carbon polishing

  • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
      Why is it recommended to dilute spirits down to 50-60% before polishing with
      activated carbon ? What does the higher strength alcohol do; block the
      active sites (if so, how)?

      Tony
      http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller
    • Rob van Leuven
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2000
        Tony,
        I am not an expert on this matter, but maybe it's related to the fact that
        fusels dissolve better in high grade alcohol and less so if the alcohol is
        lower in percentage.
        If the alcohol is diluted, and the fusels are less dissolved, they are then
        more easily 'captured' by the carbon; or is this total bullshit? Brian???
        Regards,
        Rob