Greetings people.

  • porkpie98uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
      Hello there. I've been brewing for a while, but have only recently
      started reading about distilling. I thought it may be useful to
      contact the people that have done it before :)

      At the minute, space and cash mean that I wont be able to build a
      still. So I'll be forced to use one of the "Still thats not a still"
      methods shown at homedistillers.org.

      I'm setting up an ice still shortly. But before that I thought I'd
      experiment with freeze distilling. I know that the ice still will be
      more effective, but I thought I'd experiment with the simplest ways
      first and see what suits me best.

      Finding information on freeze distilling is incredibly hard,
      probably because most people don't consider it a useful way of
      distilling. What I'm planning to do is freeze up a 2l bottle of my
      12% alcoholic water, and then let about 300ml thaw out into a
      bottle. Does that seem like the logical way to do things?

      I'm kind of assuming that this group deals with all methods of
      distillation and not just the main three still types.

      Glad to be part of the group :)
    • Robert Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2005
        Hi Porkpie,
        welcome, but you do know there's a sister group to this one:
        new_distillers. You may find you get a better response there.
        Anyway, down to freezing, the point of it is that the water will
        freeze, leaving a stronger alcohol solution still liquid. So all you
        need to do is put the brew in the freezer, wait, then pour off the
        liquid. Hey presto, stronger booze.
        However, anything that doesn't solidify remains in the booze: flavour,
        colour etc.
        Cheers,
        Rob.
        p.s. distilling or any means of concentrating alcohol is illegal in the
        UK.

        --- porkpie98uk <overfiend@...> wrote:

        > Hello there. I've been brewing for a while, but have only recently
        > started reading about distilling. I thought it may be useful to
        > contact the people that have done it before :)
        >
        > At the minute, space and cash mean that I wont be able to build a
        > still. So I'll be forced to use one of the "Still thats not a still"
        > methods shown at homedistillers.org.
        >
        > I'm setting up an ice still shortly. But before that I thought I'd
        > experiment with freeze distilling. I know that the ice still will be
        > more effective, but I thought I'd experiment with the simplest ways
        > first and see what suits me best.
        >
        > Finding information on freeze distilling is incredibly hard,
        > probably because most people don't consider it a useful way of
        > distilling. What I'm planning to do is freeze up a 2l bottle of my
        > 12% alcoholic water, and then let about 300ml thaw out into a
        > bottle. Does that seem like the logical way to do things?
        >
        > I'm kind of assuming that this group deals with all methods of
        > distillation and not just the main three still types.
        >
        > Glad to be part of the group :)

        Cheers,
        Rob.

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.