Re: [Distillers] Re: Calculating my stills purity

  • Jeremy Lang
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
      Harry,
      I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction. What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its efficiency . If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my purity?? thats all i really want to know.
      -cheers
      Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote: --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Lang <porscheguy902@y...>
      wrote:

      > hello Harry,
      > Thanks for you quick response. I am new to this forum and wasent
      sure what to expect. also, in the future do i need to repond in
      the postings, or will any email sent automaticly be posted for all
      to read?

      .........Emails and web postings will appear in the lists. There's
      not much point in having a list unless others can benefit from the
      questions & answers. I don't often reply to private emails, for
      that reason.

      > Upon reading your reply it dawned on me that you are correct, i
      hadnt realized i wasent collecting reflux, just adding a slight re-
      distilation to the whole thing. Good point. I was going to go with
      a larger colum when i was building it, but figured this would be
      ok because, i would get some benefit of reflux while keeping the
      flavour of my wash. not to mention i'm a bum on a budget, and two
      inch copper pipe here is about $40-$50 for a length.
      > Even so, is there a simpe equation to see what percent my
      current still collects at? By dividing something or multiplying
      something? so i will know what to expect when i am fermenting my
      wash?
      > cheers!

      ........No two stills or operating conditions are identical.
      Best advice I can give is...buy an alcometer. Available at homebrew
      suppliers or over the 'net.

      ---------------------------------

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        wrote:

        > Harry,
        > I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction.
        What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills
        ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its
        efficiency .

        ...........No. Because you can never convert 100% of any wash, no
        matter how efficient your still appears to be. There is always
        losses.

        If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%
        abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my
        purity?? thats all i really want to know.

        ...........I honestly don't know what it is you're asking. Use
        your alcometer, add up the results, then you tell me how efficient
        your still is.

      • Jeremy Lang
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2006
          Harry,
          My still religiously makes 65-68% heads then dropped off to about 40% when i start to notice off smells. Does this mean that my stills efficiency is 65-68%?
          or do i take a average?
          cheers
          Jeremy

          wrote:

          > Harry,
          > I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction.
          What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills
          ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its
          efficiency .

          ...........No. Because you can never convert 100% of any wash, no
          matter how efficient your still appears to be. There is always
          losses.

          If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%
          abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my
          purity?? thats all i really want to know.

          ...........I honestly don't know what it is you're asking. Use
          your alcometer, add up the results, then you tell me how efficient
          your still is.

          Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture

          ---------------------------------

        • Andrew Bugal
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2006
            In other words mate, what is being said here is that once on the boil, purity is out of your hans unless you do something silly like open your boiler once the action is happening.

            In a reflux still, the separation of the good stuff occurs at around 78 degrees Celsius to upwards of around 80 to 81 degrees Celsius. The heat will hold until the good stuff has boiled away and you have collected it. Then, you are on your way to boiling water. If you have a reflux still and have packing in the column, you will get a higher abv if you allow the reflux to be in equilibrium (boil/condense/drip back/reboil).

            Physics rules here. Bad still design=bad output. In other words if you have a badlydesigned still then your output will not be great.

            Regards,bwyze

            Harry wrote: --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Lang

            wrote:

            > Harry,
            > I have a alcometer and i take readings from every fraction.
            What i'm asking is, Is there a formula to calculate my stills
            ability to convert 100% of the washes alcohol content. its
            efficiency .

            ...........No. Because you can never convert 100% of any wash, no
            matter how efficient your still appears to be. There is always
            losses.

            If i start with a wash that is 10.5%abv and my still produces 68%
            abv heads does my still collect @ 68% purity? how do i calculate my
            purity?? thats all i really want to know.

            ...........I honestly don't know what it is you're asking. Use
            your alcometer, add up the results, then you tell me how efficient
            your still is.

            Management team Culture club Organizational culture Culture

            Yahoo! Groups Links