Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Copper - An interesting observation

Expand Messages
  • Harry
    I ve come across some info that is food for thought. Malt whisky contains quite a lot of copper for a liquid. According to literature the average is 477
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      I've come across some info that is food for thought.

      " Malt whisky contains quite a lot of copper for a liquid.
      According to literature the average is 477 µg/l. This does not sound
      like very much. You would need almost 7000 bottles of whisky to get
      the equilvalent of one euro-cent worth of copper!

      Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic
      for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The
      poisonous effect starts at copper-concentrations of 10 µg/l. "

      Now this could explain a peculiar phenomenon in my household.
      During the annual rounds of colds/flu/viral infections, all around
      me the kids, wife, friends etc. are dropping like flies! I remain
      virtually unscathed (except for a recent nasty bug from overseas).
      Could this be due to my penchant for malt whisky? I'd certainly
      like to think so. Any excuse for a wee dram. ;-)

      Now if I can just convince my liver not to explode, I should live
      forever! I hope so, there's lots of Malts I haven't tried yet. :))

      Perhaps this fellow said it best...

      "If a person could just find out the exact proportion and quantity
      that ought to be drunk every day and keep to that, I verily believe
      that he might live forever, without dying at all, and that doctors
      and churchyards would go out of fashion". - James Hogg (The Ettrick
      Shepherd; 1820s).


      Comments?


      Slainte!
      regards Harry
    • Dennis Crawford
      Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The poisonous effect
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        <snip>
        Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic
        for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The
        poisonous effect starts at copper-concentrations of 10 µg/l. "

        Now this could explain a peculiar phenomenon in my household.
        During the annual rounds of colds/flu/viral infections, all around
        me the kids, wife, friends etc. are dropping like flies! I remain
        virtually unscathed (except for a recent nasty bug from overseas).
        Could this be due to my penchant for malt whisky? I'd certainly
        like to think so. Any excuse for a wee dram. ;-)

        Now if I can just convince my liver not to explode, I should live
        forever!
        <end snip>

        How fortunate that alcohol functions as a liver tonic!!!

        ;-)

        DC
      • Robert Thomas
        assuming full absorption, you would have to drink at least 3 litres at a time to gain ca 10microgramme/litre (body). i suspect liver toxicity would set in
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          assuming full absorption, you would have to drink at least 3 litres at
          a time to gain ca 10microgramme/litre (body). i suspect liver toxicity
          would set in before any bug killing.
          toxicity data for copper sulphate:
          http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/coppersu.htm

          Interestingly, you'd need to drink about 50,000 l to kill yourself by
          copper poisoning.

          A question for Miciofelice:
          when you grappa stillers get your product tested, what level is maximum
          allowed?

          Cheers,
          Rob.
          p.s. calculations are likely to be a factor of upto 2 off, due to
          assumptions:
          1kg of human = 1 litre of liquid, a human is 70kg (well, I am),
          and most drastically (and incorrectly I know, but i'm still recovering
          from NY Eve) copper sulphate weighs the same as copper.


          --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          > I've come across some info that is food for thought.
          >
          > " Malt whisky contains quite a lot of copper for a liquid.
          > According to literature the average is 477 µg/l. This does not sound
          > like very much. You would need almost 7000 bottles of whisky to get
          > the equilvalent of one euro-cent worth of copper!
          >
          > Copper is relatively harmless for humans, but it is extremely toxic
          > for micro-organisms. It kills Algae, fungi and bacteria. The
          > poisonous effect starts at copper-concentrations of 10 µg/l. "
          >
          > Now this could explain a peculiar phenomenon in my household.
          > During the annual rounds of colds/flu/viral infections, all around
          > me the kids, wife, friends etc. are dropping like flies! I remain
          > virtually unscathed (except for a recent nasty bug from overseas).
          > Could this be due to my penchant for malt whisky? I'd certainly
          > like to think so. Any excuse for a wee dram. ;-)
          >
          > Now if I can just convince my liver not to explode, I should live
          > forever! I hope so, there's lots of Malts I haven't tried yet. :))
          >
          > Perhaps this fellow said it best...
          >
          > "If a person could just find out the exact proportion and quantity
          > that ought to be drunk every day and keep to that, I verily believe
          > that he might live forever, without dying at all, and that doctors
          > and churchyards would go out of fashion". - James Hogg (The Ettrick
          > Shepherd; 1820s).
          >
          >
          > Comments?
          >
          >
          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >


          Cheers,
          Rob.




          __________________________________
          Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year.
          http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.