Re: [Distillers] Re: Blue Spirit

  • donald holcombe
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 28, 2005
      DONT YOU LOVE IT when a plan comes together ! FAX me some of that fine elixer.
      HAPPY NEW YEAR in advance.
      Alexander <amr_services@...> wrote: Hi..thanks for the help....I have had a couple of messages re this
      blueing problem.
      I decided to pull the filter tube apart and give it a thourough
      clean...I have cleaned the filtering tube very very well...polishing
      it very well too....I did notice that there was some "almost baked
      on stuff" around the welds....this didn't come off with my initial
      clean......however after using the S/S pot scrubbers on it for a
      couple of minutes...it all came off...and the copper and silver
      solder were shining clean. I rinsed it all thoroughly with vinegar
      (neat) and was still surprised just how much crap was coming off.
      I put it all back together..and the results were great....clean
      clear distillate.
      Once again...thanks for your help.

      Wishing you all a HaPpY NeW yEaR !!!!
      Alexander

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Alexander.
      > I'd go with Roderick as a first line of action.
      > If you still has copper in it, and it isn't blue when it comes out,
      > then it must be acid it the distillate reacting with copper
      > oxides/fluxed areas. Cleaning the copper filter with vinegar means
      the
      > acetic acid it the distillate has nothing left to dissolve
      (therefore
      > no more blue).
      > However, if you have no copper in your still, then there is always
      the
      > chance that you distillate is ammoniacal. (This should be
      smellable as
      > a stinging/harsh smell). In this case you need to acidify your
      wash.
      > (and preferably add copper in the still somewhere, as it removes
      > sulphur compounds)
      >
      > In either case, you need to redistil what blue stuff you have.
      > Cheers,
      > Rob.
      >

      > --- pure95percent <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > Did you clean the copper pipe well before you used it?
      Especially if

      <amr_services@y...>