RE: [Distillers] brown spirit

  • Pete Sayers
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2001
      Yes, you are probably right. If there has been any residual sugar left in
      the wash, then this will add a brown tinge to the spirit. Dont worry, as
      this will be removed in the carbon stage.Always use the wash hydrometer to
      check that the wash has worked right out.
      Pete

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2001
        9kg with a turbo extra will surely give you problems. I had the same problem while using "Super Brew" yeast only because I didn't read the distructions and added 8kg sugar instead of 7. What happens is the yeast will only use up the required amount of sugar, in my case 7kg, and stop working leaving a kilo of unsued sugar in your wash. You then go ahead and still off your wash only to find that you have a bad smell coming off the still and a tinge in the spirit. Another tell tale of this problem is in the spent wash, it will look like syrup in colour and smell like burnt sugar.
        Just goes to show it don't hurt to read the distructions every now and again.
        Pilch