Sambuca Recipe Using Star Anise and not Anise Seed

  • italiandistiller
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
      In Italy the best Sambucas are made from star anise and not anise
      seed. I've been looking for a good recipe for Sambuca but find many
      posted recipes and prepared extracts use anise seed and not the star
      anise.

      Anise seed is a member of the parsley family and found abundantly in
      the Eastern Mediterranean. Greek ouzo for example is made with the
      anise seed. Star anise is the fruit of a small evergreen tree native
      pretty much soley to southwest China. The plant grows a small star-
      shaped fruit with 8 star points each having a seed inside. All parts
      of the fruit are used. It is more bitter than the anise seed and it
      is this Star anise that is used to compound the main ingredient in
      Tamiflu, the only antidote for bird flu. They extract the shikimic
      acid from the star anise as a base for Tamiflu, primarily done in
      Swizerland, by Roche I believe.

      Bird flu aside, can anyone offer a good recipe for making correct
      sambuca, either light or dark?

      Here's to our Health, Wealth & Happiness!

      Bob
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
        I swear I learn something new everyday.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "italiandistiller"

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 30, 2005
          <italiandistiller@y...> wrote:

          > In Italy the best Sambucas are made from star anise and not anise
          > seed. I've been looking for a good recipe for Sambuca but find
          many
          > posted recipes and prepared extracts use anise seed and not the
          star
          > anise.
          >
          > Anise seed is a member of the parsley family and found abundantly
          in
          > the Eastern Mediterranean. Greek ouzo for example is made with the
          > anise seed. Star anise is the fruit of a small evergreen tree
          native
          > pretty much soley to southwest China. The plant grows a small star-
          > shaped fruit with 8 star points each having a seed inside. All
          parts
          > of the fruit are used. It is more bitter than the anise seed and
          it
          > is this Star anise that is used to compound the main ingredient in
          > Tamiflu, the only antidote for bird flu. They extract the shikimic
          > acid from the star anise as a base for Tamiflu, primarily done in
          > Swizerland, by Roche I believe.
          >
          > Bird flu aside, can anyone offer a good recipe for making correct
          > sambuca, either light or dark?
          >
          > Here's to our Health, Wealth & Happiness!
          >
          > Bob

          Interesting info on the bird flu antidote. The Sambucca/star anise
          info will probably open a spirited (pun intended) debate. ;-)
          I note your netname is italiandistiller, and I would not presume
          to 'teach grandma to suck eggs', so to speak. However, most of the
          info I've seen says aniseed, Witch Elder and Licorice.
          I haven't seen Star Anise mentioned at all. See below...

          Sambuca is a liqueur produced by the infusion of Witch Elder bush
          and Licorice. The name 'Sambuca' originates from the scientific name
          for the elder tree, 'Sambuca Nigra', which grows abundantly
          throughout Italy. The oil from the elder tree is used in the
          production of Sambuca as also are the white elder blossoms which,
          after distillation, along with the anise seeds and various other
          ingredients, create Sambuca's unique flavor. It comes in two
          different forms: the traditional white and the less popular black.

          The liqueur's name, Sambuca, is derived from an Arab term, possibly
          zammut. The drink first which "landed" in the Port of Civitavecchia
          aboard ships having originated from the Asia.The Italianized name
          was given to a liqueur, also anise-based, born in Civitavecchia a
          long while before then, which hence had nothing to do with the
          sambuco plant. In fact, an anise-based liqueur named sambuca has
          been produced for over 130 years in this port city in the province
          of Rome.

          http://people.bath.ac.uk/mn2dmp/
          --------------------------------------

          Anise Liqueur - Zammù

          This liqueur, now quite famous as sambuca, was originally an Arab-
          Sicilian invention for medicinal and disinfectant purposes. The
          taste is similar to Pernod or Ouzo.

          1 Quart 100-proof vodka
          3/4 cup sugar
          1/4 cup aniseed
          Grated peel of 1 lemon

          Combine the vodka, sugar, aniseed, and lemon zest in a sterilized 2-
          quart juice jar or other bottle. Mix and let stand for 30 days,
          shaking it from time to time. Filter it and bottle it, and it is
          ready to use.

          When serving, mix the liqueur with lots of ice water and sugar.

          Makes 1 quart.

          Recipe by Wright

          http://dieli.net/SicilyPage/RecipesPage/recipes.html#al

          Around the Mediterranean from Lebanon in the east to Spain in the
          west practically all countries produce a version of anise flavoured
          distillates under a range of names: the Arabs call it arak, Turks
          raki, Greeks ouzo, Italians sambucca, French pastis and Spaniards
          anisado.

          Of all the Arabic, speaking countries Lebanon reputedly produces the
          best arak and the very best of them sells for more than Scotch
          whisky in that country.
          For Lebanese arak means a clear flavourful distillate to be diluted
          with sufficient water and consume alongside food.

          The Bekaa Valley south east of Beirut, considered the pearl of the
          Mediterranean before the almost 20 year of armed conflict ruined it,
          is well known for its arak, but the best of all comes from artisan
          distillers with very small operations or restaurant owners who also
          distil their own.

          In the valley, there is at least one restaurant owner who buys
          obeidah grapes (supposedly the mother grape of Chardonnay) presses
          them and ferments the juice naturally. After the fermentation, the
          weakly alcoholic liquid is left to settle and then filtered to
          remove the crudest suspended matter. Subsequently the liquid is
          distilled in copper stills produced by skilled Arab masters.

          During the first and subsequent runs the fore shots and faints are
          carefully separated, collected and redistilled to minimize methyl
          alcohol content.

          In fact, it is the separation of alcohol and water that Arab
          alchemists discovered and then refined it by redistillation of the
          aforementioned parts for purity.

