Re: [Distillers] Re: Anyone know where I can find the diagram for "2 cups still" by Alex?

  • DetCord
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
      I don't quite understand the smartassed retort when I was just agreeing
      with what you originally wrote???!!!
      I don't need an elementary physics refresher course.

      _{*L*}_ wrote:
      > I must reply to your post just to ruin your illusions, sorry, no pun intended...
      > Pardon my bluntness, but you are mixing "PRESSURE" and "FORCE."
      > "FORCE" is equal "PRESSURE" multiplied by the "AREA."
      >
      > For example some people know about "solar wind." To reiterate, it is PRESSURE of solar particles as they fly outward Sol and hit everything around Earth and throughout space - literally even you as you take a sunny beach break.
      >
      > Now, this PRESSURE will move huge space ships only on one conditions they will have even more huuuge sails as AREA. Total resultant of these components multiplied will be the FORCE. That is why ships with solar sails will need the sail to be the size of Australia.
      >
      > If you want to see the action of hydrostatic water pressure of five inches, why don't you make a cone out of waxed paper of about eight inches high and pour there some water. Now I can say too - hehehe...
      >
      > DetCord <detcord@...> wrote: 5" Water Column isn't much pressure at all on such a small vessel. You could build that much pressure with your mouth on a straw.
      >
      > Now 5" WC on a large piece of square duct does tend to make it round....hehe. Surface area is a biznatch.
      >
      > _{*L*}_ wrote:
      > > I must comment on "slanted plates" design because I could not hold back...
      > >
      > > The pressure build up will be equivalent to the sum of all overlapping plates where liquid is contained.
      > >
      > > Explanation --
      > >
      > > each "stage" will have a quarter inch pool of condensed alcohol between overlapping plates. If you have twenty "stages" or "plates" the hydrostatic pressure will be equal: 0.25"x20=5" of liquid pressure.
      > >
      > > This is three times less than a regular ten-gallon fish tank pressure acting on side glass. It is very insignificant and often misunderstood.
      > >
      > > I hope it solves the "pressure build-up" issue.
    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2006
        The dialog and examples were interesting. It's all right to agree and even
        expound.

        P.

        Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Anyone know where I can find the diagram for
        "2 cups still" by Alex?

        I don't need an elementary physics refresher course.

        > > I hope it solves the "pressure build-up" issue.

        Letting off a little pressure can be a good thing too.

        Have a safe and low-pressure New Year.