2 immicible liquids???

  • nicolasgoettel
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi guys

      I am new to distilling and this is my first try. Is it normal to get 2 diffrent immicible liquids
      (two liquids that dont mix)??? There is one that is clear that is heavier and a white foggy
      one on top. Also I got the clear stuff when I started distilling and there is only a few mls.
      of it. Now it is lots of the foggy stuff comming out. Also if it is normal what are those two
      liquids ethanol and methanol??? Also are there risks of makin methanol with a valved
      reflux still??

      Thanx in advance

      Nic
    • Peter Angus
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        Hi Nic, You asked:

        > Hi guys
        >
        > I am new to distilling and this is my first try. Is it normal to get 2
        diffrent immicible liquids
        > (two liquids that dont mix)??? There is one that is clear that is heavier
        and a white foggy
        > one on top. Also I got the clear stuff when I started distilling and there
        is only a few mls.
        > of it. Now it is lots of the foggy stuff comming out. Also if it is normal
        what are those two
        > liquids ethanol and methanol??? Also are there risks of makin methanol
        with a valved
        > reflux still??

        Sounds like you've got some essential oil. What's in your wash? Any citrus
        peal? The foggy liquid is probably an emulsion of oil and alcohol. If you
        let it sit for a few hours or even a couple of days it should separate
        completely and you could decant off the top.

        Peter
      • tintin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          the cloudy liquid may also be an emulsion from the grease/oil present on the metal used to build the still. should dissapeard next run.

          tintin_milou92

          Peter Angus <peterangus@...> a écrit :
          Hi Nic, You asked:

          > Hi guys
          >
          > I am new to distilling and this is my first try. Is it normal to get 2
          diffrent immicible liquids
          > (two liquids that dont mix)??? There is one that is clear that is heavier
          and a white foggy
          > one on top. Also I got the clear stuff when I started distilling and there
          is only a few mls.
          > of it. Now it is lots of the foggy stuff comming out. Also if it is normal
          what are those two
          > liquids ethanol and methanol??? Also are there risks of makin methanol
          with a valved
          > reflux still??

          Sounds like you've got some essential oil. What's in your wash? Any citrus
          peal? The foggy liquid is probably an emulsion of oil and alcohol. If you
          let it sit for a few hours or even a couple of days it should separate
          completely and you could decant off the top.

          Peter

          tintin_milou92