Re: [Distillers] 2 immicible liquids???

  • Peter Angus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi Nic, You asked:

      > Hi guys
      >
      > I am new to distilling and this is my first try. Is it normal to get 2
      diffrent immicible liquids
      > (two liquids that dont mix)??? There is one that is clear that is heavier
      and a white foggy
      > one on top. Also I got the clear stuff when I started distilling and there
      is only a few mls.
      > of it. Now it is lots of the foggy stuff comming out. Also if it is normal
      what are those two
      > liquids ethanol and methanol??? Also are there risks of makin methanol
      with a valved
      > reflux still??

      Sounds like you've got some essential oil. What's in your wash? Any citrus
      peal? The foggy liquid is probably an emulsion of oil and alcohol. If you
      let it sit for a few hours or even a couple of days it should separate
      completely and you could decant off the top.

      Peter
    • tintin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        the cloudy liquid may also be an emulsion from the grease/oil present on the metal used to build the still. should dissapeard next run.

        tintin_milou92

        Peter Angus <peterangus@...> a écrit :
        Hi Nic, You asked:

        > Hi guys
        >
        > I am new to distilling and this is my first try. Is it normal to get 2
        diffrent immicible liquids
        > (two liquids that dont mix)??? There is one that is clear that is heavier
        and a white foggy
        > one on top. Also I got the clear stuff when I started distilling and there
        is only a few mls.
        > of it. Now it is lots of the foggy stuff comming out. Also if it is normal
        what are those two
        > liquids ethanol and methanol??? Also are there risks of makin methanol
        with a valved
        > reflux still??

        Sounds like you've got some essential oil. What's in your wash? Any citrus
        peal? The foggy liquid is probably an emulsion of oil and alcohol. If you
        let it sit for a few hours or even a couple of days it should separate
        completely and you could decant off the top.

        Peter

        tintin_milou92