New Distiller

  • michael
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
      Hello Everyone:

      I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks researching the
      still making process. I will be buying my parts over the next week or
      so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have two questions; 1-
      I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler. Any suggestions? 2-
      Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help, Michael
    • Kim
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
        Michael

        I use a half keg ... it takes a little more to cut the hole and set it
        up but it works great... check the pics and see how others have used
        the keg setup... I use propane but many use electric... You can easily
        put in 10 gallons of wash with room left over in case of foaming... I
        use an EL head with a valved reflux.. 4 ft column 2 inch stuffed with
        copper mesh... water cooled tube in shell crossflow condenser

        good luck

        Kim

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "michael" <m_c18765@y...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone:
        >
        > I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks researching the
        > still making process. I will be buying my parts over the next week or
        > so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have two questions; 1-
        > I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler. Any suggestions? 2-
        > Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help, Michael

      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
          I think the half - keg is bigger. I have a 5 gallon boiler and I usually have to split my 30 liter washes into two runs. Would be nice to do both in one run.

          I would opt for the keg.

          Roderick

          michael <m_c18765@...> wrote:
          Hello Everyone:

          I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks researching the
          still making process. I will be buying my parts over the next week or
          so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have two questions; 1-
          I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler. Any suggestions? 2-
          Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help, Michael

        • Andrew Bugal
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
            I used the beer keg (5o litres). They are easier to get and if you have to pay for one, cheaper than a milk keg.

            A word of warning. The contents of the beer keg are under pressure in that there is a LOT of compressed air in the keg. To slowly release it, drive a large nail into the rubber gasket at the top of the spear (top of the keg). Remove nail and wipe yourself down. Leave alone for half an hour or until you cannot hear any more air escaping.

            I built the valved reflux still from the internet site - "Building a world class distillation device(?). Is this what you are going to build? If so, drop me a line if you are having problems or want some advice. Been there - done that.

            Bwyze

            michael wrote:
            Hello Everyone:

            I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks researching the
            still making process. I will be buying my parts over the next week or
            so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have two questions; 1-
            I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler. Any suggestions? 2-
            Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help, Michael

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andrew Bugal

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
                Yes, I did get the design from the same site. Thank you Andrew and Kim. I will be using the 50ltr version myself. Im hoping to have it running by New Years. Any and all input is appriciated.

                Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote: I used the beer keg (5o litres). They are easier to get and if you have to pay for one, cheaper than a milk keg.

                michael wrote:
                Hello Everyone:

                I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks researching the
                still making process. I will be buying my parts over the next week or
                so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have two questions; 1-
                I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler. Any suggestions? 2-
                Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help, Michael

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Management team building Corporate culture Corporate culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture training Management team

              • abbababbaccc
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 19, 2005
                  Just a friendly word of advice. There are easier and cheaper models
                  with same or better functionality you can build. Check
                  homedistiller.org for bokakob's designs as an example. The good thing
                  about valved reflux design is that it's well documented.

                  - Riku

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, m jay <m_c18765@y...> wrote:

                  > Yes, I did get the design from the same site. Thank you Andrew and
                  Kim. I will be using the 50ltr version myself. Im hoping to have it
                  running by New Years. Any and all input is appriciated.

                  > Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@y...> wrote: I used the beer keg (5o
                  litres). They are easier to get and if you have to pay for one,
                  cheaper than a milk keg.

                  > A word of warning. The contents of the beer keg are under
                  pressure in that there is a LOT of compressed air in the keg. To
                  slowly release it, drive a large nail into the rubber gasket at the
                  top of the spear (top of the keg). Remove nail and wipe yourself
                  down. Leave alone for half an hour or until you cannot hear any more
                  air escaping.

                  > I built the valved reflux still from the internet site -
                  "Building a world class distillation device(?). Is this what you
                  are going to build? If so, drop me a line if you are having problems
                  or want some advice. Been there - done that.

