Re: [Distillers] Re: Potassium permanganate (oxidation of methanol)

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 23, 2005
      PP, particularly alkaline PP will oxidise primary and secondary
      alcohols, but not as fast as aldehydes. What's happenning in the mix is
      aldehydes get oxidised to acids, then the alcohols (finally to acids).
      You lose the worst flavour spoilers first, then it's a free for all as
      to what goes next. But because ethanol is in huge excess, you lose all
      the higher alcohols before you lose your booze.
      Hope that helps,
      Cheers,
      Rob.

      http://www.nuaire.com/tech_papers/Potassium_Permanganate_Odoroxidant.pdf
      > > > also -
      > > > Alcohol Specifications (pot. permanganate used for testing)
      > > > http://www.distill.com/specs/US-4.htm
      > > >
      > > > wal
      > > >
      > > > Here is a Russian samogon protocol -
      > > > 1) Add 8-10g/l sodium carbonate (Na2CO3, washing soda). Allow to
      > stand
      > > > for 30 minutes
      > > > 2) Add 2g/l potassium permanganate dissolved in 50ml water. Allow
      > > > stand 30 minutes.
      > > > 3) Add sodium carbonate again. Allow to stand for 12 hours. A
      > sediment
      > > > will form.
      > > > 4) Decant/filter and redistill.

      > > > FAQ and other information at http://homedistiller.org

      > > > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
      > > culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture
      > > training Management team

      > > Service.

      Cheers,
      Rob.