Spiral Still Questions

  • jonnydigital2005
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 28, 2005
      I just have a few questions that I haven't found answered via search.

      - When constructing the spiral, how do most people keep it from
      kinking?

      - Are the sizes listed (10mm and 12mm) OD or ID?

      - Does the diameter of the spiral that you create have an effect on
      the cooling?

      - Should a fan be used on the spirals? If so, should it be used on
      both coils, or just the downward spiral?

      - Once built, w/ a 300w immersion heater, I read that it will take
      about 8 hours to boil, after that, how long should it take before I
      can start collecting the foreshots?

      - Can the 300w immersion heater be run without a dimmer to control
      the wattage?

      - Is a thermometer needed?

      - How long does a typical 25L 18% mash take from start to finish?

      Thanks!!!
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 28, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jonnydigital2005"
        <jdaniels@t...> wrote:

        > I just have a few questions that I haven't found answered via
        search.

        > - When constructing the spiral, how do most people keep it from
        > kinking?
        >
        > - Are the sizes listed (10mm and 12mm) OD or ID?
        >
        > - Does the diameter of the spiral that you create have an effect
        on
        > the cooling?
        >
        > - Should a fan be used on the spirals? If so, should it be used on
        > both coils, or just the downward spiral?
        >
        > - Once built, w/ a 300w immersion heater, I read that it will take
        > about 8 hours to boil, after that, how long should it take before
        > can start collecting the foreshots?
        >
        > - Can the 300w immersion heater be run without a dimmer to control
        > the wattage?
        >
        > - Is a thermometer needed?
        >
        > - How long does a typical 25L 18% mash take from start to finish?
        >
        > Thanks!!!

        The Spiral Still was developed by the members at Bryggforum. If you
        understand Swedish, then you'll probably find the answers searching
        there.

        Failing that, Riku is a member here and there, and I believe is one
        of the developers. He'll probably give you some input when he sees
        your msg.

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2005
          Answers within the message:

          wrote:

          > I just have a few questions that I haven't found answered via
          search.

          > - When constructing the spiral, how do most people keep it from
          > kinking?

          By making it large enough and by bending it around some round object.

          > - Are the sizes listed (10mm and 12mm) OD or ID?

          OD

          > - Does the diameter of the spiral that you create have an effect on
          > the cooling?

          Not really unless you make the diameter very small.

          > - Should a fan be used on the spirals? If so, should it be used on
          > both coils, or just the downward spiral?

          Not with 300W and normal room temperature. The spiral will quickly
          choke with more power.

          > - Once built, w/ a 300w immersion heater, I read that it will take
          > about 8 hours to boil, after that, how long should it take before I
          > can start collecting the foreshots?

          Most of the swedes just collect everything and carbon filter the
          stuff. If you are interested in making pure ethanol you should add a
          column to your system. In that case the equilibrium should last few
          hours. I used to left mine to equilibrate overnight.

          > - Can the 300w immersion heater be run without a dimmer to control
          > the wattage?

          Yes, you can control the effect by adding or removing insulation.
          Inaccurate method but it works.

          > - Is a thermometer needed?

          No.

          > - How long does a typical 25L 18% mash take from start to finish?

          It depends how fast you run it. I used usually ~48 hours but I was
          after excellent quality and timed the cuts to fit my sleep and work
          routine. Others use 24 hours or more.

          - Riku
        • jonnydigital2005
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2005
            Thank you,

            I thought the measurments were ID, so I ended up buying a roll of
            3/8" ID... it kinked badly when I attempted to wrap it around
            objects. I bought the spring sleeve type bending set and finished
            the coils. I wish I could have gotten them tighter together.

            I started it last night, and it was pretty much boiling this
            morning. I got nervous and shut it off while I was at work since no
            product had come out yet and I didnt know when it would start
            dripping and how fast. I'll have to go home on lunch to get it
            boiling again.

            I'll let you know how it turns out.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
            <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:

            > Answers within the message:
            >
            > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jonnydigital2005"
            <jdaniels@t...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I just have a few questions that I haven't found answered via
            > search.
            > >
            > > - When constructing the spiral, how do most people keep it from
            > > kinking?
            > >

            > By making it large enough and by bending it around some round
            object.

