So, how about a 1.5in column?

  • starch
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
      I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call for
      a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a hard
      time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down the
      road from my house.

      Thanks
      starch
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
        You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will need a
        longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
        Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-conditioning
        companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places that this and
        larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of industries that use
        them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these industries
        they will all have off cut they can't use.
        I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to be able to
        think laterally when looking for possible components to build you plumbers
        nightmare.

        Good luck
        Dean.

        > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call for
        > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a hard
        > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down the
        > road from my house.
        >
        > Thanks
        > starch
      • greg tufts
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
          Hey Starch
          Try this link
          http://homedistiller.org/static_menu.htm
          and check out Making a Still/Designs & Plans.
          I believe there are 1.5 inch columns (tall) in
          use, Since you beginning to research home distilling
          you could try
          Two inch copper is readily available from
          distributors who supply commercial plumbing
          contractors or commercial plumbing contractors,
          I told them I was repairing my irrigation on
          my hobby farm, they were very helpful.
          cheers
          greg
          --- starch <starch@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          I have just begun to research home distilling and most
          sources call for
          a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm
          having a hard
          time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch
          just down the
          road from my house.

          Thanks
          starch

          Distillers list archives :
          http://archive.nnytech.net/

          Management team
          Culture club
          Organizational culture
          Culture

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
            That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find items.
            They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
            stores by 10 foot section.

            Dave

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...> wrote:

            > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
            need a
            > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
            > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-conditioning
            > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places that
            this and
            > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of industries
            that use
            > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these industries
            > they will all have off cut they can't use.
            > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to be
            able to
            > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
            plumbers
            > nightmare.
            >
            > Good luck
            > Dean.
            >
            > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
            call for
            > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a hard
            > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down the
            > > road from my house.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > starch

          • Cary Rhodes
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
              mcmaster.com

              will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

              they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

              cary r

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

              > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
              items.
              > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
              > stores by 10 foot section.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
              wrote:

              > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
              > need a
              > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
              > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
              conditioning
              > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
              that
              > this and
              > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
              industries
              > that use
              > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
              industries
              > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
              > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
              be
              > able to
              > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
              > plumbers
              > > nightmare.
              > >
              > > Good luck
              > > Dean.
              > >
              > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
              > call for
              > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
              hard
              > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
              down the
              > > > road from my house.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > > starch

            • ethanall
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                Dean Thomas replied:

                > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
                need a
                > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.

                Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
                Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
                above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
                usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

                Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
                gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
                to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
                worth it.

                Is this all true?:
                1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
                maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
                because of vapor speed.
                2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
                run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
                cooling capacity.

                So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
                it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
                And what would be optimum packing height?

                Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
                columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
                with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
                coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
                of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
                necessary?

                Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.
              • stevolate
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                  > Sorry to jump in here, but may I ask this (to all - not just
                  > Dean)...and it may be of help to the original question: Given the
                  > above, how much slower...and how much longer (in real, practical
                  > usage - say a 20 liter pot on a hotplate)?

                  Or put the opposite way, what, in real usage terms, is the benefit
                  > gained by using a 2" column (shorter as was said)? This is important
                  > to know so as to determine if the chase for 2" (true reward) will be
                  > worth it.

                  Depends how much of a hurry you are in.

                  > Is this all true?:
                  > 1. 1.5 inch column at say 24" must maintain slow take-off rate to
                  > maintain high reflux ratio (at given cooling capability and power)
                  > because of vapor speed.
                  > 2. 2" column at same height can enjoy faster take-off rate and can
                  > run at lower reflux ratio but requires more heat and resulting more
                  > cooling capacity.

                  True

                  > So if he finds a piece a 2", how long of a piece does he need...if
                  > it can be shorter? And how big does the coil need to be (inline)?
                  > And what would be optimum packing height?

