Re: [Distillers] filtering the spirit with coal ???

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2005
      Herbert it seems you may have gotten some Norit thas is ground finer than is necessary for your intended use. The fine powder could I beleive be mixed with the spirits and alloed to settle out. Then after a time the spirits could be siphonned off leaving the "MUD" in the bottom of the container.Norit makes many different sizes of Carbon. Maybe your could try a larger size in your filter. Good Luck and A Prosperous NEW YEAR to YOU and ALL.

      "herbert.stoker" <herbert.stoker@...> wrote: Hi, I hope you all had a wonderfull Xmas and lots of spare time to use
      your stills.
      I used my new still (pictures under "herbie's new still") and my first
      experiences are hopefull.
      Now i have ended up with a spirit of 88%, but still not quite neutral
      (smells like strong wine)
      So I have "invented" a filtering device...
      I took a pipe, 1 meter in length and 4 centimeters wide (app. 3,5 feet
      and 1.5 inches) Attached a big funnel at the top, filled the pipe
      completely up with 250 grams of active coal ("Norit"???) and sealed
      the end with a cheese-cloth
      (very fine woven cotton or so)
      I poored some water in first, to make the coal wet, and to try it of
      course...
      A disaster...
      The water didn't go to the end but only reached 1 third or so.
      The fine grained coal completely dissolved and went from grains into a
      muddy, sticky substance...
      So I tried something else;
      I put 100 grams of coal in 1 liter of spirit, waited one hour and
      poured the whole lot through a paper coffee filter...
      It took a while, but the spirit came out, cristal clear and far less
      smelly. (by the way, the coal dissolved in the spirit, just like it
      did in the water)
      The remains in the coffeefilter were just as muddy and sticky as
      before in the water.
      I cannot quite image how to use the coal a second time, when it is in
      this constitution... (as I read on the net)
      What am I doing wrong ???
      Who can help me on this?

      Thanks from Holland
      Herbie