            > > - Are the sizes listed (10mm and 12mm) OD or ID?
            > >

            > OD
            >
            > > - Does the diameter of the spiral that you create have an effect
            on
            > > the cooling?
            > >

            > Not really unless you make the diameter very small.
            >
            > > - Should a fan be used on the spirals? If so, should it be used
            on
            > > both coils, or just the downward spiral?
            > >

            > Not with 300W and normal room temperature. The spiral will quickly
            > choke with more power.
            >
            > > - Once built, w/ a 300w immersion heater, I read that it will
            take
            > > about 8 hours to boil, after that, how long should it take
            before I
            > > can start collecting the foreshots?
            > >

            > Most of the swedes just collect everything and carbon filter the
            > stuff. If you are interested in making pure ethanol you should add
            > column to your system. In that case the equilibrium should last
            few
            > hours. I used to left mine to equilibrate overnight.
            >
            > > - Can the 300w immersion heater be run without a dimmer to
            control
            > > the wattage?
            > >

            > Yes, you can control the effect by adding or removing insulation.
            > Inaccurate method but it works.
            >
            > > - Is a thermometer needed?
            > >

            > No.
            >
            > > - How long does a typical 25L 18% mash take from start to finish?
            > >

            > It depends how fast you run it. I used usually ~48 hours but I was
            > after excellent quality and timed the cuts to fit my sleep and
            work
            > routine. Others use 24 hours or more.
            >
            > - Riku

          • jonnydigital2005
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2005
              Ok, I collected the first 200ml and tossed it after I tested it with
              my alcohometer, it came out to be about 90+%, I couldn't find my
              thermometer to test the temperature exactly so it's hard to be sure
              of what the real content was. It smells odd, like some sort of
              banana liquor... I didn't filter out the yeast very well (probably
              got most of it still in there, the mash was quite cloudy.) Oddly,
              earlier before it totally boiled, i opened the lid... and the
              exposed coppper piping inside the vessel had developed black stuff
              on it, as well as a couple flakes of it were floating in the mash.
              Is this harmful? I used the PP 30L vessel just like the ones in the
              picture from Sweden. The tubing to shield the heater is some sort of
              black rubber high pressure fuel tubing that I washed (I hope its not
              poison!) and the grommets going into the lid are made of white gum
              rubber.

              Does this sound OK? The distillate is clear... but strrrrrong
              smelling.

              Let me know :)

              <jdaniels@t...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > stuff. If you are interested in making pure ethanol you should
              add
              > > column to your system. In that case the equilibrium should last
              > few
              > > hours. I used to left mine to equilibrate overnight.
              > >
              > > > - Can the 300w immersion heater be run without a dimmer to
              > control
              > > > the wattage?
              > > >

              > > Yes, you can control the effect by adding or removing
              insulation.
              > > Inaccurate method but it works.
              > >
              > > > - Is a thermometer needed?
              > > >

              > > No.
              > >
              > > > - How long does a typical 25L 18% mash take from start to
              finish?

              > > It depends how fast you run it. I used usually ~48 hours but I
              was
              > > after excellent quality and timed the cuts to fit my sleep and

            • abbababbaccc
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
                Sounds about right. The banana smell is one of them lower boiling
                point alcohols (~40C or thereabouts) usually associated with bakers
                yeast. The copper pipe will oxidise but your case sounds a bit
                extreme, are you sure it wasn't in contact with mash. For hoses I'd
                strongly recommend getting some silicone hoses, they are not that
                expensive (few bucks a meter) and do tolerate hot alcohol on lower
                concentrations.

                - Riku

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > choke with more power.

                > > take
                > > before I
                > > > >

                > > > Most of the swedes just collect everything and carbon filter
                the
                > > > stuff. If you are interested in making pure ethanol you should
                > add
                > > > column to your system. In that case the equilibrium should last
                > > few
                > > > hours. I used to left mine to equilibrate overnight.

                > > control
                > > > >

                > > > Yes, you can control the effect by adding or removing
                > insulation.
                > > > Inaccurate method but it works.

                > > > No.

                > finish?
                > > > >

                > > > It depends how fast you run it. I used usually ~48 hours but I
                > was
                > > > after excellent quality and timed the cuts to fit my sleep and

              • Andrew Bugal
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
                  I am a basic sort of guy and not really an engineer or chemist. I built a valved reflux still from Internet plans and it works pretty well. I get 92 to 93 abv each time I run a wash.

                  I guess from your remarks about trying to coil a 3/8 inch tube was for your condensing coilo If that was the case, believe me - bigger is NOT better. An annealed 6 mm (1/4 inch) tube is okay. Being annealed, it bends easier - even more so that is is 6 mm.

                  Could not find your thermometer, had a banana smell, black bits floating in the mash? Opened the still during the distillation process, etc? What can I say?

                  Black bits are the sign of a dirty column or collumn packing if using a reflux still. Banana smells are normal during wash fermentation and stay with the wash during distillation. But NEVER open the system while distillation is underway. Otherwise, you will lose heat and have to start over. Remember, you only have that range of 78.5 to 82 degrees C to work with.

