Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [Distillers] Copper - An interesting observation

Expand Messages
  • Dennis Crawford
    Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The poisonous effect
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      <snip>
      Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic
      for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The
      poisonous effect starts at copper-concentrations of 10 µg/l. "

      Now this could explain a peculiar phenomenon in my household.
      During the annual rounds of colds/flu/viral infections, all around
      me the kids, wife, friends etc. are dropping like flies! I remain
      virtually unscathed (except for a recent nasty bug from overseas).
      Could this be due to my penchant for malt whisky? I'd certainly
      like to think so. Any excuse for a wee dram. ;-)

      Now if I can just convince my liver not to explode, I should live
      forever!
      <end snip>

      How fortunate that alcohol functions as a liver tonic!!!

      ;-)

      DC
    • Robert Thomas
      assuming full absorption, you would have to drink at least 3 litres at a time to gain ca 10microgramme/litre (body). i suspect liver toxicity would set in
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        assuming full absorption, you would have to drink at least 3 litres at
        a time to gain ca 10microgramme/litre (body). i suspect liver toxicity
        would set in before any bug killing.
        toxicity data for copper sulphate:
        http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/coppersu.htm

        Interestingly, you'd need to drink about 50,000 l to kill yourself by
        copper poisoning.

        A question for Miciofelice:
        when you grappa stillers get your product tested, what level is maximum
        allowed?

        Cheers,
        Rob.
        p.s. calculations are likely to be a factor of upto 2 off, due to
        assumptions:
        1kg of human = 1 litre of liquid, a human is 70kg (well, I am),
        and most drastically (and incorrectly I know, but i'm still recovering
        from NY Eve) copper sulphate weighs the same as copper.


        --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

        > I've come across some info that is food for thought.
        >
        > " Malt whisky contains quite a lot of copper for a liquid.
        > According to literature the average is 477 µg/l. This does not sound
        > like very much. You would need almost 7000 bottles of whisky to get
        > the equilvalent of one euro-cent worth of copper!
        >
        > Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic
        > for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The
        > poisonous effect starts at copper-concentrations of 10 µg/l. "
        >
        > Now this could explain a peculiar phenomenon in my household.
        > During the annual rounds of colds/flu/viral infections, all around
        > me the kids, wife, friends etc. are dropping like flies! I remain
        > virtually unscathed (except for a recent nasty bug from overseas).
        > Could this be due to my penchant for malt whisky? I'd certainly
        > like to think so. Any excuse for a wee dram. ;-)
        >
        > Now if I can just convince my liver not to explode, I should live
        > forever! I hope so, there's lots of Malts I haven't tried yet. :))
        >
        > Perhaps this fellow said it best...
        >
        > "If a person could just find out the exact proportion and quantity
        > that ought to be drunk every day and keep to that, I verily believe
        > that he might live forever, without dying at all, and that doctors
        > and churchyards would go out of fashion". - James Hogg (The Ettrick
        > Shepherd; 1820s).
        >
        >
        > Comments?
        >
        >
        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >


        Cheers,
        Rob.




        __________________________________
        Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year.
        http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.