                  > Bwyze
                  >
                  > Roderick Holmes <pure95percent@y...> wrote:
                  > I think the half - keg is bigger. I have a 5 gallon boiler and I
                  usually have to split my 30 liter washes into two runs. Would be nice
                  to do both in one run.

                  > I would opt for the keg.
                  >
                  > Roderick
                  >
                  > michael wrote:
                  > Hello Everyone:
                  >
                  > I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks researching the
                  > still making process. I will be buying my parts over the next week
                  or
                  > so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have two
                  questions; 1-
                  > I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler. Any
                  suggestions? 2-
                  > Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help, Michael

                  Service.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

                  > Management team building Corporate culture Corporate
                  culture change Business culture of china Corporate culture
                  training Management team

                  Service.

                • greg tufts
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                    I would release the pressure in the keg before
                    drilling or nailing anything into a keg. Apply
                    pressure
                    to the center of the spear, where the valve or line
                    goes. Use a large screw driver maybe.
                    Beer will blow all over you.
                    Do this outside to avoid pissing off the wife.
                    You will get sticky and stinky.
                    cheers
                    greg

                    ---------------------------------

                    michael wrote:
                    Hello Everyone:

                    I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks
                    researching the
                    still making process. I will be buying my parts over
                    the next week or
                    so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have
                    two questions; 1-
                    I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler.
                    Any suggestions? 2-
                    Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help,
                    Michael

                    Terms of Service.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

                    Distillers list archives :
                    http://archive.nnytech.net/

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Robert Thomas
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                      A bit of lateral thought required Greg. Hold a towel over the area when
                      you do it and you won't get covered! (G)
                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      Cheers,
                      Rob.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Andrew Bugal
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                        Man, that takes all the fun out of it. Seriously though, do not try and relieve the keg pressure with a screwdriver. Make a small hole (ie: nail) and let the pressure bleed out. Be warned - there is a LOT of pressure in those kegs.

                        I used a nail to make a hole and that was serious enough. A screwdriver at the top of the keg is going for all the pressure all at once. Temper your advice herein against those who have actually done it.

                        'nuff said.

                        Andrew

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                          What you really want is a keg adapter with a hose attached. no mess, no
                          fuss. However, most people don't have access to them. Mostly i've done
                          that, but I've also used a flat ended rod. A flat ended rod isn't sharp
                          enough to stab you if you lose your grip on it, and it won't slip into
                          the opening and jam it open. You can then just push firmly but
                          delicately to vent the pressure slowly. I don't really understand your
                          point about the hole/nail. are you suggesting drilling a hole?!!
                          That's beer spray + electric drill = bad news
                          rod/screwdriver works well two handed. One to push down, and one to
                          hold the towel down and the business end of the rod/driver in place.
                          Cheers,
                          Rob.

                          === message truncated ===

                          Cheers,
                          Rob.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • rocky_creek1
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                            I have done 6, the pressure is no big deal.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > Been there - done that.
                            > >
                            > > Bwyze
                            > >
                            > > Roderick Holmes
                            > wrote:
                            > > I think the half - keg is bigger. I have a 5 gallon
                            > > boiler and I usually have to split my 30 liter washes
                            > > into two runs. Would be nice to do both in one run.
                            > >
                            > > I would opt for the keg.
                            > >
                            > > Roderick
                            > >
                            > > michael wrote:
                            > > Hello Everyone:
                            > >
                            > > I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks
                            > > researching the
                            > > still making process. I will be buying my parts over
                            > > the next week or
                            > > so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have
                            > > two questions; 1-
                            > > I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler.
                            > > Any suggestions? 2-
                            > > Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help,

                          • Dave H.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                              Yo' Guys,

                              Laying the keg on it's side so the pick-up tube is not in the beer greatly
                              diminishes the "golden shower" effect.

                              Prosit, Dave H.

