Re: [Distillers] Re: Filtering mush

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2005
      Donald,

      Funny how you bring up "lazy". I've been working like crazy on the
      Christmas batch of allgrain bourbon as promised to my kids for presents.
      I've been working through a 50# bag of hen scratch (~60% corn, 40% wheat),
      beer stripping each batch into a carboy for the final spirit run. Each
      batch involved boiling and cooling to first conversion temp, boiling and
      cooling to second conversion temp, and boiling (to deal with what seems like
      a kinda septic process) and cooling to yeast pitching. Ferment on the grain,
      press in my nesting-perforated-polypail and filter bag press, and beer
      strip.

      That's alot of boiling and stirring to avoid a lot of scorching, so this
      last batch, I decided to cut my effort a bit and press the converted and
      unpitched grain, and then to hell with the final boil, just pitch the yeast
      (a starter of Gert Strand's whiskey yeast from a previous batch, a technique
      that has worked well in the past). This way, I could start cooking the last
      batch while the current batch was fermenting, and with less effort.

      Big mistake!

      I am now the proud owner of my first vinegar fermentation in 50 years of
      distillation, 5 gallons of the ugliest, sourest shit I have ever
      encountered. This morning it gets poured out. A chastened man, I will
      start the last batch cooking, the old, hard way.

      A corner cut is a corner that will rise up to bite you on the ass, given a
      chance, but the kids WILL get their Christmas bourbon (even if still on
      oak).

      Zymurgy Bob