          After the first distillation at 70 percent ABV, the distillate is
          diluted to 53 percent ABV and redistilled in the presence of
          unwashed, uncrushed anise from the village of Hinel on the Mount
          Hermon close to the Syrian border. Still the second run is
          separated, and redistilled twice more to obtain the ebst arak
          imaginable.

          http://www.foodreference.com/html/artaraketc.html

          Sambuca
          An Italian liqueur, flavored with anise, elderberrys, sugar and a
          secret combination of herbs and spices giving a licorice taste.
          Sambucas nigra the scientific name for the elderberry.

          Classic Brands:
          Molinari, Opal Nera, Di Trev, Romana, Galliano, Basilica

          http://www.licorice.org/LicoriceFinder/Sambuca/body_sambuca.htm

          The Bar: Molinari Sambuca

          Molinari was develolped in 1945 by the Molinari Family in
          Civitavecchia, Italy. Molinari Sambuca Extra is an imported Italian
          liqueur with a unique flavor derived from the precious anise seed.
          Molinari has a delicate smooth tasted and aroma that is enjoyable by
          itself or with coffee. 42% Alcohol (840 Proof).

          http://www.sicilianculture.com/bar/molinari.htm

          Adult guests enjoyed "zammu" with their coffee; "zammu" or anise
          liqueur is produced by combining 1 quart of vodka with 3/4 cup of
          sugar, 1/4 cup aniseed, and grated lemon peel. It's brewed and
          periodically shaken for a month, then filtered and bottled. "Zammu"
          brings to mind the Arab-Sicilian poet Ibn Zaffir who, a thousand
          years ago, wrote: "In Sicily, the trees have fire in their leaves
          and water in their roots."

          http://cyberitalian.com/html/gal_73.htm

        • italiandistiller
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
            >On Behalf Of Harry
            >
            >I note your netname is italiandistiller, and I would not presume
            >to 'teach grandma to suck eggs', so to speak. However, most of the
            >info I've seen says aniseed, Witch Elder and Licorice.
            >I haven't seen Star Anise mentioned at all. See below...

            Don't worry no eating of crow on my part :> ...Yes published recipes
            seem to rely on anise seed. But, I have seen how a top Italian
            family makes Sambuca, and the main ingredient is Star Anise sans any
            anise seed and that recipe was handed down manyfold.

            A web reference does acknowledge star anise is used interchangably
            with anise seed: http://www.foodsubs.com/LiqueurAnise.html

            "Anise-Flavored Liqueurs
            anise-flavored liqueurs = anise liqueurs = liqueurs d'anis
            Notes: This is a category of liqueurs that are flavored with
            either anise, star anise, or licorice."

            Bob
          • BestDecker
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
              Wow Harry...I didn't realize that there was that much info on Sambuca out there. Some really good recipes too...
              Itailiandistiller....try this as well ....www.guntheranderson/liqueurs/staranis.htm...
              You will note that the recipe is a Star Anise Liqueur, and not a Sambuca, but it might be what your looking for.

              ---------------------------------

              I'd read so much on the evil's of drinking....that I quit reading.......

            • rimfire_rifle
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                Bob,
                I make spicy rum with Star Anise and I am well happy to know that
                this protects me from Bird Flu. I spend a lot of time shooting
                geese, now I will really make a point of having more than the odd
                swig of rum from the hip flask when stuffing 52g of BB in the 12.
                Cheers for the medicinal advice!

                Bird flu aside, can anyone offer a good recipe for making correct
                > sambuca, either light or dark?

                Errrr no afraid not.... Rimfire (flueless)

                Happy New Year Distillers! Crazy Bunch! ;-)

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                  All the aniseed based distillates originated in the Mediterranean
                  Basin and used local aniseed. Star anise is used to save on costs as
                  you will note it is much cheaper. Fennel seed is also used in Greek
                  ouzo and French pastis to save money.
                  wal

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 31, 2005
                    Sambuca is derived from 'Sambuca di Sicilia' where the Saracens/Arabs
                    made aniseed based cordials. The elder bush in Italian is 'sambuco
                    nero' and although elderflowers can be used for flavouring, the close
                    similarity in names is coincidental.
                    wal

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2006

                      > All the aniseed based distillates originated in the Mediterranean
                      > Basin and used local aniseed.

                      All the European ones perhaps, but the Columbians in South America
                      have had one since the mid 1600's. Possibly one of the oldest White
                      Rums, Aguardiente is made from sugar cane molasses and aniseed.
                      http://home.earthlink.net/~cafe.tinto/aguardiente.htm

                      Perhaps the anise idea was added through contact with Spanish
                      colonists, it's not known for certain. But the natives of the area
                      certainly had distilled liquor before colonization. Archeologists
                      have unearthed crude bottles in digs from well before the time of the
                      Conquistadors. Much of South America's early history is still a
                      mystery.

                    • LISETTA FAROM
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 1, 2006
                        Hi to everybody and wishes of a good new year.
                        In this period, in Italy, you/they are publicizing her/it "sambuca
                        Averna" where you/he/she is done present that the product and' done
                        exclusively using the starry anise to 100%, Ciao a tutti.

                        http://www.google.it/search?
                        hl=it&q=ANICE+ANICE+STELLATO+SAMBUCA+AVERNA&btnG=Cerca&meta=lr%
                        3Dlang_it

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 1, 2006
                          Bolivian (& Columbian) anisado is Spanish influenced. Possibly the
                          base spirit is sugarcane based unlike the grape based Spanish original.
                          Although Central and South American indigenes had fermented alcoholic
                          beverages there is no proof that they distilled prior to European
                          colonisation.
                          Aguardiente is Spanish for the Latin 'aqua ardente' (burning water).
                          It is a generic term.