                              > A bit of lateral thought required Greg. Hold a towel over the area when
                              > you do it and you won't get covered! (G)
                              > Cheers,
                              > Rob.
                              >

                              > --- greg tufts <gregtufts@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I would release the pressure in the keg before
                              > > drilling or nailing anything into a keg. Apply
                              > > pressure
                              > > to the center of the spear, where the valve or line
                              > > goes. Use a large screw driver maybe.
                              > > Beer will blow all over you.
                              > > Do this outside to avoid pissing off the wife.
                              > > You will get sticky and stinky.
                              > > cheers
                              > > greg
                              > > --- Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              > > I used the beer keg (5o litres). They are easier to
                              > > get and if you have to pay for one, cheaper than a
                              > > milk keg.
                              > >
                              > > A word of warning. The contents of the beer keg are
                              > > under pressure in that there is a LOT of compressed
                              > > air in the keg. To slowly release it, drive a large
                              > > nail into the rubber gasket at the top of the spear
                              > > (top of the keg). Remove nail and wipe yourself down.
                              > > Leave alone for half an hour or until you cannot hear
                              > > any more air escaping.
                              > >
                              > > I built the valved reflux still from the internet
                              > > site - "Building a world class distillation device(?).
                              > > Is this what you are going to build? If so, drop me
                              > > a line if you are having problems or want some advice.
                              > > Been there - done that.
                              > >
                              > > Bwyze
                              > >
                              > > Roderick Holmes <pure95percent@...> wrote:
                              > > I think the half - keg is bigger. I have a 5 gallon
                              > > boiler and I usually have to split my 30 liter washes
                              > > into two runs. Would be nice to do both in one run.
                              > >
                              > > I would opt for the keg.
                              > >
                              > > Roderick
                              > >
                              > > michael wrote:
                              > > Hello Everyone:
                              > >
                              > > I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks
                              > > researching the
                              > > still making process. I will be buying my parts over
                              > > the next week or
                              > > so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have
                              > > two questions; 1-
                              > > I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler.
                              > > Any suggestions? 2-
                              > > Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help,
                              > > Michael

                              > > Terms of Service.

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              > > http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

                              > > Distillers list archives :
                              > > http://archive.nnytech.net/

                              > > Terms of Service.
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------

                              > > Find your next car at http://autos.yahoo.ca
                              > >

                              > Cheers,
                              > Rob.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • StumpHoleWater
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                                Any thoughts to putting a high pressure release valve on the upper portion
                                of the keg?

> [...]

                                > > Been there - done that.
                                > >
                                > > Bwyze
                                > >
                                > > Roderick Holmes
                                > wrote:
                                > > I think the half - keg is bigger. I have a 5 gallon
                                > > boiler and I usually have to split my 30 liter washes
                                > > into two runs. Would be nice to do both in one run.
                                > >
                                > > I would opt for the keg.
                                > >
                                > > Roderick
                                > >
                                > > michael wrote:
                                > > Hello Everyone:
                                > >
                                > > I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks
                                > > researching the
                                > > still making process. I will be buying my parts over
                                > > the next week or
                                > > so. I am considering a Valved Reflux version and have
                                > > two questions; 1-
                                > > I am torn between the half-keg and milk can boiler.
                                > > Any suggestions? 2-
                                > > Also, would aluminum work okay? Thanks for your help,

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Robert Thomas
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                                  true, but then you have the whole rolling about thing going on.
                                  Cheers,
                                  Rob.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Rob.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Brendan Keith
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                                    Straddle it. It's simple and you'll have it vented in 10 seconds.

                                    --
                                    Brendan Keith
                                    bkeith@...

                                    --- "Dave H." <dheimer@...> wrote:

                                    > Yo' Guys,
                                    >
                                    > Laying the keg on it's side so the pick-up tube is not in the beer
                                    > greatly
                                    > diminishes the "golden shower" effect.
                                    >
                                    > Prosit, Dave H.

                                  • extagboy
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 21, 2005
                                      Maybe you should drink the beer first. That might make it much
                                      easier.

                                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@s...>