Parrot's beak

  • joeatsalot
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
      I'd like to show off my wonderful new parrot's beak. I've put a photo
      in the joeatsalot folder in the photos section.

      My brewing partner had the idea of having it made by the glassblowers
      at the university. It only cost $30! (US$20) The skinny input tube is
      designed to fit a thermometer, and the output side holds the
      hydrometer. Of course, now it's made, a million improvements pop into
      mind, but it works well and wasn't expensive.

      Sorry if the photos are grainy, but we do our hackling in the night.
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
        That's really sweet! Just a couple of comments though:
        1. how are you going to keep it vertical (and so prevent the hydrometer
        touching the sides and rising artificially)
        2. how long till you break it (G)?
        Cheers,
        Rob.

        --- joeatsalot <joeatsalot@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to show off my wonderful new parrot's beak. I've put a photo
        > in the joeatsalot folder in the photos section.
        >
        > My brewing partner had the idea of having it made by the glassblowers
        > at the university. It only cost $30! (US$20) The skinny input tube is
        > designed to fit a thermometer, and the output side holds the
        > hydrometer. Of course, now it's made, a million improvements pop into
        > mind, but it works well and wasn't expensive.
        >
        > Sorry if the photos are grainy, but we do our hackling in the night.

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        __________________________________
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • joeatsalot
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2005
          Myerrs... well Mark II might have a few mods.

          We rubber band to it a funny wooden contraption, levelled with wedges
          till the hydrometer floats properly. And there is a huge list of
          vicious punishments waiting for the one who breaks it. Hopefully
          that'll keep it whole a wee bit longer. And we have a rule: no
          drinking from the parrot's beak.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@y...> wrote:

          > That's really sweet! Just a couple of comments though:
          > 1. how are you going to keep it vertical (and so prevent the hydrometer
          > touching the sides and rising artificially)
          > 2. how long till you break it (G)?
          > Cheers,
          > Rob.
        • headsmashedin
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 31, 2006
            Do you folks know where I can purchase a parrot's beak? Thank you
          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 31, 2006
              Make it. A bit of 3/4" copper, some 1/2" copper., a bit of 1/4"
              flexible copper, a flange, some solder and she's ready sing Yo YO Ho
              and a bottle of rum.
              On the other hand, if there's just a ton of guys out there who want
              them, then, I'll design and build some beauties for an astronomically
              exhorbitant cost.
              They really are simple. Why do I know this, because I made one. It
              took about 1/2 an hour.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2006
                Making one is all well an good if skilled in that area, I am not. I
                had to purchased my still an those in my complex my frown on
                torches, soldering and the like. Thanks just the same for your
                suggestion. I found a place called 'Brokenbranch' that sells them
                for $78.00, I have one on the way.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...>
                wrote:

                > Make it. A bit of 3/4" copper, some 1/2" copper., a bit of 1/4"
                > flexible copper, a flange, some solder and she's ready sing Yo YO
                Ho
                > and a bottle of rum.
                > On the other hand, if there's just a ton of guys out there who
                want
                > them, then, I'll design and build some beauties for an
                astronomically
                > exhorbitant cost.
                > They really are simple. Why do I know this, because I made one.
                It
                > took about 1/2 an hour.
                > At 05:53 PM 8/31/2006, you wrote:
                >
                > >Do you folks know where I can purchase a parrot's beak? Thank you
                > >

                > Derek

              • Larry
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
                  At 10:53 PM 09/02/2006, you wrote:
                  >had to purchased my still an those in my complex my frown on
                  >torches, soldering and the like.

                  Then I wonder how they're going to feel about your new Gas Grill with all
                  the tubing coming out of it and no burgers coming off the fire...

                  Looks like you're gonna be running wash in the kitchen. <grin>
                • Andrew Bugal
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
                    Good one man. Like that.

                    Bwyze

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
                      Would you be kind enoungh to share the web site for
                      Brokenbranch?

                      thanks,

                      Link

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni <link2d@...> wrote:

                        > Would you be kind enoungh to share the web site for
                        > Brokenbranch?
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        >
                        > Link

                        It's our old sparring partner, Stilldrinkin.com. The turbostomper
                        crew. Remember the pics of potstills & some curvy chick? Same mob
                        as were trying to rip Tony's entire site (homedistiller.org) and
                        flog it (they stopped that when Tony got pissed at 'em). Same mob
                        as threatened to sue Suitcase over freely available and NON-patented
                        still design (Suit told 'em to go take a hike after consulting
                        here). It's all in the archives.

                        I believe their forums are a haven for disgruntled ex-
                        yahoo.distillers. ;-)

                      • Link D'Antoni
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 3, 2006
                          10-4 on that Harry.
                          I definately don't want to offend Tony. Most of my
                          refinement in regard to this hobby is owed to Tony...
                          and the occasional mishap in the wine room. I've
                          learn a lot from those mishaps but that's another
                          chapter in the book.
                          I guess I'll get around to making my own parrots
                          beak. Getting one from Hoga is not reasonable usless
                          purchasing some other higher ticket item as the cost
                          of wire transfer(checque), etc.

                          Thanks for the heads up.

                          Link

                          --- Harry <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Link D'Antoni
                          > <link2d@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Would you be kind enoungh to share the web site
                          > for
                          > > Brokenbranch?
                          > >
                          > > thanks,
                          > >
                          > > Link
                          >

                          > It's our old sparring partner, Stilldrinkin.com.
                          > The turbostomper
                          > crew. Remember the pics of potstills & some curvy
                          > chick? Same mob
                          > as were trying to rip Tony's entire site
                          > (homedistiller.org) and
                          > flog it (they stopped that when Tony got pissed at
                          > 'em). Same mob
                          > as threatened to sue Suitcase over freely available
                          > and NON-patented
                          > still design (Suit told 'em to go take a hike after
                          > consulting
                          > here). It's all in the archives.
                          >
                          > I believe their forums are a haven for disgruntled
                          > ex-
                          > yahoo.distillers. ;-)
                          >

                          > Slainte!
                          > regards Harry

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Pete H
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 6, 2010
                            Just viewed a few of the pics of parrot's beaks created by members of this forum. Wonderous, mysterious works of art some of them.

                            Started me thinking they might be a good idea. Even started drawing mods that I thought might suit my methods. Mods like running condenser output through a coil captured inside a water jacket (which cools the condenser) to ensure product temp is going to give correct readings.

                            Also thought about the problem of getting the drip rate right if you don't see the output until the parrot's beak is overflowing as with some designs which are direct connected to the condenser output.

                            Then thinking it through further, given the radical temp escalation I have noticed once the purest ethanol (78C - 82C) has left the column at around 95%, do I really care about losing maybe 100 - 200ml of hard to win, and probably not cost effective tails that may still be left in the boiler?

                            I'm talking about the tail end of the tails, not the tail run itself which generally yields around .5 ltr of re-boilable output.

                            By the tails of the tails stage, smell and taste of the product has me deciding its time to switch of the power.

                            Any thoughts?