                  This depends on element size and the rate you wish to collect at.
                  I had a 42 mill column 600 mill long which I collected 1 drip per
                  second of 95%. I know use a 63 mill column 1200 mill long which I can
                  collect 60 mill per minute of 95% which has no smell. I can collect
                  faster but it starts to get a smell even yhough it remains 95%.
                  Have been testing 50 mill column 500 mill long and can collect at fast
                  drips just before a stream at 95%. This changes depending on mash %

                  > Going to homedistiller.org is good advice, but there are pictures of
                  > columns there up to 5 feet tall (lots of packing!!)! Contrast that
                  > with shorter (high purity) columns as short as the PDA-1 at 12" +
                  > coil height! How's a beginner supposed to know how long of a piece
                  > of copper to buy in either diameter, and how much packing height is
                  > necessary?

                  If you collect to fast you lose purity. This is the case with most
                  tall columns that have low %. The smaller columns collect slowly and
                  keep high %, there must be plenty of reflux.

                  > Answers to these would be a great quick-start for 'starch'.

                  I use a triac to control a 3600-watt element, which gives me total
                  control and a shotgun condenser; Harry's design modified which can
                  handle full power if required.
                  Hope this helps.

                  Happy drinking
                  Stevo
                • StumpHoleWater
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Hey Starch.

                    I just went through this same situation. If you are in the States, go to a
                    website called - www.plumbingsupply.com. I purchased both 2 inch and 3
                    inch copper pipe and they have a 3 inch to 2 inch reducer which I could find
                    nowhere. They are a little pricy, but you get exactly what you want. Hope
                    this helps. Michael

                    will sell u a 5 foot section of any copper pipe product

                    they are a little on the pricy side, but heck u only need three feet.

                    cary r

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <diskmaster23@y...> wrote:

                    > That is pretty much the best way to acquire these hard to find
                    items.
                    > They are otherwise very expensive if you purchase them via plumbing
                    > stores by 10 foot section.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Thomas" <deanlil@p...>
                    wrote:

                    > > You can use a 1.5 inch column but to get the same results you will
                    > need a
                    > > longer column or you will have to run your still slower.
                    > > Try looking at scrap metal yards and even plumbers/Air-
                    conditioning
                    > > companies that work on larger buildings. There are many places
                    that
                    > this and
                    > > larger diameter pipes are available just try to think of
                    industries
                    > that use
                    > > them and go and find yourself a tradesman that works in these
                    industries
                    > > they will all have off cut they can't use.
                    > > I have found that in pursuing this hobby it is very beneficial to
                    be
                    > able to
                    > > think laterally when looking for possible components to build you
                    > plumbers
                    > > nightmare.
                    > >
                    > > Good luck
                    > > Dean.
                    > >
                    > > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources
                    > call for
                    > > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                    hard
                    > > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just
                    down the
                    > > > road from my house.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks
                    > > > starch

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • wally13oo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                      I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                      SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                      Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                      50 foot roll of soft cooper
                      and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                      any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.

                      tia
                      Wally

                      > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                      for
                      > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                      hard
                      > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                      the
                      > road from my house.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > starch

                    • Robert Thomas
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
                        No probs with 1.5". Check homedistiller.org for what your throughput
                        etc will be.
                        p.s. don't tell any other newbees, but there is a sister group to this
                        one: new_distillers, where beginners questions tend (I use that phrase
                        lightly - no dig at you Wally, just those who are a little short on the
                        group) to get answered better/quicker/more socially.
                        Cheers,
                        Rob.

                        --- wally13oo <wally13oo@...> wrote:

                        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, starch <starch@b...> wrote:
                        > I too am in research of my first still , materials at hand are:
                        > SS Milker pail ( one that looks like a curling rock)
                        > Two burner electric hot plate and propane BBQ
                        > 50 foot roll of soft cooper
                        > and 2 - twenty foot lengths of inch& one half SS milk pipe line.
                        > any advice on how long to make the column would be most helpfull.
                        >
                        > tia
                        > Wally
                        > >
                        > > I have just begun to research home distilling and most sources call
                        >
                        > for
                        > > a 2 inch column. Is it possible to use 1.5 inch? I'm having a
                        > hard
                        > > time finding 2 inch copper pipe but I can get 1.5 inch just down
                        > the
                        > > road from my house.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks
                        > > starch