mooonshine corn whiskey

  • d751689
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2005
      i am completely new at this .thinking of building my first still. if i
      go with the reflux column will i get any of the charactoristics of the
      shine my grandad made ? i know the good stuff was supposed to go down
      like water but corn whiskey still had a disinct flavor. will i loose
      all of that with this kind of still? if so without any flavoring what
      kind of drink does this compare to (everclear)? sorry may be a dumb
      question but i had to ask.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "d751689" <dshubert@a...> wrote:

        > i am completely new at this .thinking of building my first still. if
        > go with the reflux column will i get any of the charactoristics of
        the
        > shine my grandad made ? i know the good stuff was supposed to go
        down
        > like water but corn whiskey still had a disinct flavor. will i loose
        > all of that with this kind of still? if so without any flavoring
        what
        > kind of drink does this compare to (everclear)? sorry may be a dumb
        > question but i had to ask.

        Go here...
        http://homedistiller.org/static_menu.htm

        & here...

        Any questions (you'll have many, but at least you'll have background
        knowledge), go here...

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
          You can run most reflux stills a bit differently (ie. less reflux and
          wider cut) to get the flavor you desire. IMO Ian Smiley's corn whiskey
          book (http://www.amphora-
          society.com/Books/Corn_Whiskey/corn_whiskey.html) might be a worthy
          investment for you.

          - Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "d751689" <dshubert@a...> wrote:

          > i am completely new at this .thinking of building my first still. if
          > go with the reflux column will i get any of the charactoristics of
          the
          > shine my grandad made ? i know the good stuff was supposed to go down
          > like water but corn whiskey still had a disinct flavor. will i loose
          > all of that with this kind of still? if so without any flavoring what
          > kind of drink does this compare to (everclear)? sorry may be a dumb
          > question but i had to ask.

        • toddk63
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2005
            Some of my best batches (rum) have been highly refluxed with just a
            touch of the heads and tails added back to the main cut. The flavour
            then comes from the wood and carmelized sugar. The result is an
            exceptional product after only a few months of aging and doesn't taste
            at all like everclear. The more tails in the main cut require longer
            and more careful aging.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "d751689" <dshubert@a...> wrote:

            > i am completely new at this .thinking of building my first still. if i
            > go with the reflux column will i get any of the charactoristics of the
            > shine my grandad made ? i know the good stuff was supposed to go down
            > like water but corn whiskey still had a disinct flavor. will i loose
            > all of that with this kind of still? if so without any flavoring what
            > kind of drink does this compare to (everclear)? sorry may be a dumb
            > question but i had to ask.

          • sea_strider
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "d751689" <dshubert@a...> wrote:

              > i am completely new at this .thinking of building my first still.
              if
              > go with the reflux column will i get any of the charactoristics of
              the
              > shine my grandad made ? i know the good stuff was supposed to go
              down
              > like water but corn whiskey still had a disinct flavor. will i
              loose
              > all of that with this kind of still? if so without any flavoring
              what
              > kind of drink does this compare to (everclear)? sorry may be a dumb
              > question but i had to ask.

              Yes, Harry's posted links and the Smiley book will tell you all need
              to know. It's nice to have the option of having a still that can be
              run as both a potstill and a reflux still, but a reflux still can be
              easily de-tuned to prevent removal of so many of the congeners so
              that you end up with, basically, an "Everclear" spirit as opposed to
              a regular or thin-mash corn whiskey with some nice corn flavour left
              in the final product.

              Using less copper mesh or other packing as well as reducing water
              flow to the reflux part of the system (not the condenser) helps with
              de-tuning, as well as shortening column length. It's nice to have a
              multi-section column for this type of purpose.