                  Bst regards

                  bwyze44

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > stuff. If you are interested in making pure ethanol you should
                  add
                  > > column to your system. In that case the equilibrium should last
                  > few
                  > > hours. I used to left mine to equilibrate overnight.
                  > >
                  > > > - Can the 300w immersion heater be run without a dimmer to
                  > control
                  > > > the wattage?
                  > > >

                  > > Yes, you can control the effect by adding or removing
                  insulation.
                  > > Inaccurate method but it works.
                  > >
                  > > > - Is a thermometer needed?
                  > > >

                  > > No.
                  > >
                  > > > - How long does a typical 25L 18% mash take from start to
                  finish?

                  > > It depends how fast you run it. I used usually ~48 hours but I
                  was
                  > > after excellent quality and timed the cuts to fit my sleep and

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
                    This is air-cooled system where the pipe acts as condenser and to a
                    lesser degree column. 6mm pipe in this application will choke almost
                    immediately (~100W or less power), sometimes bigger is better ;)

                    - Riku

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
                      I understand how that sounds, but this was early in the test (after
                      boiling for about 6 hours, then shutting it off (I was leaving for
                      work and I was still paranoid about the heater design so I unplugged
                      it) It sat all day with towels around it, and it held in the heat
                      very well. I opened up the bucket to see if the heater was sitting
                      correctly in the bucket and I saw the black. It is a spiral still,
                      so there isn't a column or column packing, it's a spiral 3/8" ID
                      tube that first spirals upward, then over and downward to the
                      product bucket.

                      As for my thermometer being missing, I had it out for testing the
                      other day and my wife must have moved it. I keep all of my stuff in
                      a cupboard, my alcohometer and hydrometer were safe and sound.

                      Riku already explained the banana smell as being one of the higher
                      alcohols that makes up the foreshots, so that's out of the picture.

                      I'm still curious about the black, it sounds like it isn't normal.
                      The copper is brand new, refrigeration grade, i hand washed the
                      outside and I flushed the inside with water.

                    • Andrew Bugal
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
                        Okay, I give up.

                        I made mistakes with my still and had to sort them out myself before I came across this site.

                        Just trying to help.

                        Jonny may find it easier to bend the tubing if he heats it with a gas torch. Of course annealed copper is easier to bend.

                        Regards,
                        Andy

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal wrote:

                        > I am a basic sort of guy and not really an engineer or chemist. I
                        built a valved reflux still from Internet plans and it works pretty
                        well. I get 92 to 93 abv each time I run a wash.

                        > I guess from your remarks about trying to coil a 3/8 inch tube was
                        for your condensing coilo If that was the case, believe me - bigger is
                        NOT better. An annealed 6 mm (1/4 inch) tube is okay. Being annealed,
                        it bends easier - even more so that is is 6 mm.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • DetCord
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 31, 2005
                          rolls of tubing is already "soft" unlike straight tubing which is
                          considered "hard pipe".
                          If you purchased your tubing in rolled form (50' rolls) it has already
                          been annealed and re-heating serves little purpose without asbestos
                          gloves on to work it at an elevated temp.

                          If you have mandrel type hand benders, I much prefer using "hard pipe"

                          Andrew Bugal wrote:
                          > Okay, I give up.
                          >
                          > I made mistakes with my still and had to sort them out myself before I came across this site.
                          >
                          > Just trying to help.
                          >
                          > Jonny may find it easier to bend the tubing if he heats it with a gas torch. Of course annealed copper is easier to bend.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Andy

                        • nameless
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                            I filled the pipe with table salt, then you can give any shape to it
                            without kinks,
                            and about bad smells and flavours, adding even a short 30cm(12inch)
                            column will give you pure stuff.
                            using bigger element with a simple manual voltage controling will
                            be good.
                            spiral still is not so good itself,if you want pure stuff you should
                            build spiral with column and heat controler (riku's design, there is
                            a pdf about it but i don't remember where to download)
                            for me spiral with column works greater than
                            my reflux still.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, DetCord <detcord@h...> wrote:

                            > rolls of tubing is already "soft" unlike straight tubing which is
                            > considered "hard pipe".
                            > If you purchased your tubing in rolled form (50' rolls) it has already
                            > been annealed and re-heating serves little purpose without asbestos
                            > gloves on to work it at an elevated temp.
                            >
                            > If you have mandrel type hand benders, I much prefer using "hard pipe"
                            >

                            > Andrew Bugal wrote:
                            > > Okay, I give up.
                            > >
                            > > I made mistakes with my still and had to sort them out myself
                            before I came across this site.

                            > > Just trying to help.
                            > >
                            > > Jonny may find it easier to bend the tubing if he heats it with
                            a gas torch. Of course annealed copper is easier to bend.

                            > > Regards,
                            > > Andy

                          • abbababbaccc
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 1, 2006
                              Available in here
                              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/Listings2.htm#Books%20Listings

                              I rather assumed the person asking the original question had allready
                              read the booklet.

                              - Riku