Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Potstill with column

Expand Messages
  • abbababbaccc
    I tested the potstill with scrubber filled column as was discussed earlier. The results were pretty good. I was aiming for irish style triple distilled whiskey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      I tested the potstill with scrubber filled column as was discussed
      earlier. The results were pretty good. I was aiming for irish style
      triple distilled whiskey and that's what I got. I had some low wines
      for the test and 1 meter column filled with amphora mesh + parrots
      beak. Heads started at ~85% and were quite compressed, ~10% of total
      alcohol I'd say. Middle run was about 60% and the rest 30% was tails.
      The tails were pretty good quality and I haven't decided yet whether
      I'll mix some more of them to middle cut. The conclusion, it works and
      it gives you more usable alcohol by compressing the heads. The amount
      of tails is about normal but they are much lighter than usual.

      - Riku
    • Harry
      ... style ... wines ... total ... tails. ... whether ... and ... amount ... Thanks for the confirmation, Riku. Repeatable results is what it s all about.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 26, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
        <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:
        >
        > I tested the potstill with scrubber filled column as was discussed
        > earlier. The results were pretty good. I was aiming for irish
        style
        > triple distilled whiskey and that's what I got. I had some low
        wines
        > for the test and 1 meter column filled with amphora mesh + parrots
        > beak. Heads started at ~85% and were quite compressed, ~10% of
        total
        > alcohol I'd say. Middle run was about 60% and the rest 30% was
        tails.
        > The tails were pretty good quality and I haven't decided yet
        whether
        > I'll mix some more of them to middle cut. The conclusion, it works
        and
        > it gives you more usable alcohol by compressing the heads. The
        amount
        > of tails is about normal but they are much lighter than usual.
        >
        > - Riku
        >



        Thanks for the confirmation, Riku. Repeatable results is what it's
        all about. Hope you had a good Christmas.


        Slainte!
        regards Harry
      • sea_strider
        ... and ... Sounds great ... after several batches of all-grain whiskies (various grain bill percentages (corn/barley/wheat), I tried something similar with a
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@y...>
          wrote:
          >
          > I tested the potstill with scrubber filled column as was discussed
          > earlier. The results were pretty good. I was aiming for irish style
          > triple distilled whiskey and that's what I got. I had some low wines
          > for the test and 1 meter column filled with amphora mesh + parrots
          > beak. Heads started at ~85% and were quite compressed, ~10% of total
          > alcohol I'd say. Middle run was about 60% and the rest 30% was tails.
          > The tails were pretty good quality and I haven't decided yet whether
          > I'll mix some more of them to middle cut. The conclusion, it works
          and
          > it gives you more usable alcohol by compressing the heads. The amount
          > of tails is about normal but they are much lighter than usual.
          >
          > - Riku
          >

          Sounds great ... after several batches of all-grain whiskies (various
          grain bill percentages (corn/barley/wheat), I tried something similar
          with a corn whiskey "thin mash" recipe ... mostly sucrose, but enough
          corn for some flavour (perhaps slightly less than a 1/3 of
          fermentables).

          I used about half of the usual copper mesh in a similar length column
          and also put some sodium bicarbonate in the stripped wash prior to
          final distillation -- turned out very nicely! Very compressed heads and
          a distinct cut into both head/mid and mid/tails. I used a turbo yeast
          to maximize % alcohol and it turned out as quite a decent thin-mash
          corn whiskey. Using the "somewhere between a potstill and reflux still"
          method and with the baking soda added to a stripped wash is quite
          lovely ... put this thin-mash stuff in a jug with oak chips for several
          weeks and you'll have the "prince of poitins/moonshines."

          If the copper doesn't take out quite all the "smellies," running it
          through a NOT TOO GREAT AMOUNT of carbon takes the rest out without
          removing all the corn flavour.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.