      ...........No. Because you can never convert 100% of any wash, no
      matter how efficient your still appears to be. There is always
      losses.

      If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%
      abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my
      purity?? thats all i really want to know.

      ...........I honestly don't know what it is you're asking. Use
      your alcometer, add up the results, then you tell me how efficient
      your still is.

    • Jeremy Lang
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2006
        Harry,
        My still religiously makes 65-68% heads then dropped off to about 40% when i start to notice off smells. Does this mean that my stills efficiency is 65-68%?
        or do i take a average?
        cheers
        Jeremy

        Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Lang <porscheguy902@y...>
        wrote:

        > Harry,
        > I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction.
        What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills
        ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its
        efficiency .

        ...........No. Because you can never convert 100% of any wash, no
        matter how efficient your still appears to be. There is always
        losses.

        If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%
        abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my
        purity?? thats all i really want to know.

        ...........I honestly don't know what it is you're asking. Use
        your alcometer, add up the results, then you tell me how efficient
        your still is.

        Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture

        ---------------------------------

      • Andrew Bugal
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2006
          In other words mate, what is being said here is that once on the boil, purity is out of your hans unless you do something silly like open your boiler once the action is happening.

          In a reflux still, the separation of the good stuff occurs at around 78 degrees Celsius to upwards of around 80 to 81 degrees Celsius. The heat will hold until the good stuff has boiled away and you have collected it. Then, you are on your way to boiling water. If you have a reflux still and have packing in the column, you will get a higher abv if you allow the reflux to be in equilibrium (boil/condense/drip back/reboil).

          Physics rules here. Bad still design=bad output. In other words if you have a badlydesigned still then your output will not be great.

          Regards,bwyze

          Harry wrote: --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Lang

          wrote:

          > Harry,
          > I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction.
          What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills
          ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its
          efficiency .

          ...........No. Because you can never convert 100% of any wash, no
          matter how efficient your still appears to be. There is always
          losses.

          If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%
          abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my
          purity?? thats all i really want to know.

          ...........I honestly don't know what it is you're asking. Use
          your alcometer, add up the results, then you tell me how efficient
          your still is.

          Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture

          Yahoo! Groups Links